User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
DmsFab OP
Banned

Oddometer: 451
Bike shipping, customs clearance, import-export

I have searched and search with little answers. I am beyond confused about shipping motorcycles around the world from country to country. I am planning a trip to Australia around March or so.

UPS: I have found that UPS'ing a bike from Denver to Brisbane in 2 crates in only $1300-ish!! That is for the customs clearance, duties included, hazardous materials(gas tank/battery) and hold for pickup at the airport.

Here is the quote for reference:

Quote:
UPS Air Freight ConsolidatedSM
(Non-Guaranteed)
1,295.87 USD
Hide Details
Monday
11/29/2010
04:00 PM
Tuesday
12/07/2010
661.22 USD
148.88 USD
35.00 USD
78.00 USD
Included
33.75 USD
45.49 USD
25.50 USD
52.50 USD
215.53 USD
0.00 USD
1,295.87 USD

http://www.upsfreight.com/

By going this route, all I need is a Carnet or post the cash bond right? If I ship it in 2 crates a different times, can I just pick up both crates and then assemble the bike, taking it to get an Oz "registeration"? It will be titled, resistered and insured in the US. I am looking at getting the international insurance that covers US and Oz.

As near as I can figure out, the Carnet for a 2000 XR650R and all my gear is around $1000. Does this sound right? Please help me!!!!!
DmsFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
DmsFab OP
Banned

No one has shipped a bike this way? Someone has got to have some info of Carnets and they related issues with shipping a bike to Oz.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 785
You need to get a carnet and can get it from the Canadian Automobile association.

Also, check to make sure that as an individual, you can actually use UPS freight. I've tried before and I've been told it isn't possible.

Regardless of the carrier, I *HIGHLY* recommend you air freight. It may be more expensive up front but atleast you can manage the costs better than oversea. I've shipped my bike twice and both times extremely regretted not using air. I'll never ship by sea again unless I'm traveling with the bike.

I wouldn't try the two pieces thing. I know if you're shipping LCL that the volume of a moto is typically below the minimum, so you'll be paying exactly 2x the shipping cost just to save $500 on the processing fee of the carnet.

Why don't you want to get a carnet? I've seen the two box ship thing done before with a friend who shipped to the USA from Germany and it really seemed like a PITA. I think he had parts spread over more than 2 boxes but had removed the engine from the frame. He didn't have any customs problems though
Old 11-18-2010, 06:06 AM   #4
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,139
Can't help with the UPSing thing, interesting idea though.

But I do know that the minimum value that CAA will issue a carnet for is CAD$5000. You can either front the cash yourself, and get all but $650 back when the carnet is discharged, or get the indemnity bond option and pay less up front, but also end up paying more when the carnet is discharged.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
DmsFab OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg
You need to get a carnet and can get it from the Canadian Automobile association.

Also, check to make sure that as an individual, you can actually use UPS freight. I've tried before and I've been told it isn't possible.

Regardless of the carrier, I *HIGHLY* recommend you air freight. It may be more expensive up front but atleast you can manage the costs better than oversea. I've shipped my bike twice and both times extremely regretted not using air. I'll never ship by sea again unless I'm traveling with the bike.

I wouldn't try the two pieces thing. I know if you're shipping LCL that the volume of a moto is typically below the minimum, so you'll be paying exactly 2x the shipping cost just to save $500 on the processing fee of the carnet.

Why don't you want to get a carnet? I've seen the two box ship thing done before with a friend who shipped to the USA from Germany and it really seemed like a PITA. I think he had parts spread over more than 2 boxes but had removed the engine from the frame. He didn't have any customs problems though

I am thinking that getting a carnet is the way to go. Ship the bike and my gear in 1 crate and that's it. I am just trying to keep from spending a huge amount of money with shipping/customs and the like.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
DmsFab OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF
Can't help with the UPSing thing, interesting idea though.

But I do know that the minimum value that CAA will issue a carnet for is CAD$5000. You can either front the cash yourself, and get all but $650 back when the carnet is discharged, or get the indemnity bond option and pay less up front, but also end up paying more when the carnet is discharged.

My whole setup is right at $5000. Looking at the carnet budget calculator, it looks like my budget is around $600 for the carnet. Does that sound right?

If I go the carnet route, what else do I have to have? UPS freight has costums clearance included. I am sure there are more fees. These always is.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
daveg
no longer homeless

It is a fixed fee and the amount you hold in escrow is dependent on the countries you visit with it. If you're using CAA's site (which is excellent!), you can click various countries and see how the amount in escrow increases. IIRC, Iran is super high.

The $600 is just the fee for the paperwork from the CAA
Old 11-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
DmsFab OP
Banned

Quote:
It is a fixed fee and the amount you hold in escrow is dependent on the countries you visit with it. If you're using CAA's site (which is excellent!), you can click various countries and see how the amount in escrow increases. IIRC, Iran is super high.

The $600 is just the fee for the paperwork from the CAA

That $600 included the bond fee. Is that what you are talking about? I think I might be retarded! I am using this site as reference: http://www.atacarnet.com/4StepProces...ourCarnet.aspx

This is confusing! Thanks for the help!
Old 11-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
DmsFab OP
Banned

Ok, the CAA website says I have to put up $1240. That is for a used bike with a $3000 value.

