ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 05:14 AM   #60886
Scribe
£Bob£
 
Scribe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: In my natural state
Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinduroman View Post
"Any questions?"

Yeah... what's the difference between a "Supermoto" and a "Motard"? They seem to be called either and look the same to me. Like I said... never understood (know much about it) the concept... I just see pics of dual sport/dirt bikes with small wheels n' street tires.

V-man
A motard is a kid who rides on the short bike, right?
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no 'try.'"
— Yoda
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #60887
terrascout
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: NW Arkansas, Hills and Curves close at hand
Oddometer: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
You use green chili's instead of red chili powder and most folks use pork instead of beef. The best way is to use Hatch chili's but other peppers like Anaheims will do.
And tomatillos instead of tomato to keep it all green. I highly recommend using a couple serrano peppers in the mix also.

It is a time consuming endeavor unless you have a location were you can get pre fire roasted hatch peppers. In Colorado Springs they would have a big fire roaster sitting out in the grocery store parking lot going when the hatch peppers caming in. It was great to just buy bags of those and throw in the freezer for use later.
terrascout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #60888
stuckin
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Bella Vista, AR
Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
diff between Motard (same diameter whls and dual sport larger diam frnt whl or may I gots it backwards.......just what wiki kind of said.
There anything on the bike set up different then the tires? could you just switch out tires and wheels for the dirt?
stuckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 AM   #60889
tcourdin
Resident Spooner
 
tcourdin's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 10,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrascout View Post
In Colorado Springs they would have a big fire roaster sitting out in the grocery store parking lot going when the hatch peppers caming in. It was great to just buy bags of those and throw in the freezer for use later.
Harps at Crossover was doing that this year! Damn if I didnt miss it though, lurve me some Hatch Chilies.
__________________
My SPOT
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #60890
Scribe
£Bob£
 
Scribe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: In my natural state
Oddometer: 6,430
Weather looks decent for Sunday. Anyone going for ride?
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no 'try.'"
— Yoda
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #60891
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinduroman View Post
"Any questions?"

Yeah... what's the difference between a "Supermoto" and a "Motard"? They seem to be called either and look the same to me. Like I said... never understood (know much about it) the concept... I just see pics of dual sport/dirt bikes with small wheels n' street tires.

V-man
Supermoto is just a shortened term for Super Motard. So motard, tard, SM, all the same thing. The main thing is they are light weight bikes with tall suspensions and 17 or 16.5" wheels and street/race rubber. There are some companies that make purpose built SM's.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #60892
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrascout View Post
And tomatillos instead of tomato to keep it all green. I highly recommend using a couple serrano peppers in the mix also.

It is a time consuming endeavor unless you have a location were you can get pre fire roasted hatch peppers. In Colorado Springs they would have a big fire roaster sitting out in the grocery store parking lot going when the hatch peppers caming in. It was great to just buy bags of those and throw in the freezer for use later.
Roasting the peppers does add some time to it, but so worth it! I usually roast mine on my gas grill.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #60893
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin View Post
There anything on the bike set up different then the tires? could you just switch out tires and wheels for the dirt?
On my 690 I just switch out the wheels.

Here it is with the 17" wheels





And with the 18"/21" wheels

__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #60894
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
Harps at Crossover was doing that this year! Damn if I didnt miss it though, lurve me some Hatch Chilies.
Sweet, was wondering if any of the stores around here sold them!
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #60895
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,386
Stuckin, it's really easy to do a SM conversion. Here's a couple of others I had.

Plated DRZ E



Plated XR650R




And they also make purpose built SM's as well. This is what a REAL Italian SM looks like:




It's a fire breathing 70 HP 280 lb bike with a 550 cc V twin motor.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #60896
Dragon43
If you insist.
 
Dragon43's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Central Arkansas
Oddometer: 5,821
Is the tall suspension better, more fun, better handling, advantageous over the crotch rockets?

Just a cheap way to play both games?

Can sit up straighter?

Or just one of those, "If I got to splain, you won't ever get it?"
__________________
Shouda, woulda, coulda but dint.
Dragon43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #60897
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug
 
Valentino Magoo's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Faytown, Arkansas
Oddometer: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon43 View Post
Is the tall suspension better, more fun, better handling, advantageous over the crotch rockets?

Just a cheap way to play both games?

Can sit up straighter?

Or just one of those, "If I got to splain, you won't ever get it?"
I'm betting with that clearance you could probably take one of those suckers outta Frog Bayou in your crocs.
But, you've already done it, so on to new adventures..
__________________
12 WR 250R, 11 Burgman 650, 00 HD softtail
Charter Member: T.O. Club...........You can follow My Spot
Valentino Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #60898
wayno
Beastly Adventurer
 
wayno's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: East of KCMO
Oddometer: 6,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin View Post
There anything on the bike set up different then the tires? could you just switch out tires and wheels for the dirt?
besides that just be something I thought from googling diff between the 2.
Like Suzuki makes the DRZ400 in both forms....just noticed that another answer above.
__________________
DL650
DR650
98 KTM RXCe
RIDE SAFE
May as well Laugh
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #60899
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon43 View Post
Is the tall suspension better, more fun, better handling, advantageous over the crotch rockets?

Just a cheap way to play both games?

Can sit up straighter?

Or just one of those, "If I got to splain, you won't ever get it?"
Leverage and lighter weight over what you have with a crotch rocket, so in tight transitions you can get through much faster. Of course in sweepers obviously the crotch rocket will run off and leave you. The SM suspension is a plus when it comes to rough roads as well.

It's definitely a cheaper alternative as well. Not to mention, you toss an SM down the road it will he a hell of a lot cheaper to fix.

I'm just as comfortable leaned over on my Gixxer as I am sitting up on the 690, but that's more of a personal preference thing for a lot of folks.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #60900
wayno
Beastly Adventurer
 
wayno's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: East of KCMO
Oddometer: 6,119
What they said
__________________
DL650
DR650
98 KTM RXCe
RIDE SAFE
May as well Laugh
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014