Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2010, 05:03 AM   #91
cnj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRivers
Why not 2 cylinders from an R1????
Best idea right there! A WR500R. I'll take one.
cnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:20 AM   #92
zdfg
Koolaide Tester

Oddometer: 48
Build it, and they will come.
zdfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #93
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12
To compete with an F800GS? Maybe. But it would need to be retuned to reduce peak power, bring the power lower in the rev range, and increase torque.

In any event, NOT the equivalent of a 450cc Adv Thumper.
the 660 tenere would be yamaha's competition to the f800...even if it's not in the us YET.

a wr450r would have to split what the wr250r does and what the tenere does. guess time will tell if yamaha fells there is a need to.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #94
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
How far away is a overbored 290ccm wr250r/x with suspension mods, and the usual free flow stuf, and some nice programmer, and a little weight loss ?

The 450 would probably be heavier than the 250, and still not produce insane horsepower, and would still need to be uncorced, have the suspension reworked and so on.

Dont get me wrong, I would loooooove a 450ish, in the same style as the 250r/x, but i really dont think they can make the bike people want, at a very competitive price. Most people tend to be fine with a dr/klr/xt and so on, because of the lower price. Other people buy "race"bikes. When it comes to it, were not so many in between, the petition speaks for itself. Some 600ish votes is nothing. I think I could get more people to vote for me for the next election

The grass is alwyas greener on the other side. I think one could make its own wr450ish bike, for less than yamaha could sell em for. I think you can shave 15kg of a xt600 fairly easy by going with alu rims, and ditching the sock exhasut, trim the ass, and smaller blinkers, mirrors and stuff like that.

That gives you 140kg and around 40hp on the wheel with the right year and small mods, you have wide 5speed transmission, and a very tested and trusted motor. This is still no racebike, but add some usd forks and a new rear shock, and you can take this puppy anywhere.

It has 6000-10000km oil service limits, cant remember with the valves, its not 20.000miles, but then again, the 250 dont seem to hold the valves within limit that time anyway. Its still not a 450r but you have a bike capable of doing the same stuff, as i see a potential 450r do.

I dont know the dr and the klr wery well, but i've seen buildthreads of the same concept with thoose bikes.

I know the above is a little "out there" and tomorrow I might be thinking otherwise, but I would love some input, and would REALLy love to hear what people would expect of the 450 spec wise, know that they know the 250 so well.

Thx
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #95
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRivers
Why not 2 cylinders from an R1????
Hasn't Yamaha already did that?
But its in a Snowmobile.
Fuel Injected DOHC 500 twin.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #96
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Hasn't Yamaha already did that?
But its in a Snowmobile.
Fuel Injected DOHC 500 twin.

Yep the Phazer.. 80 ish claimed HP (not sure of the torque). From a reliability standpoint I'm pretty sure it would take the RXV right off the market. However I don't know what the engine weight is or how you would connect a transmission to it, or its dimensions.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #97
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet
Yep the Phazer.. 80 ish claimed HP (not sure of the torque). From a reliability standpoint I'm pretty sure it would take the RXV right off the market. However I don't know what the engine weight is or how you would connect a transmission to it, or its dimensions.
Thanks,
I found an article on it. Its actually a pair of YZ250F engines.
your right it would make an awesome powerplant for an open class bike.
To bad the AMA in their wisdom basically banned multi-cylindered dirtbikes from competition.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #98
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,464
AMA sucks anyway.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #99
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,169
I truly don't get the idea of looking for Japanese bikes to get what you want in a dual sport. I think Dirt Bike magazine said it best this month in their Husky 630 vs. KTM 690 test saying that big Japanese dual sport bikes "now occupy the role of budget commuters."

For 2011 you will be able to buy dirt worthy 450's from no less than four Euro companies. BMW, KTM and Beta already have them and Husky will be releasing one with the new BMW sourced motor. The BMW even gives you a three year warranty. So why all the hand wringing over Yamaha?

I have a closet full bumble bee yellow, red and blue Yamaha riding gear starting all the way back with DT's. But I still say screw Yamaha. They already lost me. You know that even if they do build a dual sport 450 it will be a WR in name only, weigh 300 pounds and maybe make as much horsepower as my old XT350.

