Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #59626
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,713
Here at work, we have several Toolroom lathes, mills, cnc mills & a single spindle cnc lathe. I've wanted to a multi-spindle lathe for several years now and got my wish, last Nov. I don't know how to use any of it machinery but I've negotiating the purchase of most of it. Interesting stuff for sure and certainly a good trade to pick up, for a guy not headed to college. Skilled CNC work pays good and is in high demand.

BTW, thanks O'leary for posting the ADV Camping schedule, I hope to make a few this year. I'm happy to pre-ride the Lake Sylvia route, if need be and will for sure bring some homemade snacks.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #59627
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,486
Cool2 Cnc

I remember programing machines back when you had to remember all the M-codes, and write do-loops.
I would love to play with the CAD CAM stuff they have runnin' now.

edited to add, I do know Mr. Brown. We used to do work that he didn't want to do, and vice-verse.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #59628
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,121
I always wanted to be a machinists...I briefly worked in a machine shop once a long time ago..it was fun..and I did screw up several jobs I admit..wish I could have stuck with it.
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #59629
DrLewall
The Human GPS

I am so ready for a ride somewhere..really READY! cabin fever big time..my time is coming
Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #59630
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
I always wanted to be a machinists

So instead you became a misogynist? Martha put me up to that I swear....
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #59631
Arkwhizzy
Arky by choice

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
I have a schedule of camping events for the coming riding season. I put a few new sites in this year and kept a few of our old favorites. I hope you all will take advantage of the chance to meet some new faces and ride. As in the past, I will be posting routes a week to 10 days prior to each event. You can find them here on this thread and I will also post in the schedule. Here is a link to the 2013 Schedule.
Take care and enjoy the ride.
Thanks for your work on putting the schedule together,
Old 02-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #59632
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
So instead you became a misOB-GYNist? Martha put me up to that I swear....
fixt
Old 02-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #59633
stuckin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Any of u guys have any good ideas for a route from wesly to bella vista? When my bike is ready i am going to get the wife to drop me off and ride it home. I really dont feel like riding 540 on a XR yet.

stuck
stuckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #59634
DrLewall
The Human GPS

can you transfer GPX files to your GPS yet? if so, we can make up a route for ua if'n you want..maybe by then, I can ride with ya..
Old 02-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #59635
stuckin
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
can you transfer GPX files to your GPS yet? if so, we can make up a route for ua if'n you want..maybe by then, I can ride with ya..
Not sure how to do that yet Doc. Only thing i can think of is going up 59. but was hoping for more dirt then street. 71 up would really be busy.

Doc it would be fun if you can get away. Dam i cant wait to get this bike on the road
Old 02-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #59636
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
CNC Lathe Ay! Sweet! I never did operate anything quite that up-to-date (the Haas unit in your link). When I first moved to Arkansas back in 1974 I got a job at the Crane Company on 8th St. North there in Rogers (Technical Machining now), do you know Bob Brown by any chance. Anyway, I ran automatic bar and screw machines machining valve stems, seats, and other parts for Crane Valves out of bar stock (sstl, brass, etc.). Loved that work.

Worked for Kearney Electric and Moore Drop Forge doing the same kind of work. The personnel manager at Moore convinced me to go to college and get a degree and I had met a couple of young guys at Kearney previously that were doing just that and working. Worked part time for a couple of years after going to the UofA for a small shop Custom Machining running a Hardinge single spindle machine. All of the other machines I operated were multi-spindle. Next time I see you I would like to hear about what it is that you'all manufacture. That would be quite interesting I think.
My dad worked for RTW in both the Bentonville and Rogers plants, as a maintenance man for 20+ years.

I didn't know much about this type of equipment, until I started working at Lafferty Equipment. I'm the buyer, database admin, equipment designer and whatever else the owner needs me to do. I've got a similar plan, of attending college, once the kids are grown. I started working for Wal Mart HQ, while in high school, cleaning up after the buyers and gathering the vendor samples. From there I transitioned into a number of fulltime jobs. Left WM after 9+ years, went to JB Hunt(2 years) and then to Lafferty in 2002.

Currently at Lafferty, there are 4 Hardinge toolroom lathes, 2 Bridgeport mills, 1 Lagoon lathe, 3 Haas Mills and come Monday there will be 2 Haas lathes. Maybe I'll bring a couple pieces of cleaning equipment to the next campout I attend. Lafferty has chemical application equipment in many food, meat and dairy plants; concrete yards, military bases, car dealerships, coal mines, etc... Marketing/Manufacturing/Selling/Shipping around the world, all from NLR,

Succeeding in spite of the fools in DC.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #59637
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin View Post
Not sure how to do that yet Doc. Only thing i can think of is going up 59. but was hoping for more dirt then street. 71 up would really be busy.

Doc it would be fun if you can get away. Dam i cant wait to get this bike on the road
do you have a lap top with your gps maps on it? my thinking is maybe one day lets meet at the shop and do a little gps class by making a trak from there back to BV..you interested??
Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #59638
stuckin
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
do you have a lap top with your gps maps on it? my thinking is maybe one day lets meet at the shop and do a little gps class by making a trak from there back to BV..you interested??

I down loaded the maps from Garmin but they went rite to the GPS. Not on the computer. I will go to Garmin and see if i can get them on the computer.

A class would be great.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #59639
TMix
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Cabin Rental Recommendation - Mena or Mill Creek

We are looking for a cabin rental for this spring break. Yep, we're late. Any good recommendations around Mena or Mill Creek area? There will be seven of us with a couple of dogs along for the ride. Dual sport bikes and ATVs.

Thanks,

TMix
TMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #59640
stuckin
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMix View Post
We are looking for a cabin rental for this spring break. Yep, we're late. Any good recommendations around Mena or Mill Creek area? There will be seven of us with a couple of dogs along for the ride. Dual sport bikes and ATVs.

Thanks,

TMix

I remember seeing a big camp grounds with cabin rental around Mena. There close enough to trails that you can ride from the camp ground to the trails. Hopefully someone else will know the name of it. I will see if i can find it.

stuck