Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
kayesport.com OP
Richard Kaye

Oddometer: 151
around the world on five KTM adventures route advice and help please

good morning

just to give a brief outline of what we are doing we are planning a trip to go around the world in reality it started in Iceland a few months ago

the bikes are now down in Italy and we are preparing them for the proper adventure

the plan is slightly non conventional

we are doing legs of this trip and abandoning the bikes after every 14 days
doing it this way we have no time restraints we can visit whatever we want and I know it's probably going to take about six years

the first leg will be
we leave Italy in beginning of December head up to Hungary Romania down to Istanbul

the second leg

Istanbul through Turkey border of Iran this is when it starts to get interesting

we want to go through Iran into Pakistan then into India we would like to get to Himalaya base Next summer

after that back down into India and then try and do the China leg this is going to be quite an interesting logistical one anybody have any experience on this side I have some contacts I know we have to get new driving licences and various other restrictions

then we will head south going through which ever Asian countries we fancy then to Indonesia Australia Tasmania New Zealand then put the bikes on a boat across to South Africa

zigzag backup Africa then again put the bite on a boat back down to Argentina then zigzag all the way up over Russia back down into Europe

if anybody has any good tips information places to go which we can build into the root fantastic

this trip is not designed to go from a to B it is designed to do what we feel like it's very unusual but the people I am with have the resources to be able to do this kind of trip so funding is not a real issue

current situation with the bikes is

panniers and top box with extra canisters on the back for water and oil
camel toe
done

Safari fuel tanks 40 L with crushed bars done

spotlights done

heated grips done

sump guard done

replace standard rims for much stronger ones done as we bent all the rims in Iceland standard rubbish

three bikes are the normal adventures two of the new r models

all the normal bikes have now had their suspension modified to be the same as the r model

continental twin sidewall tyres done

all bikes with GPS Garman with rally antivibration mounts done

all bikes have radio systems done

crankcase protection done

bar rises done

if anybody else thinks of something else which is important please send me an e-mail in case I have forgotten

I need an electronic service manual repair manual to take on the computer

I am looking for a top bag so we can put some Apple iPad is on the tank these are excellent for travelling sometimes much better than GPS

obviously we will not always have a signal but that life

so if anybody has any suggestions for the first leg places to visit on my way up through Europe round hungry Rumania and down to Istanbul would be much appreciated

once we set off I will start a thread on to trips and try and keep everybody up-to-date

thanks for your help in advance
www.endurotuscany.com
kayesport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:24 AM   #2
kayesport.com OP
Richard Kaye

Oddometer: 151
Some more questions which you may be able to help on

what is a good worldwide insurance company any information from anybody from previous trips

just purchasing the radios for the bikes now any advice which are the best systems

Garmin GPS 660s any advice on these units maps etc for around the world not necessary for all the detail in the maps as this slows the system down so much

any help would be gratefully appreciated thanks
www.endurotuscany.com
kayesport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 787
I know that with China you need to hire a guide and a driver for the guide. I also believe that you have to have a pre-planned route with hotels booked.

It seems that the most common route is to go air frieght your bike from Nepal to Bangkok then tour S.E. Asia.

A big paperwork nugget you'll need to round up is a Carnet de Passage. They're a bitch to use and expensive as hell if you fuck up. One of my friends nearly fucked up and was almost out US$10,000.

Iran is tough to get a Visa. Not everyone gets one and it gets very complicated if your party is mixed nationalities.

RTW trip planning is tricky. I'm currently on one and have already deviated from my plan substantially. I was supposed to go from Seattle to Australia then to S.E. Asia. I've since cut out Australia because I met too many ppl who said it would be too pricey.

Having a group of 5 is going to be extremely difficult. Be ready to splinter into subgroups . What's nice is with 5 poeple, you could realistically budget traveling through china with a guide. Mostly what's annoying is that you'll need to find lots of hotel rooms when you stop as well as parking for 5 bikes. On my South America trip, it was hard enough when I was traveling with my friend when we'd try to fit two bikes in a hotel lobby.. I can't imagine 5!

Good luck and safe travels!