ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2004, 12:05 AM   #1
Katoum OP
Adventurer
 
Katoum's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Oddometer: 711
Chirping sound from motor!

My bike has developed a chirping sound from the motor. It sounds like its coming from the right side. This was noticable when first started but has become worse lately and is apparent all the time. It happens when mild throttle is applied at low speed with the clutch engaged. You can make it chirp everytime you let the clutch out but it happens after the clutch is fully engaged. A mechanic told me he thought it might be the water pump, as he has heard this noise in other bikes. If there is excessive play in the impeller shaft it makes sense that this could be causing the noise. My riding partner has has the exact same noise on his 950 which is a 03, mine is a 04. Are we the only ones who have a canary under the hood?
Katoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:45 AM   #2
barbasma
100% CAROTONE
 
barbasma's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Sondrio (In the middle of the Alps) Italy
Oddometer: 1,821
uhmmm... whit hot engine... if you start the bike... the oil pressure light turn on....

this is because the oil is too hot and liquid and the oil pump cannot pump it!!!

but just few second and throttle and the noise is off...
__________________
"Dakar must be a race for few people, Dakar is a dream, the dream of the Rose Lake, if everybody finish it, the dream is over" Fabrizio Meoni
ciao Matteo
www.barbasma.smugmug.com
www.lc8.org
www.adventureschool.it
KTM 950 ADV S 2003 80.000 KM..... and gooooo...
barbasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 04:53 AM   #3
SMAC
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland.
Oddometer: 90
Chirping motor

Mine does it too. Mentioned it to the dealer at the 4,500 mile service but they couldn't identify it. I don't notice when i'm riding but every time I pull away from junctions/ roundabouts, the chirp is quite audible. I thought it was clutch or transmission but still haven't sourced it yet.

Oh yes it's a silver 03.

smac
SMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:04 AM   #4
Katoum OP
Adventurer
 
Katoum's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Oddometer: 711
Its totally different from the usual clatter of hot engine start. It actually sounds exactly like a canary chirping, short little chirps, high pitched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbasma
uhmmm... whit hot engine... if you start the bike... the oil pressure light turn on....

this is because the oil is too hot and liquid and the oil pump cannot pump it!!!

but just few second and throttle and the noise is off...
Katoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:14 AM   #5
Katoum OP
Adventurer
 
Katoum's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Oddometer: 711
I was thinking clutch also but it happens even when the clutch is fully engaged, like idling in 1st gear traffic, and giving small amount of throttle. I beginning to think its impeller related. If there is excessive axial or end-play on water pump shaft do you think the impeller could be contacting housing. I mentioned to my dealer also, his 950 seems okay. I've had people comment they can hear it while standing near by.I think I will bring this up with dealer again, now that noise is easy to duplicate. Instead of a "Tiger in the tank, I apparantly have a Canary under the hood" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMAC
Mine does it too. Mentioned it to the dealer at the 4,500 mile service but they couldn't identify it. I don't notice when i'm riding but every time I pull away from junctions/ roundabouts, the chirp is quite audible. I thought it was clutch or transmission but still haven't sourced it yet.

Oh yes it's a silver 03.

smac
Katoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:06 PM   #6
Desmofan
Studly Adventurer
 
Desmofan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 539
My silver 950 has made exactly the same noise since new (now 1200 miles)! I'm glad I wasn't hallucinating ....

Maybe it's just carb squeek/intake honk ( ever hear flatslides chirp?)
__________________
KTM990 SMT
BMW R1200 GSW
DRZ400S
Desmofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:11 PM   #7
motozilla
Beastly Adventurer
 
motozilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: PHX, AZ
Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmofan
My silver 950 has made exactly the same noise since new (now 1200 miles)! I'm glad I wasn't hallucinating ....

Maybe it's just carb squeek/intake honk ( ever hear flatslides chirp?)

That's my guess. I've got it too. It seems to happen most when the bike is cold.
__________________
Hey hold my beer and watch this!
motozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:26 PM   #8
Foad99
Adventurer
 
Foad99's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Northern California
Oddometer: 86
Name that Chirp!

Mine makes the same noise as I take off from a standing start. If I am moving and hit the gas I can't get it to make the "Chirp".

It sounds like the noise the WRC Rallye cars make as they decellerate(sp) into hard corners.

