Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #55996
stuckin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Got a ? for you guys. i have a xr400 right now. Going to start working on getting the title and street legal soon. I want to go on longer rides and still be able to go in the dirt. Then looking around on here to much i have started to like the looks of the Kawasaki KLR 650's. Am i better off saving the money to make the Xr street legal and putting it towards a klr? I would love to be able to take my wife sometimes. if she will get on the back of it. But longer camping trips would be a blast. the KLR seams set up better for that kind of riding.

Sorry for such a long post. Just new to all this stuff. This web site is going to cost me a lot of money i think.

stuck
stuckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #55997
Spanky15
Dirt Slider

Oddometer: 522
KLR fan

I like the XR's.... however, I like the KLR better for what you intend on doing. So will your wife!!
'82 XR-500R
'74 Ossa
...all Flattrackers
Spanky15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #55998
stuckin
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky15 View Post
I like the XR's.... however, I like the KLR better for what you intend on doing. So will your wife!!
just showed the wife a picture of the xlr she said there is no way she will get on the back of one of those with me driving.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #55999
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,515
I like the XR cause aint no way it will haul my fat ass and my wifes together!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #56000
stuckin
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
I like the XR cause aint no way it will haul my fat ass and my wifes together!

Yea if i could talk my wife into riding with me i dont think the xr could handle the weight. i am 260 pounds. and i already need to get the susp on the xr changed, i have a taller seat on the way now i need taller bars. i am 6'5 and would like to make the bike taller. when i stand up riding i feel really funny.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #56001
GMJinARK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkmozark View Post
Welcome!
I dont post much but lurk daily.

I have an 09 KLR bought it new in 10 and have about 13k on it. I ride about 70-80% dirt roads. My .02 on tires: Ran stock tires 2 rear to 1 front. Tried Shinko E700s.Good traction (way better than stock) but the rear wore out at 1800 miles. Put a Shinko 244 on the rear and still have the 700 on the front and wearing well. Have about 3800 on the 244. Good traction in dirt, again way better than stock and some better on dry pavement but it is loud.

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like most of the guys agree that the 244's are the way to go. I think I'll give them a try.
GMJinARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #56002
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin View Post
Yea if i could talk my wife into riding with me i dont think the xr could handle the weight. i am 260 pounds. and i already need to get the susp on the xr changed, i have a taller seat on the way now i need taller bars. i am 6'5 and would like to make the bike taller. when i stand up riding i feel really funny.
I have the exact rear spring you need for your 260 lbs. Cheap. PM me if you are interested.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #56003
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Another sleepless night. Hydrocodone isn't enough for this crap.
I take Hydrococone or Percocet after 6pm and for get sleep till about 5 the next morning....
Old 12-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #56004
stuckin
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
I take Hydrococone or Percocet after 6pm and for get sleep till about 5 the next morning....
I have found with percocet i cant sleep. they keep me up. I was on them for a while from some surgerys. Had to get sleeping pills to help sleep while on them. Never had slept so good. I can see how people get hooked on them. Found i was taking them even when not in pain. Then i figured i better stop.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #56005
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,331
Quote:
I have found with percocet i cant sleep. they keep me up. I was on them for a while from some surgerys. Had to get sleeping pills to help sleep while on them. Never had slept so good. I can see how people get hooked on them. Found i was taking them even when not in pain. Then i figured i better stop.
Yes a little vacation every now and then really helps. They sneak up on you
Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #56006
stuckin
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
Yes a little vacation every now and then really helps. They sneak up on you

I would wake up the next morning and not remeber a thing from the night before. One morning my wife is looking at me and saying what did you post on craigslist. she had to go back on there and fix some things for me. I did not even remember posting anything. Then the story of being in my underwear with the mother in law in town. But i still call BS on that one
Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #56007
Bell47Pilot
MonkeyButt

Oddometer: 1,759
Quote:
Am i better off saving the money to make the Xr street legal and putting it towards a klr? I would love to be able to take my wife sometimes. if she will get on the back of it. But longer camping trips would be a blast. the KLR seams set up better for that kind of riding.

stuck
Thing I like about my KLR is I can easily ride it to NWA from Dallas with a load of crap on it. Couple of things I have to keep in mind is to always have friends around to help me hoist that pigboat back in the air when it decides to waller......and to be kind enough to it to get me back down to Dallas. If I trailer it up then I don't have to worry so much about bending it.....

Got a few melmite cans to convert into a couple hard cases for it. Still want to run the AR and OK TAT and camp. Good luck on your choice.
Ride On
Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010 #1
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the
boundary of disaster. (Sterling Moss)
Bell47Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #56008
Elvis70 OP
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
Decided to tour the country on the KTM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperjohn1962 View Post
Hey guys I posted this in the bikes for sale thread. Since I know a lot of you on here I figured I had better post it here too so you could have first chance at it.

2001 Honda Goldwing GL 1800

Asking Amount: $10,500

52,000K Miles

Color: Illusion Red
Condition: Excellent Dealer serviced and garage kept

Accessories: CB Radio, Front foot boards, drink holder

This bike has been very well kept!

PM me if you are interested
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #56009
Elvis70 OP
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
Well most of you will feel better about your day after you hear of mine. Drove 3 hours to Little Rock through the pouring rain. Spent 2.5 hours in the Mexican Consulate to get my kids Mexican birth certificates and the citizenship that comes with it. Only got Sophia done as Marina's birthday was listed incorrectly on Vincent's birth certificate. Crapolla. Got a new, corrected one coming, then have to send it back to another state office for a certification, then we do it again. May just wait and do it in Mexico, probably go next winter.

Lunch at Flying Fish down by the river in Little Rock was cool though. Rainbow trout and hush puppies.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #56010
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47Pilot View Post
Thing I like about my KLR is I can easily ride it to NWA from Dallas with a load of crap on it. Couple of things I have to keep in mind is to always have friends around to help me hoist that pigboat back in the air when it decides to waller......and to be kind enough to it to get me back down to Dallas. If I trailer it up then I don't have to worry so much about bending it.....

Got a few melmite cans to convert into a couple hard cases for it. Still want to run the AR and OK TAT and camp. Good luck on your choice.
can you believe that it was over a year and a half ago since you were here last? you need to park them planes and take a week off, UP HERE!

DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote