ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #61951
JaiDee
Petrolhead
 
JaiDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Fateville, Arkansas
Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Dang, considering the drought and how dusty it's been I clean my air filters about every other time I ride.
Yeah, but I'm lazy and used to "no maintenance" Yamahas.

-JD
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
- Robert Frost
"Charter Member of the T.O. Club" '08 WR250R, '05 F650GS Dakar
JaiDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #61952
wayno
Beastly Adventurer
 
wayno's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: East of KCMO
Oddometer: 6,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
oh its real simple..you are denied your basic rights in IL..leave your guns at home...unless you are a felon then you can take as many as you want
Yep! Our trip to Bristol Speedway last summer included avoiding Illinois by going to I-40......cost 2 hours of time but well worth it.
__________________
DL650
DR650
98 KTM RXCe
RIDE SAFE
May as well Laugh
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #61953
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole
 
TRZ Charlie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 14,226
No maintenance? How does that work exactly? I thought new wiring harnesses were required every 39k?
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #61954
JaiDee
Petrolhead
 
JaiDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Fateville, Arkansas
Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
No maintenance? How does that work exactly? I thought new wiring harnesses were required every 39k?
That many miles? Wow, you're kind of pushing it aren't you Charlie?

-JD
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
- Robert Frost
"Charter Member of the T.O. Club" '08 WR250R, '05 F650GS Dakar
JaiDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #61955
Scribe
£Bob£
 
Scribe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: In my natural state
Oddometer: 6,430
OK, so today I got a letter from Little Rock saying that while they don't title or tag dirt bikes, there are kits you can buy that make the bikes street legal and then they will title and tag them (duh). Which really makes no sense, when you think about it, because the first person I talked to said the don't title and tag dirt bikes AT ALL.

This whole thing is FUBAR and before long they are probably going to figure that out and just make it straight up illegal to get a tag on your dirt bike. Get 'em now before the confusion gets straightened out.

All I have to do now is sign an affidavit saying that yes, my dirt bike has all the equipment, send it back and wait for more paperwork. Then I have to go get my title bond. Jeez.
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no 'try.'"
— Yoda
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #61956
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer
 
Vinduroman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Patooty, Eastern Oklahoma
Oddometer: 571
Ha! The wife and I rode* to Oark and had a great meal... saw some neat sights and all that jazz! Temps never got out of the 40's in the Ozarks! Boy the water was really rolling. Fane Creek was great.

The chicken n' dumplin's at Oark were FANTASTIC... and the SWEET cornbread on the side was SUPERB. Life is great!


V-man

* In our new GMC Terrain.
__________________
1969 - 2012: 43 Years Of Riding And Still Counting!
Vinduroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #61957
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid
 
mouthfulloflake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 15,275
man I was about to say, your wife is quite the trooper!

I rode to work, ( under 3 miles) and froze my tookus off this morning.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinduroman View Post
Ha! The wife and I rode* to Oark and had a great meal... saw some neat sights and all that jazz! Temps never got out of the 40's in the Ozarks! Boy the water was really rolling. Fane Creek was great.

The chicken n' dumplin's at Oark were FANTASTIC... and the SWEET cornbread on the side was SUPERB. Life is great!


V-man

* In our new GMC Terrain.
__________________
In dog beers, I've only had one.
Charter member: T.O. club.
Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #61958
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 30,093
The price we pay for not buying a dual sport in the first place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
OK, so today I got a letter from Little Rock saying that while they don't title or tag dirt bikes, there are kits you can buy that make the bikes street legal and then they will title and tag them (duh). Which really makes no sense, when you think about it, because the first person I talked to said the don't title and tag dirt bikes AT ALL.

This whole thing is FUBAR and before long they are probably going to figure that out and just make it straight up illegal to get a tag on your dirt bike. Get 'em now before the confusion gets straightened out.

All I have to do now is sign an affidavit saying that yes, my dirt bike has all the equipment, send it back and wait for more paperwork. Then I have to go get my title bond. Jeez.
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #61959
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer
 
Vinduroman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Patooty, Eastern Oklahoma
Oddometer: 571
What Scribe is discribing is exactly why this last time around I shied away from going the tagged dirt bike approach as I've done so many times before*. Even though here in OK it CAN be done and done legally, such legality will only last until the Feds strengthen their grip via the EPA. Plus, a tagged dirt bike will not pass in other states... states that we (wife and I) may ride in eventually. (Already we've done Colorado and almost was going to do New England this year.)

