Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #31
enzo906
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I have them on my DRZ400, I managed 6000 km's from the original bridgestone tyres and have only done 500K's with these Michelin's. They tram track a little too easily and are rubbish on the road in the wet. They seem good in Mud and are stable on Freeway at 100KPH. The front doesn't brake that well on the road wet or dry. I do 60% road 40% dirt riding and only put these on as they were cheap. I will replace them with Dunlop D604? I think that's their names, next as I have heard good things about those. These are too dirt oriented for my riding and not as good as the gritty BStones the bike came with (except in the mud were they are fantastic). I don't get a howl from them yet maybe too new? They are nice and quiet on the road.
Oh and they are rated to 170KPH so they are safe to use on big trailies as well as midsize like mine. I hope to get 4000K's from this set and then swap to the Dunlop's.
enzo906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #32
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,172
For anyone considering the AC10, remember that Michelin do bill them as a 'road legal MX tyre' - there are possibly better dual-sport tyres (wear wise and wet-weather tarmac handling) out there, but they most likely will compromise in off-road conditions?

The AC10 is a pretty soft compound (compared to a more street-orientated knobbly tyre), but that's why it works well in rocks and loose going, and the tread pattern is ideal for muddy conditions too.

On a lighter weight bike (ie. 450cc or less), I find them very predictable on dry tarmac - I've just ridden my XR400 2500 miles to the Spanish Pyrenees and back, and yes, the front was totally shot by then, but I had a hoot! On wet roads, you have to be mindful of the tread pattern, and take it easier perhaps, but personally I've found the soft compound works very well, very predictable.

If you use the front on the highway a lot, you do find the alternate lugs wear unevenly (as Cruz mentions) - I imagine is is due to cornering and braking forces acting on them - the pair of off-centre lugs eventually ramp down while the centre lugs wear less, so the tyre does end up looking like a cog after 1500 miles or so of street riding...

I's say they are an excellent tyre for an enduro type bike if the majority of your riding is on the dirt and/or the odd competition such as hare & hounds enduros... but if you want to do more road miles, and/or have a bigger bike, the Michelin Desert offers better wear, and a much fatter rear tyre (140) for traction...

J x

ps. I saw a set of those BFG Crossangos, and yes, I'd say they came out of the same mould! - although the compound may be different perhaps (and the sidewall lettering, of course x)
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:08 AM   #33
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Front and Rear AC-10's were mounted on my KDX200 when I bought it. My impression is that the rubber compound is very hard. They do not grip well on hard surfaces. The rear wore out about as fast as any regular knobby, but the AC-10 has shorter knobs to start with.
The front is still on the KDX, and I do not like it. I am trying to wear it out, but it seemingly lasts forever. Some of the side knobs are tearing off, so it is definately time to get it off of there. I hate the way it handles. It feels like the profile is very "V" shaped, with very tall center knobs, and short side knobs. The tire does not stick well in tight, high speed turns in the woods.
IMO - There are much better DOT knobbies out there. AC-10's are *not* inexpensive.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:33 AM   #34
GreyDawggg
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 463
I have only used Michelin deserts on the rear. Personally I've found that the ac10 on the front grips really well in most terrain. I do seem to crash alot in clay/mud but I suppose the tire is not really to blame when the front slides out at speed over that slippy stuff. If you ride on tarmac with it, a strange wear pattern develops on the front ac10. Road isn't fun anyway
GreyDawggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #35
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Ac-10

I am have been doing a fair amount of research and these seem to be a better tire off road than the 606 and a bit worse on the pavement. But the findings also present that the tire lasts longer as well. While I wish they made the desert rear in a variety of widths "just like the 908rr one size rear only" I believe the AC-10 is going to be a good fit for my XCW.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #36
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool View Post
That 120 is just as wide as most 130 tires. It's no problem.
Waking up this old thread since I have a comparative pic of the AC10 along side 3 other tires. The AC10 is very low profile and it's carcass in between the knobs measures 135mm. All the tires in this pic are labeled as 120 tires.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #37
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 1,871
I have a set on my KLX. My riding is a third pavement, a third gravel, and a third off-road. I don't care for the narrower front but the wear and all-around performance over the 500 miles I've run them has been impressive.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #38
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Great tire for off roading as well as getting you to the trail and back. As for commuting on or using on the road a lot...why get a knobby at that point. That said it is decent on the road, considering it's a knobby.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #39
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
I use the AC10 on my airhead. The grip in sand is great but the front tire sucks. And some friends use them on there X Ch and Country's. The all like the rear and do Not like the front. But they are cheap...!

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #40
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
The AC10 is the only tyre im running on the front of my XR600, like valentino said 'put some thing you trust on the front and a round rubber thing on the back'
i was using the rears but being on an XR it chewed them pretty fast so now i just use el cheapos for the rear, but as for front the AC10 is what i trust. I keep around 33psi on the seal and drop to around 20-23 for anything else, i got 9k out of my last front, theres about a 5mm chicken strip on there so it can handle the seal pretty well except when wet, road conditions here might be a little different to there though.
But then everybody's got there own opinions/favourites most get there opinions from trying different makes/models till they find the one's that suits them and there rideing styles.
Try a set out if you dont like them try another. I reckon they rock........

my 2cents
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #41
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
MY AC-10 experience

I am runig the AC-10 on the rear and the Michellin Desert on the front. I have used this combo for over a year and just got back form a week long trip in Colorado..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820773

really like this combination. It handles all terrain very well. The side wall on both are stout and rocks don't even phase them.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #42
rkjjeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
I use them on my DRZ400S dirt only wheel set. they work fine for the kind of off roading i do. Great on gravel roads and fire trails. The one time I had them on asphalt they were load and bumpy as hell.
rkjjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #43
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
anybody got a pic of the 120 18 size mounted? on an xr6?

thanks

great thread
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #44
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 581
I have the Michelin MS3/MS2 on my Sherpa, I have maybe 60 miles on the set. These are like tractor tires, very similar to the AC-10, noise on teh street, great in the dirt. I seem to be happy with them.

SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #45
Dual Sport Armory
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
We are currently testing some AC-10's
our mechanic ran them on his XR600, he liked them but the side walls seemed a little soft, he was getting flats( but he's a hard charger)
I'm running them on my TXC250 and so far liking them more and more
our ridding has been mostly soft to some hard pak
Defiantly a off-road- intermediate terrain based tire

so far not bad anywhere
Dual Sport Armory is offline   Reply With Quote