Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #60316
ozarkrider
Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer: 5,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin View Post
So a very long day of riding huh?
Yep. Best done in the spring or fall when temps are better.

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #60317
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,700
Quote:
yesterday when riding on the cuvers i do what the sign says. I know bikes, tires, set up, and how the person rides would make a difference. But with dirt tires how far can i lean the bike over with out the tires letting going? Just starting with the road riding. trying not to eat it to soon. Not looking to fly around just trying to get any idea of how the dirt tires do on the street
Most folks don't lean the bike over nearly as much as they could on street bikes, much less knobbie shod dual sports. I run a lot of non-DOT knobbies and you can get some really serious lean angle on em if you are willing to. The biggest issue with knobbies compared to street tires is the feel, you just don't get a lot of feedback from a knobbie until things get real loose

Of course there is a lot more to turning a bike then just leaning it. Counter steering, weighting the pegs and the fact that the way you do things on a dirt bike is just the opposite of the way you do it on the street.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #60318
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
You talking about Peel Ferry at Bull Shoals Lake? It's a pretty good haul.
Quote:
yesterday when riding on the cuvers i do what the sign says. I know bikes, tires, set up, and how the person rides would make a difference. But with dirt tires how far can i lean the bike over with out the tires letting going? Just starting with the road riding. trying not to eat it to soon. Not looking to fly around just trying to get any idea of how the dirt tires do on the street
remember yesterday when I told you that the XR400 is a DIRT BIKE!...keep that in mind when looking at the bigger picture (Big ass map)...300 mile day on that dirt bike will be MISERABLE after mile 140 and you are only half way there at that point...maybe think abt ALSO getting a more street worthy machine to add to your stable?

as for tires on your DIRT BIKE..remember, they are NOT street tires and they have limits when applied to pavement, and if you dare to push those limits, think abt how much fun it is to ride because when you exceed those limits, you will not be riding anytime soon as you heal up from injuries substained from seeing how fast you can take a curve with knobby tires..you have been warned.
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #60319
stuckin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
remember yesterday when I told you that the XR400 is a DIRT BIKE!...keep that in mind when looking at the bigger picture (Big ass map)...300 mile day on that dirt bike will be MISERABLE after mile 140 and you are only half way there at that point...maybe think abt ALSO getting a more street worthy machine to add to your stable?

as for tires on your DIRT BIKE..remember, they are NOT street tires and they have limits when applied to pavement, and if you dare to push those limits, think abt how much fun it is to ride because when you exceed those limits, you will not be riding anytime soon as you heal up from injuries substained from seeing how fast you can take a curve with knobby tires..you have been warned.
What do u think is a good bike for more street riding but still able to play in the dirt a little?
stuckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #60320
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
What do u think is a good bike for more street riding but still able to play in the dirt a little?
Suzuki DR 650, Kawasaki KLR 650, BMW GS 650, KTM 690

Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #60321
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,985
Quote:
V strom 650

or

suzuki DR650
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #60322
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,407
Quote:
Actually I was a little impressed by wikipedia..if you search for "Dual sport" it has a break down of weight class and capabilities...not real specific..example I think it places DR650 and KLR 650 as the same..but I think most would agree DRs are a little more dirt
jtwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #60323
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
Actually I was a little impressed by wikipedia..if you search for "Dual sport" it has a break down of weight class and capabilities...not real specific..example I think it places DR650 and KLR 650 as the same..but I think most would agree DRs are a little more dirt
Well, the KLR is significantly heavier, and not as well suspended as the DR.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #60324
stuckin
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, the KLR is significantly heavier, and not as well suspended as the DR.

out of those two what one is better on longer road rides? i always see a lot of them in craigslist.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #60325
mattmus4357
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
TW200....

mattmus4357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #60326
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
out of those two what one is better on longer road rides? i always see a lot of them in craigslist.
Many would say the KLR, it's got more wind protection and being heavier makes it more stable when it gets windy. But honestly, the wind protection and stability doesn't matter that much to me, I always prefer a lighter, better suspension bike because handling means the most to me. So that's why i have a DR. Now if price doesn't matter then it's the 690 all the way.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #60327
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Quote:
out of those two what one is better on longer road rides? I always see a lot of them in craigslist.

klr imo
Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #60328
stuckin
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Many would say the KLR, it's got more wind protection and being heavier makes it more stable when it gets windy. But honestly, the wind protection and stability doesn't matter that much to me, I always prefer a lighter, better suspension bike because handling means the most to me. So that's why i have a DR. Now if price doesn't matter then it's the 690 all the way.

You going to give me a rocking deal on ur 690 Albie? http://fayar.craigslist.org/mcy/3601967301.html Found this one. its been lowerd. is that easy to un lower a bike?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #60329
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Quote:
You going to give me a rocking deal on ur 690 Albie? http://fayar.craigslist.org/mcy/3601967301.html Found this one. its been lowerd. is that easy to un lower a bike?

mine was...depends on how it was lowered
Old 02-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #60330
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Hell no! I'm keeping the 690 for a while.

Yup, the DR's have a 2 position linkage so you can lower it and lift it back up easily. The price is way too high for that one though.