SJ
Foad99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 02:41 PM   #9
Katoum OP
Adventurer
 
Katoum's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Oddometer: 711
First noticed mine when it was cold, thought it was clutch. It now does it all the time and anyone around can hear it. I also thought of carbs, as they do make quite a racket when air filter is off, but it seems the carb slide noise is more of a rattle, clicking sound, as opposed to a Canary chirp. While I guess we will eventually get to the bottom of it. Has anyone heard from KTM on this.

QUOTE=motozilla]That's my guess. I've got it too. It seems to happen most when the bike is cold.[/QUOTE]
Katoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:04 PM   #10
Greg Minor
The Trespasser
 
Greg Minor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Escondido Ca
Oddometer: 2,322
My bike is in the shop waiting on parts to rebuild the waterpump (warranty) I did not notice the chirp but my radiator fluid was very dark. KTM has seen several waterpump failures. I also had oil leaks around the cam tensioners but KTM had not seen that problem yet so they don't seem to want to warranty that one Does anyone know if the tensioner has to be removed during a normal valve adjustment and if so could the mecahnic of caused the leak (sorry I don't mean to hijack your thread)
__________________
THE ORANGE ONES ARE FASTER!
Have maximum fun while preserving bike and body
2004 KTM 950
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
1970 Honda SL 100 (green)
Greg Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:53 PM   #11
arroyoshark
Needing some space
 
arroyoshark's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Fin del Sendero, NM
Oddometer: 2,130
I get kind of a low chirp when engaging clutch when engine is not yet warmed up, and then just a low rpms. Figured it had something to do with clutch engagement or transmission.

Greg...When the valves are checked or adjusted, the cam chain is not affected. The cam chain spins a spur gear, located below the cams, which drives the camshafts. This way the cams can be just lifted out, after removing cam bearing bridge bolt and bracket, to get to the buckets and shims.
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:31 PM   #12
Greg Minor
The Trespasser
 
Greg Minor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Escondido Ca
Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by arroyoshark
I get kind of a low chirp when engaging clutch when engine is not yet warmed up, and then just a low rpms. Figured it had something to do with clutch engagement or transmission.

Greg...When the valves are checked or adjusted, the cam chain is not affected. The cam chain spins a spur gear, located below the cams, which drives the camshafts. This way the cams can be just lifted out, after removing cam bearing bridge bolt and bracket, to get to the buckets and shims.
Thats what I though so KTM should warranty the replacement o-rings that where leaking
__________________
THE ORANGE ONES ARE FASTER!
Have maximum fun while preserving bike and body
2004 KTM 950
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
1970 Honda SL 100 (green)
Greg Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:42 PM   #13
arroyoshark
Needing some space
 
arroyoshark's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Fin del Sendero, NM
Oddometer: 2,130
cam tensioner oil seap

Greg, have you checked all those small bolts on the engine for tightness. I found that few of these get a bit loose between oil and service intervals. I can usually find some of these 8mm socket bolts to re-tighten. I dunno, just taking a stab at it, here.
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:47 PM   #14
Greg Minor
The Trespasser
 
Greg Minor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Escondido Ca
Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by arroyoshark
Greg, have you checked all those small bolts on the engine for tightness. I found that few of these get a bit loose between oil and service intervals. I can usually find some of these 8mm socket bolts to re-tighten. I dunno, just taking a stab at it, here.
This is what I found the engine was really dirty on both sides I found this when I removed the tanks to change the oil. Both sides where leaking
Attached Images
 
__________________
THE ORANGE ONES ARE FASTER!
Have maximum fun while preserving bike and body
2004 KTM 950
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
1970 Honda SL 100 (green)
Greg Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 07:37 AM   #15
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars
 
O.C.F.RIDER's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Hewitt,New Jerseystan, OBAMANATION
Oddometer: 4,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoum
My bike has developed a chirping sound from the motor. It sounds like its coming from the right side. This was noticable when first started but has become worse lately and is apparent all the time. It happens when mild throttle is applied at low speed with the clutch engaged. You can make it chirp everytime you let the clutch out but it happens after the clutch is fully engaged. A mechanic told me he thought it might be the water pump, as he has heard this noise in other bikes. If there is excessive play in the impeller shaft it makes sense that this could be causing the noise. My riding partner has has the exact same noise on his 950 which is a 03, mine is a 04. Are we the only ones who have a canary under the hood?
My bike makes the same noise,it has'nt done it since new,but it's been doing it for most of the time that I've had it.I have 5400mi. on it so I guess if it was anything major it would have blown itself up by now.It sounds like such a tiny little noise that it does'nt seem like it could be anything to major. I guess I'll just keep my finger's crossed.
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014