Every dual sport event I go to is well over half Euro bikes now for a very good reason. People are obviously sick of half assed offerings from Japan and are buying KTM's and Huskies. Maybe the dual sport market is too small to be worthwhile to the Big Four. It isn't to other companies.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #100
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog
I truly don't get the idea of looking for Japanese bikes to get what you want in a dual sport. I think Dirt Bike magazine said it best this month in their Husky 630 vs. KTM 690 test saying that big Japanese dual sport bikes "now occupy the role of budget commuters."

For 2011 you will be able to buy dirt worthy 450's from no less than four Euro companies. BMW, KTM and Beta already have them and Husky will be releasing one with the new BMW sourced motor. The BMW even gives you a three year warranty. So why all the hand wringing over Yamaha?

I have a closet full bumble bee yellow, red and blue Yamaha riding gear starting all the way back with DT's. But I still say screw Yamaha. They already lost me. You know that even if they do build a dual sport 450 it will be a WR in name only, weigh 300 pounds and maybe make as much horsepower as my old XT350.

Every dual sport event I go to is well over half Euro bikes now for a very good reason. People are obviously sick of half assed offerings from Japan and are buying KTM's and Huskies. Maybe the dual sport market is too small to be worthwhile to the Big Four. It isn't to other companies.
You are missing something. Many people are willing to trade some horsepower and weight penalty for a lower maintenance on an ADV bike.

Do you know that the Wr250R manual specs 26k mile valve adjustments? Find out what it is for any of the Euro 250s and you will have your answer.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #101
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,169
If you are looking for low maintenance over decent suspension and power then there are still many choices that aren't blue. So, again, why the hand wringing over Yamaha? We are truly in a golden age of dual sports. There is something for everybody right now. Just shove the blue gear to the back of the closet.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #102
Mathias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog
If you are looking for low maintenance over decent suspension and power then there are still many choices that aren't blue. So, again, why the hand wringing over Yamaha? We are truly in a golden age of dual sports. There is something for everybody right now. Just shove the blue gear to the back of the closet.
The market still has a gap, I think. There is nothing long-distance tourable, bigger than a 250cc, that's not either ancient technology or a fire breathing exotic.
I'd rather have low maintenance, comfort, range and luggage capacity than super-low weight, big horsepower, or top of the range suspension.
Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #103
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias
The market still has a gap, I think. There is nothing long-distance tourable, bigger than a 250cc, that's not either ancient technology or a fire breathing exotic.
I'd rather have low maintenance, comfort, range and luggage capacity than super-low weight, big horsepower, or top of the range suspension.
Yes.
The little WR250R is so well accepted because it doesn't vibrate, will handle most dirt well enough, including narrow single track, is evidently bullet-proof, has a reasonably capable off-road suspension that can be made good with minor investment, has good power, low CG, etc., etc. sooo why not assume the same in a proportionately larger and capable WR450R? Nearly everyone who owns the dual sport 250cc Yamaha, thinks highly of it, including former owners of Euro bikes.... I feel I can ride mine anywhere without worrying about mechanical failures or getting a hernia picking it up.
I have never been all that impressed with Euro stuff, as my "throw-away" jap bikes have more often propelled me, in a very competent fashion, ahead of the stuffy euro bike riders in plenty of off-road competitions. I'll never forget some KTM guy calling my KX 250 a "throw-away bike" - ah, such unwarranted prejudice....LOL....
Old 03-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #104
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466

No sure if this is enough of a response, but added my voice. Thx, J
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:50 AM   #105
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,632
Even the WR250R couldn't survive in the UK, it appears. I know some Yamaha reps in Oz are worried the same may happen here with it.

Dear Mr [edteamslr]

This model is no longer being imported into the UK market. It was imported in small numbers throughout 2010 to gauge customer reaction and unfortunately there was not enough demand to warrant continuing the import of this model.

Regards,

Marketing & Communications Division
__________________________________________________ ______

Y A M A H A M O T O R ( U K ) L T D
Sopwith Drive
Brooklands
Weybridge
Surrey KT13 0UZ Telephone:
Fax:
E-mail:
+44 (0) 1932 358000
+44 (0) 1932 358030
marketing@yamaha-motor.co.uk
www.yamaha-motor.co.uk
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote