ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2006, 05:06 AM   #61
gefr
Life is a trip
 
gefr's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: East Med, Greece
Oddometer: 3,552
I can hear a chirping from Kawasakis!!!

I had a chirping coming from my KLE400 Kawa and turned out to be the advance was too much!!! It sounded as described here, when accelarating... from a stop and when idling!! What do you guys think??
__________________
There is always a reason!!
Fuel filters Fuel pump
Aluminum base plate for ITG foam air filter
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office April 18 to 27
gefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:03 AM   #62
BDV300
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, AZ
Oddometer: 11
Did this ever get resolved?

Our 2006 950 was chirp free until the first service was performed, now the bird is there. Same chirp description as everyone else. The bike runs awesome though and that's why I don't want to spend the time/effort/money to 'fix' it. Maybe, it's not really broken.

Did anyone ever figure out what the chirp really was?
BDV300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:27 AM   #63
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer
 
charlie264's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Blighty
Oddometer: 6,779
Chirp

On my XLV750R, one of the pulse coils for the ignition broke and needed rewinding. After that I noticed a chirpy whistle from one of the exhausts. Block one, no chirp! Block the other, canary! Did a compression test and one of the cylinders was down about 10% to the other. So I put it down to a slightly leaky exhaust valve. Never really got to bottom of the chirp, sold the bike with. Fully disclosed of course, which he used to his advantage.
Charlie.
950SE
charlie264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:35 AM   #64
BDV300
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, AZ
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264
So I put it down to a slightly leaky exhaust valve.
Leaky exhaust valve?! They did find that two exhaust valves were out of spec and had to be adjusted. I'm not sure how far out of spec, or what the adjustment involved. The bike now has 750 miles on it, so I HOPE it's not a leaky exhaust valve.
BDV300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:53 AM   #65
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer
 
charlie264's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Blighty
Oddometer: 6,779
Chirp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDV300
Leaky exhaust valve?! They did find that two exhaust valves were out of spec and had to be adjusted. ????.
They are either the right or wrong valves. Out of spec, not sure what you mean? Diameter of the valve shaft and collars can vary. If a valve is not correctly ground in using valve grinding paste, it will either wear in and seat itself correctly or wear unevenly allowing gas to pass. As for KTMís I donít know, some engines the valves and seats are replaced at the same time so valves donít need to be ground in.
charlie264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #66
BDV300
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, AZ
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264
They are either the right or wrong valves. Out of spec, not sure what you mean? Diameter of the valve shaft and collars can vary. If a valve is not correctly ground in using valve grinding paste, it will either wear in and seat itself correctly or wear unevenly allowing gas to pass. As for KTMís I donít know, some engines the valves and seats are replaced at the same time so valves donít need to be ground in.
Out of spec as in the clearances were too tight on 2 of the exhaust valves. The only other task performed (other than the routine 600 mile service stuff) was to set the needles to the richest setting. My bike was VERY lean from the factory.
BDV300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:06 PM   #67
Pantah
Red Sox Nation
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 9,705
I think the chirping is common among carburetted twins in cold temps. It's the carbs. My Ducati does it too.

Ohh...and my KTM's clutch chirps when first engaging in cold temps too. Actually, my KTM makes all kinds of wierd racket. I've been thinking earplugs might be the right solution.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:14 PM   #68
BDV300
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, AZ
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
I think the chirping is common among carburetted twins in cold temps. It's the carbs. My Ducati does it too.

Ohh...and my KTM's clutch chirps when first engaging in cold temps too. Actually, my KTM makes all kinds of wierd racket. I've been thinking earplugs might be the right solution.
I'll go the ear plugs route as soon as I know the thing's not going to chuck a rod through the top of the engine ;-)

I agree that it's carb related, but don't think it's temp related. I picked up the bike this past Saturday and it was one of the warmest days since we've owned the 950. What a great day for chirping!

I'm going to pull the top off the air box this weekend and see if I find anything obvious. Still open to other ideas though.
BDV300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #69
PowerCell
SE990R
 
PowerCell's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Kalifornia
Oddometer: 2,094
My SE was chirping for the final 20 miles of my last ride. Turned out to be a broken tab on my skidplate. Wish it where something more interesting, as I would have immediately been able to eleminate the clutch and carb theories...
PowerCell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #70
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer
 
spafxer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 2,489
Vacuum Leakage!

Chirping can come from the rubber caps used to cover the vacuum ports on the intake manifolds. If the caps deteriorated, they act like a reed on a wind instrument. If the chirp goes away on application of full throttle (less vacuum) that's a sure sign of intake track leakage.

Good Luck.

jim
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:38 AM   #71
EnduroJoe
Adventurer
 
EnduroJoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Illinois
Oddometer: 85
The best I can figure is that it is the front exhaust flange or front mounting bolt. I had the air filter off watching the carb slides flutter and it still sounds like it's coming from down around the front cylinder. The chirp did stop for a littel bit after a crash, I replaced the front exhaust gasket every time I would retighten the gasket the chirp would stop for a littel bit. I tightened the front mounting bolt and the chirp got a higher pitch, so I set it back to its original position.
It still chirps, and still don't know what it is for shure. It's not the sas reeds, took them off. did valve adj everything looked ok. Water pump seal & impeller look ok. I have heard a few KLRs with a similar chirp. Anyone with FI bikes have it?
This is what mine sounds like.
I'll just have to get earplugs.
EnduroJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #72
cpmodem
Orange Caveman
 
cpmodem's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: masa yee yah tee 59į 14' 9" N / 135į 26' 42" W
Oddometer: 7,103
That doesn't sound like the chirp I've heard from the 950's. Your's sounds more like a "squeek" from something loose. Maybe part of the fairing or the exhaust heat shield.
__________________

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:07 AM   #73
BDV300
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, AZ
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RailRider
The best I can figure is that it is the front exhaust flange or front mounting bolt. I had the air filter off watching the carb slides flutter and it still sounds like it's coming from down around the front cylinder. The chirp did stop for a littel bit after a crash, I replaced the front exhaust gasket every time I would retighten the gasket the chirp would stop for a littel bit. I tightened the front mounting bolt and the chirp got a higher pitch, so I set it back to its original position.
It still chirps, and still don't know what it is for shure. It's not the sas reeds, took them off. did valve adj everything looked ok. Water pump seal & impeller look ok. I have heard a few KLRs with a similar chirp. Anyone with FI bikes have it?
This is what mine sounds like.
I'll just have to get earplugs.
That's the same noise mine makes. You were loading the engine to get it to do that, right? I've yet to figure mine out but it's time to start taking things apart. Mine has developed a bad habit of stalling right after a hot start (great when you pull out into trafffic and it stalls). The idle hangs a bit as well so it definately needs some attention. Maybe I'll get lucky and find the squeek while I'm looking for the other issues.
BDV300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #74
bykpimp
Live and let ride
 
bykpimp's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Cruz Ca
Oddometer: 1,408
My bike chirps when cold and just fired up. If I cover the screw holes where the db killers go in the Akras with my fingers, the chirp goes away.
__________________
" I can't fix your motorcycle over the phone or internet" Spanky
bykpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #75
SimplyExploring
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 5
My 2008 has just developed a chirp. Has anyone ever got to the bottom of this?

Its never done it before. Its not a whine its not a whistle its a chirp! Its been laid up over winter and first ride out this year it starts chirping!
SimplyExploring is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014