ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2004, 01:21 AM   #1
pierce OP
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Lost Coast ?

Anyone here ridden the Lost Coast?

I'm specifically curious about Usal Rd and Kings Peak Rds... mid summer or early fall... Are those navigable in dry weather with a road bike such as my R1100RS if I'm slow and careful?
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:33 AM   #2
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,620
hi Pierce!

south of Usal beach is realtively easy, but the road north out of there is another story. while it *might* be hard packed, it can be a crap shoot as for as conditions go, and aside from the fact that if it's dry you're possibly going to be dealing with knee-deep dust in many spots through there, check out your topos; a lot of that is steep!
if it's not dry, it's slicker than snot on either side of Usal.

i don't think i'd try it on a road bike.; and if i was carrying a camping/touring load, probably not even without knobbies. if i was carrying a load and/or on a road bike and/or without knobs, i wouldn't go back there solo.

but i guess you could try it... let us know how it goes if you do!

cheers!
e

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:55 PM   #3
pierce OP
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch
hi Pierce!

south of Usal beach is realtively easy, but the road north out of there is another story. while it *might* be hard packed, it can be a crap shoot as for as conditions go, and aside from the fact that if it's dry you're possibly going to be dealing with knee-deep dust in many spots through there, check out your topos; a lot of that is steep!
I wish I had better maps. I have 15' and 7.5' topos (on CD), but they are a bit out of date... Presumably, Usal beach is the one at Usal Creek, which isn't that far from the south end?

I was thinking of starting at the south and heading north, which is backwards from most travelogues I've seen.

Yeah, I just traced Usal on my topo program... Am I right in assuming that the 'pavement', such as it is, begins again around "Four Corners", where Briceland-Thorn Rd meets Usal, about 26.5 miles from the south end? Or is it gnarly dirt all the way to Shelter Cove Rd (which is about 6 more miles)?

Looks like the beach is 7-8 miles from the south end, and after leaving the beach, the next 4 miles climbs about 1600', after that its up and down for the next 20 miles or so.

I guess I could try for the beach, I was going to camp somewhere near the south end anyways, and if it looks too brutal, I turn around, and go around, and come back in on Briceland or Shelter Cove Rds and make it around Mattole and on up to Ferndale.

Hey, anyone wanna trade a 'GS for a nice R1100RS?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
sp4ce
Orange Invader

Oddometer: 431
I went in to Usal beach a couple years ago fully loaded on my GS w/o knobs and it was tame. I saw Honda a civic back there. It all depends on the weather (and if they've run a grader through yet this year probably.)

I would say if the weather report is clear poke your head down and have a look...it's only 7 miles and it's possible your RS would be fine.

Usal beach is a really cool place to camp BTW. I have been meaning to get back up there for some time.

sp4ce
sp4ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 02:28 PM   #5
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Oddometer: 209
I was just there last week riding Kings Peak and Usal Roads between Honeydew and the Sinkyone SP on my KTM. I didn't ride Usal all the way through to the south. What I rode of them were both tame enough that any car could have negotiated them.

Mostly hard pack with a dusting of gravel on top. A lot of annoying washboards sections on the trafficed parts of Usal and Chemise Mountain around Whale Gulch and some Sandy parts after turning out at 'four corners' into the park. It depends on how comfortable you are on that bike on tight windy dirt roads and I can't say anything about the condition of Usal south of four corners, which is probably what you really want to find out.

Kings peak road is graded much better (or at least trafficed less) with a few shallow streams trickling over it in places.
Attached Images

kurtw screwed with this post 06-18-2004 at 03:37 PM
kurtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 02:30 PM   #6
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Oddometer: 209
This is in Sinkyone SP:
Attached Images

kurtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 03:33 PM   #7
pierce OP
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtw
I was just there last week riding Kings Peak and Usal Roads between Honeydew and the Sinkyone SP on my KTM. I didn't ride Usal all the way through to the south. What I road of them were both tame enough that any car could have negotiated them.

Mostly hard pack with a dusting of gravel on top. A lot of annoying washboards sections on the trafficed parts of Usal and Chemise Mountain around Whale Gulch and some Sandy parts after turning out at 'four corners' into the park. It depends on how comfortable you are on that bike on tight windy dirt roads and I can't say anything about the condition of Usal south of four corners, which is probably what you really want to find out.

Kings peak road is graded much better (or at least trafficed less) with a few shallow streams trickling over it in places.
awesome. now I just have to find the time to do this trip... the time I'd originally envisioned (first week of july), I'm taking the wife and kid#2 to Sequoia Nat'l Park with the tent trailer ...
Old 06-24-2004, 01:36 PM   #8
Noguz
Rest in peace, William.

Oddometer: 277
Usal Rd not recommended for R1100RS....

I rode the Usal Road last summer, also King Peak and a bunch of others. Of all the roads I would not try on a R1100RS (I own one) the Usal would be the one. Deep silt in almost every corner. I dumped my KLR in silt-covered ruts about ten miles south of the intersection with Whitethorn Rd, on a straight, the silt was so deep there was no way to anticipate the ruts that lay underneath. King Peak and others would be fine, it's all hard and dry, but the Usal Road has millions of cubic yards of silt everywhere. Your cell phone won't work out there and it might take days to get help if something went wrong.

Just my 2 cents.
Noguz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 01:43 PM   #9
pierce OP
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noguz
I rode the Usal Road last summer, also King Peak and a bunch of others. Of all the roads I would not try on a R1100RS (I own one) the Usal would be the one. Deep silt in almost every corner. I dumped my KLR in silt-covered ruts about ten miles south of the intersection with Whitethorn Rd, on a straight, the silt was so deep there was no way to anticipate the ruts that lay underneath. King Peak and others would be fine, it's all hard and dry, but the Usal Road has millions of cubic yards of silt everywhere. Your cell phone won't work out there and it might take days to get help if something went wrong.

Just my 2 cents.
ah, ok. so I'll maybe take Usal to the beach campground, then backtrack to the highway, and go around to Shelter Cove Rd, and take Kings Peak just so I can say I did
Old 06-24-2004, 03:05 PM   #10
sp4ce
Orange Invader

Oddometer: 431
Keep us posted on your plans. If I'm free that weekend I'll come up and ride backup.

sp4ce
sp4ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 03:39 PM   #11
Whammo
Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer: 2,156
up there a few weeks ago...

and I say go for it, dude, you'll be fine. just take it slow, and you'll be able to tell people who wouldn't do it on a dirtbike that you did Usal on an RS! how cool would that be? it's was hairy last year, but it's been graded and is now just a good, long fire road.
isn't that what this site is all about? forget the naysayers and have a ball.

p.s. watch for bears...had one running down Usal 15ft. in front of us.