CAA fee= $700
Indemnity Fee= $540
TOTAL= $1240
Amount returned on discharge= $232.50

Here is the ATA websites budget worksheet. This is for budgeting the cost of the carnet....? https://www.atacarnet.com//uploads/file-553.pdf

DmsFab screwed with this post 11-20-2010 at 12:08 AM
Old 11-20-2010, 01:18 AM   #10
daveg
no longer homeless

My understanding of the CAA website-- note that I didn't get a carnet for my trip because I cut out Australia because I don't have the money

http://www.caa.ca/travel/travel-carnet-e.cfm
Suggests:
CAA Fees (plus taxes) Indemnity Option Fee (incl taxes) Total Returned on Discharge Net Cost
$700.00 $540.00 * $1,240.00 $232.50 $1,007.50
So they charge you $1240 and then give you back $232 when you turn the carnet back in, costing a net $1007

Just take a minute and call the Carnet lady. There is only one person who does it and she's super nice.

The other issue is:
Q: What if my vehicle is worth almost nothing, how do you figure out my guarantee?
A: The minimum guarantee we will require is $5000.00 Cad.

What bike do you want to send over there? I think you also have to pass a road safety inspection upon entering australia. This is in addition to the customs BS where they demand a hypercleaned bike where I've heard that most people have failed and have to pay another few hundred $$ to get it "professionally" cleaned at the airport.

Come join me in south east asia :) You can airfreight your bike for $2000 or so here and no carnet is needed

That being said, I'm still waiting for my bike because I messed up and thought it would be cheaper to ship via ocean. Big mistake.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:29 AM   #11
DmsFab OP
Banned

Quote:
My understanding of the CAA website-- note that I didn't get a carnet for my trip because I cut out Australia because I don't have the money

http://www.caa.ca/travel/travel-carnet-e.cfm
Suggests:
CAA Fees (plus taxes)Indemnity Option Fee (incl taxes)TotalReturned on DischargeNet Cost
$700.00 $540.00 * $1,240.00 $232.50 $1,007.50
So they charge you $1240 and then give you back $232 when you turn the carnet back in, costing a net $1007

Just take a minute and call the Carnet lady. There is only one person who does it and she's super nice.

The other issue is:
Q: What if my vehicle is worth almost nothing, how do you figure out my guarantee?
A: The minimum guarantee we will require is $5000.00 Cad.

What bike do you want to send over there? I think you also have to pass a road safety inspection upon entering australia. This is in addition to the customs BS where they demand a hypercleaned bike where I've heard that most people have failed and have to pay another few hundred $$ to get it "professionally" cleaned at the airport.

Come join me in south east asia :) You can airfreight your bike for $2000 or so here and no carnet is needed

That being said, I'm still waiting for my bike because I messed up and thought it would be cheaper to ship via ocean. Big mistake.

The bike is spotless right now and I will have it steam cleaned before crating also. That is not to say that those asses wont make me do it again.

I am trying to export a 2000 XR650R. I got it for such a good price that I can not pass it up. Every after prepping it and the air freight, it is half of what they are getting for the same bike in Oz. BUT, with all this carnet crap, it maybe easier and cheaper to just sell the XRR and buy something down there. I know that I can use my CO rego in Oz but you have to get a "permit" to use it. The bike will be made legal with all lights and such. I am listing the bikes value at $3000 for the Carnet. I readlly should call the carnet lady.

Would you use the ATA site or the CAA??
Old 11-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
daveg
no longer homeless

I know what you mean. I ran the same numbers with my DRZ searching all over craiglist-like sites and forums and still came up with freight both ways would be cheaper than buying an Oz bike.

I'm not familiar with ATA and all the americans I've known have used the CAA site and talked to the carnet lady, her name is Suzanne.

The emails I got from Australian bureaucrats suggested to follow this website:
http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm

Quote:
Howdy!!! Aussies are not as friendly as the americans, i must admit. Nevertheless, we recived great help from the custom in Sydney. There were myth about importation into sydney is more easy than other ports.

to my transport.

over usa side, you must get the original airway bill from them. then u fly over to australia.
when u reached australia, call up that company. for example, i use schnidle logistic in LA as my forwarder, they uses Quantas. so their job ended when they handed my the airway bill. when i reach australia, i call up quantas cargo department to find out about my shipment using the tracking number. (or can go online to check).

when it's ready, i took the bloody expensive taxi ride with my documents (carnet, bike registration from singapore, passport and any others)

went to the quantas cargo, take q number, show them my original airway bill, then they give me another pile of forms that they had created, and i paid a fee of a couple of hundreds...cant remember.

take all these papers, go to the customs office near the airport (walking distance), take a queue number that leads you to 'inspection'. not 'import'.
at the inspection counter, i showed that lady my airway bill and explain to her whats happening and tell them that im importing the bike with the carnet. (believe me, no body knows whats going to happen...she challanged me a few questions like where is my stamp on the carnet when i exit singapore...stupid question). so that lady will fix an appointment for me with a custom officer to go down to the quantas cargo for inspection.

we r lucky to have the appointment on that dayt itself, about 2-3 hrs later.

the officer came and meet us, we go into quantas office, there is another stage to pass... the dirt check. the custom officer is there to check if the VIN number and bike tally with the carnet, then they stamp on the carnet, took a piece off from a page and return me the carnet. the custom officer looked at the 'dirt' officer, which they are checking for dirt on my bike. dirt officer says...ok...clean! both officer shake hands, we paid a bit more $ to the counter and that's it. the safety reglation there is quite tough... must wear steel toes when we enter the warehouse...
they did not ask me about insurance or tax or road worthness test cert. if they ask me, i would say the carnet covers everything....
That was the email I got from my singaporean friend (http://singaporedream-rtw.blogspot.com) regarding his experience in bringing in his sing bike from the USA to Australia.

Basically that sums up all the productive research I did for bringing my bike to Oz.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #13
DmsFab OP
Banned

Cool, that for the research help. Between you and the Horizons Unlimited group, I think I have it figured out!