I have riding friends in California that tell me of tagged-dirt bike owners getting their tags/registrations pulled by the state of California as their registration system continues to get updated. When the letter arrives, they have "X" days to comply by sending in their tag and registration... and that's that. I suspect this tactic will spread to more states.

Now, riding LEGAL dual sport bikes, it is such a relief to be able to ride our bikes in any state without having to look in our rear view mirror every time law enforcement passes by. Couldn't do that with ANY tagged dirt bike... for even though I got mine tagged/registered, NONE of them fully complied with the laws when you got down to it.

V-man

* FWIW: I've tagged such dirt bikes as Penton, Jawa ISDT, Suzuki PE, and of course, my trusty ol' XR250R. Oh, and also tagged Zundapp's... but they were streetable when produced in the early 70's! (Had to bring their titles up to date/etc.)
__________________
1969 - 2012: 43 Years Of Riding And Still Counting!
Vinduroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #61960
stuckin
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Bella Vista, AR
Oddometer: 775
Hang in there with the title work. Its a pain. I hate how one person told me they dont tag dirt bikes. The next said yes we can just get u a dirt bike tag. Then another said no problem lets see some pics. Just crazy how many different storys u get from the same office. Just so much BS.

But when its done its worth it.

stuck
stuckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #61961
stuckin
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Bella Vista, AR
Oddometer: 775
Took the kids out to the off road park we go to in MO. After watching the racing in the mud yesterday the daughter wanted to go practice in the mudd. She did good. There was some creeks flowing pretty good. She would go through 10 inchs of water. When your on a 70 its pretty deep She got to wet after to much water and mud and wanted to go relax some. My oldest bo was having fun in the water and mud. The youngest was just happy with me on the 4 wheeler going up and down the stream bed. Wife came home muddy and wet from flying throug all the puddles and streams. Its fun watching the wife take to it so well.


stuck
stuckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #61962
mdawg12
Old and Slow
 
mdawg12's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Siloam Springs, Arkansas
Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin View Post
Took the kids out to the off road park we go to in MO. After watching the racing in the mud yesterday the daughter wanted to go practice in the mudd. She did good. There was some creeks flowing pretty good. She would go through 10 inchs of water. When your on a 70 its pretty deep She got to wet after to much water and mud and wanted to go relax some. My oldest bo was having fun in the water and mud. The youngest was just happy with me on the 4 wheeler going up and down the stream bed. Wife came home muddy and wet from flying throug all the puddles and streams. Its fun watching the wife take to it so well.


stuck
__________________
2006 KTM 450 EXC - Tagged
2005 BMW R1200GS
2001 BMW F650GS
mdawg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #61963
stuckin
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Bella Vista, AR
Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg12 View Post
Hey Mike she sure is giving that 225 a work out. Thanks again. She is really enjoying it.

stuck
stuckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #61964
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer
 
Vinduroman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Patooty, Eastern Oklahoma
Oddometer: 571
stuck:

Am I to understand that your wife is now riding some dirt?

If so, that makes three wives that I know of that ride dual sport: Mine (Sharon), TC's (Shelly), and yours.

Us couples gotta' get together "one of these days" and go do some forest roads.
__________________
1969 - 2012: 43 Years Of Riding And Still Counting!
Vinduroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #61965
stuckin
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Bella Vista, AR
Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinduroman View Post
stuck:

Am I to understand that your wife is now riding some dirt?

If so, that makes three wives that I know of that ride dual sport: Mine (Sharon), TC's (Shelly), and yours.

Us couples gotta' get together "one of these days" and go do some forest roads.
Yea today was her 4th time riding for her. I picked up a ttr 225 from mdawg a month or two ago. She really enjoys it a lot. I would love to do the ride i did with Doc with her to Oark and eat. Being still new to riding she is happy with the offroad park and flat tracks. But she will go down across the river beds with lots of rocks and do good. Even with water in the stream she was doing good and having so much fun.

This dirt bike riding has really turned into a family thing. I love being the last in line and seeing 5 dirt bikes or 4 wheelers out in front of me.

stuck
stuckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014