Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #151
biker chick
n00b

Oddometer: 5
GREAT REPORT Douf!! And we don't mind the rippoffs .......we cerainly do it ALL the time with our BEST friends...and that is what you guys are after this trip!
The reason we've been a bit quiet is the rush to get back to work, catch up on "home" stuff and holidays...having just had a spate of public holidays and more on the horizon we are all trying to get some riding in...but not doing too brilliantly actually... Splat has done an ET trip with the Buell riders group(HATED him for that!) and a track day (EVEN more envy!!!) but I have been kinda stuffed by bike problems---and yes the Beemer did give problems after the trip but the foremost reason I bought BMW payed off with BMW-on-call and excellent warrantys fixing it all
First longish breakfast run this weekend and your explaining of the reason why we ride was brought back again- actually realised that riding is the ONLY thing that keeps those "voices" in my head quiet ...... and that is definately needed at least twice a week to keep me sane after commuting everyday!!

We are planning to do a trip to you guys - finances and job prospects permitting ----trips like this are the only reason to be working afterall

It was a fate inspired chance posting that got all of us together and we will all be remembereing this when the doldrums of life set in! Thanks for the great companionship, the laughs, the things you taught us, the fun, the help and the graciousness that got you through our shared exeriences.........Until next time!!
biker chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #152
Douf OP
Limey Bitch

Oddometer: 770
Tour T-shirts: Get 'em While They're Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by edeslaur
Man, you've got T-shirt style, that's for sure! Thanks!
Only $20 each - two for $30

Seriously - I think something semi-official is in order for the U.S. leg. I'm picturing Wimpy/Fluid Film logos on the front with an appropriate legend of some kind. Then, since you guys apparently enjoy wearing something a little offensive, how about the legendary shot of Mikie and his amazing barking bullet hole screened onto the back?

Douf

Douf screwed with this post 04-14-2009 at 03:50 PM
Douf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #153
Douf OP
Limey Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshik
btw Phil ... GREAT write-up ...
You have a unique way of capturing moments into words ... fcuking hilarious.

For those of you who are interested ... below is the link to the rest of the ride reports ...
http://www.tbforum.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=25592
(this thread died after Phil announced his ride report .. with good reason)

This one is done by MikeSA
http://www.tbforum.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=26482
Hey Koshik,

Glad you liked the report - although in retrospect I think you were probably the most likely to enjoy it, since on the whole you got out of it with a little less crap than the rest of the crew .
I'm not sure if I added that much to the other reports in terms of basic content though - in fact if one's intent was to just glean as much information about the trip as possible, then those are probably a better bet. In reality, all I did was: steal most of the basic info from the other reports, then attempt to use fifteen words wherever one would normally do - I also had a propensity to that in my youth apparently, which Gary reminded of when making the college education jibe. Receiving a graded lab paper back from a college professor (which I had expended a good deal of effort on I might add), flipping through the pages I noticed one entire sheet of my supposedly factual prose had a bracket drawn around it with the attached legend 'THIS IS ALL WAFFLE (=bullshit)'. I just knew if I kept that skill in my back pocket, it would eventually come in handy somewhere.

Douf
Old 04-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #154
Douf OP
Limey Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker chick
GREAT REPORT Douf!! And we don't mind the rippoffs .......we cerainly do it ALL the time with our BEST friends...and that is what you guys are after this trip!
The reason we've been a bit quiet is the rush to get back to work, catch up on "home" stuff and holidays...having just had a spate of public holidays and more on the horizon we are all trying to get some riding in...but not doing too brilliantly actually... Splat has done an ET trip with the Buell riders group(HATED him for that!) and a track day (EVEN more envy!!!) but I have been kinda stuffed by bike problems---and yes the Beemer did give problems after the trip but the foremost reason I bought BMW payed off with BMW-on-call and excellent warrantys fixing it all
First longish breakfast run this weekend and your explaining of the reason why we ride was brought back again- actually realised that riding is the ONLY thing that keeps those "voices" in my head quiet ...... and that is definately needed at least twice a week to keep me sane after commuting everyday!!

We are planning to do a trip to you guys - finances and job prospects permitting ----trips like this are the only reason to be working afterall

It was a fate inspired chance posting that got all of us together and we will all be remembereing this when the doldrums of life set in! Thanks for the great companionship, the laughs, the things you taught us, the fun, the help and the graciousness that got you through our shared exeriences.........Until next time!!
Excellent post: thanks Cindy

Spat, eh: at least the other riders can't have been complaining too much about his riding habits at the track day

I didn't know if my 'why I ride' experiences were particularly common, or it was just me; so thanks for the feedback. That part was one of the rare occasions when the report wasn't tongue in cheek.

I hear what you're saying about BMW on call: that's definitely got me thinking. There's a report on this site somewhere concerning a couple starting a trip out of Atlanta. About 5-600 miles out of town, one of the big GS's they were riding had the infamous transmission issues. However, although it was a holiday weekend, BMW on call contacts got a new transmission sourced and a mechanic located to work on the bike (on a Sunday too), and they were back on the road within two days. You can't put a price on that.

Looking forward to seeing you guys over here soon.

Douf
Old 04-15-2009, 02:46 AM   #155
Douf OP
Limey Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat_SA
And with apologies to Mikie - the correct translation for 'F$%K You Mikie' in Afrikaans is 'F$%K You Mikie'. It's universally understood!!!
Ah yes Paul: remind me once again, what does 'Garies' mean in Afrikaans?

Douf

Douf screwed with this post 04-15-2009 at 05:44 AM
Old 04-15-2009, 04:40 AM   #156
metaljockey
Dodgy SOB

Oddometer: 279
I've been following this thread for some time now (no pun intended, I also battle to write in a shorter time than the trip).

I much enjoyed it, one tends to forget that even an on-road trip can be a rich experience. And fun to see it through foreign eyes too.

I'm glad you had a good time over here.
metaljockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #157
Douf OP
Limey Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey
I've been following this thread for some time now (no pun intended, I also battle to write in a shorter time than the trip).

I much enjoyed it, one tends to forget that even an on-road trip can be a rich experience. And fun to see it through foreign eyes too.

I'm glad you had a good time over here.

I appreciate you taking the time to read my report - getting a little positive feedback certainly makes the whole endeavor feel more worthwhile.

As far as the road riding is concerned: personally if I'm visiting a different country - let alone another continent - for the first time, my primary motivation is to see as much of the place as possible; so given the typical time constraints that most of us unfortunate working stiffs are planning around, I feel a mainly road based trip is usually the best way to accomplish this.

The day after we battled through the sand to Lamberts Bay, I remember Gary mentioning that he wasn't even bothered about doing any more off roading unless there was actually something worth seeing at the end of it, which certainly struck a chord in my mind. There's plenty of difficult terrain to ride in the U.S.: so for me, spending time doing that in another country, when I could be soaking in so much more of the environment on a bigger mileage day is just not worth it. Of course all of this is moot given a larger time window to work with.

Assuming all the parameters of my particular circumstances, I felt like it was the perfect solution for a first time visit, and furthermore, even though I wasn't initially too happy about the prospect of travelling with such a big group, I'm totally sold on the idea after the overwhelmingly positive experience we had with the SA crowd.

Riding through the sparsely populated northern section of the country, one observation I did make - which may or may not be correct - was that there weren't that many off road options anyway. I'd assumed there'd be little dirt roads running off in all directions, but the alternatives looked pretty limited to be honest. I don't really remember noticing if other areas of the country were any different.

Douf
Old 04-16-2009, 02:26 AM   #158
Koshik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douf
Hey Koshik,

Glad you liked the report - although in retrospect I think you were probably the most likely to enjoy it, since on the whole you got out of it with a little less crap than the rest of the crew .
REALLY !!!!

With regards to content.. you did add to it.
Our lives would be so different without a picture of Mickie's bullet hole

Koshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:35 AM   #159
MikieSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
REALLY !!!!

With regards to content.. you did add to it.
Our lives would be so different without a picture of Mickie's bullet hole

The 8th wonder of the world
MikieSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:51 AM   #160
Douf OP
Limey Bitch

Quote:
REALLY !!!!
Yes REALLY!!!! Consider that at least you haven't suffered the ignominy of haven't your largely unclothed oceanside rear end plastered all over these pages even though - if you look back through the picture archive - there may be one or two of those shots available. I'm all heart.

Douf
Old 04-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #161
Koshik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Yes REALLY!!!! Consider that at least you haven't suffered the ignominy of haven't your largely unclothed oceanside rear end plastered all over these pages even though - if you look back through the picture archive - there may be one or two of those shots available. I'm all heart.

Douf
Mercy ..

save the masses from the 2 ocean beached whale ..
Koshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:35 AM   #162
quicktoys2
ADVrider junkie :)

Oddometer: 629
Thank you for the interesting report. I was born in South Africa and lived there for 22 happy years of my life ......... and I just saw more of South Africa through your report than I did in 22 years.

Lekker stuff
Soto
Old 04-17-2009, 03:00 AM   #163
Splat_SA
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Ah yes Paul: remind me once again, what does 'Garies' mean in Afrikaans?

Douf
I'd hate to think

but the name is apparently a Khoisan (Bushman) word meaning "couchgrass"...maybe translated in American to couch-potato ??
Splat_SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:03 AM   #164
Douf OP
Limey Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktoys2
Thank you for the interesting report. I was born in South Africa and lived there for 22 happy years of my life ......... and I just saw more of South Africa through your report than I did in 22 years.

Lekker stuff
Soto

Wow! That single comment just made this whole effort worthwhile. Thanks

Douf
Old 04-17-2009, 07:09 AM   #165
Douf OP
Limey Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat_SA
I'd hate to think

but the name is apparently a Khoisan (Bushman) word meaning "couchgrass"...maybe translated in American to couch-potato ??
Couch-potato? Garies? A more inappropriate euphemism for our mileage motivated friend, I could not think of.

While we're on the subject of my esteemed riding companion: given the (extremely remote) possibility that there's one of you out there who's been utterly fascinated by this whole turgid episode and can just not face another day of life without a regular fix of my thrillingly gripping prose, I've started a retrospective piece on an Alaskan Ironbutt adventure that Gary, his brother Joe and I did a couple of years ago. It's at

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...78#post9589578

and so far, there's already been some argument between Gary and I about just how far we traveled. So - dear readers - rest assured that in dealing with the events pertaining to this epic tale of human endurance and sensitized sphincters, your familiarity with my usually reliable sense of factual accuracy will once again prevail.

Douf