ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #68206
Scribe
£Bob£
 
Scribe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: In my natural state
Oddometer: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Wait, batteries don't last forever???
If KTM made them they would.
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no 'try.'"
— Yoda

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #68207
tcourdin
Resident Spooner
 
tcourdin's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 10,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
If KTM made them they would.
Except they would be backordered..and cost twice as much....



Man im gonna be eating crow if I trade the Beemer for a KTM soon.
__________________
My SPOT
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #68208
advmgm
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Omaha Arkansas - Motorcycling Paradise
Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Back from Hot Springs/Fort Worth/Galveston. Did ya miss me?

Had a great trip, but I have to say I was a little disappointed in Galveston. I lived there 20+- years ago, and it seems to have kind of gone downhill since then. I think that after the big hit from Ike in 2008 a lot of people just kind of gave up on it. All the cool old historic buildings are still there, but it's like the island just isn't right anymore. Hard to put a finger on it.

Anyway, next week is Colorado. I'm a ramblin' man, and that's just the way I like it.
I lived 20 miles north of Galveston since 1986 and just left the area last fall. Tired of humidity, cars, people and hurricanes.

To me, Galveston looks better now than during all the time I lived there, except for the last few years. It's cleaned up, painted up, lots of new buildings. A lot of the old historic homes that were getting pretty run down got our government money to get fixed and painted after Ike.

After Ike, a lot of the riff-raff that gave it "culture" moved out because the low income housing and apartments were torn down and not rebuilt. Its a much better tourist place and so much safer to visit.

Tilman Furtitta brought in his brothers Nevada casino gambling money to buy up and fix up stuff. They are poised so that if casino gambling ever becomes legal in Texas they can have a casino open and bringing in $$$ five minutes after its legal to do so. He has actually been good for the area.

I spent a lot of time on that island while I lived down close to it. Sure miss the good seafood!
__________________
WR250R Adventurer
advmgm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #68209
tcourdin
Resident Spooner
 
tcourdin's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 10,369
Scribe, are you camping at West Fest or getting a hotel? The hotels are all overpriced in that area. Gateway Inn and Suites in Salida was about the cheapest we found. It's nice, clean and there is a good mex restaurant next door. Boathouse Cantina on the river has great food and even better scenery.

The wifey found a bed and breakfast in Buena Vista and it was right on the AR River, we didnt stay there as the kids wanted a pool but it looked promising. Still it was $100/night.
__________________
My SPOT
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #68210
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 8,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
Except they would be backordered..and cost twice as much....



Man im gonna be eating crow if I trade the Beemer for a KTM soon.
Just be thankful that BMW doesn't make batteries, they'd cost 10 times as much and have to be charged up at Starbucks.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #68211
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 8,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
Just got word from my uncle, the boxes can likely be loaded by fork lift, so maybe Toyman wont have to sweat too much.

Don't let him know that!
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #68212
wayno
Beastly Adventurer
 
wayno's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: East of KCMO
Oddometer: 6,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
Mornin' ladies!

Hey you got yo twixter...ah twister fixed yet?
__________________
RIDE SAFE
My main prob in life has been, over thinking, except when I ....ah never mind
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #68213
TypeSH
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas Texas
Oddometer: 121
Anyone want to ride this weekend? I'm going to be in Springdale at the in-laws this weekend but I'm bringing a dual sport bike and prefer a riding buddy.
__________________
2014 CRF250L
TypeSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #68214
Scribe
£Bob£
 
Scribe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: In my natural state
Oddometer: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by advmgm View Post
I lived 20 miles north of Galveston since 1986 and just left the area last fall. Tired of humidity, cars, people and hurricanes.

To me, Galveston looks better now than during all the time I lived there, except for the last few years. It's cleaned up, painted up, lots of new buildings. A lot of the old historic homes that were getting pretty run down got our government money to get fixed and painted after Ike.

After Ike, a lot of the riff-raff that gave it "culture" moved out because the low income housing and apartments were torn down and not rebuilt. Its a much better tourist place and so much safer to visit.

Tilman Furtitta brought in his brothers Nevada casino gambling money to buy up and fix up stuff. They are poised so that if casino gambling ever becomes legal in Texas they can have a casino open and bringing in $$$ five minutes after its legal to do so. He has actually been good for the area.

I spent a lot of time on that island while I lived down close to it. Sure miss the good seafood!
Yeah, I had the best piece of fish there I have had in years. Just seemed to me that the place is more for tourists now and less for residents. They are charging for parking on the sea wall now! That's crap and its gonna bite 'em in the ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
Scribe, are you camping at West Fest or getting a hotel? The hotels are all overpriced in that area. Gateway Inn and Suites in Salida was about the cheapest we found. It's nice, clean and there is a good mex restaurant next door. Boathouse Cantina on the river has great food and even better scenery.

The wifey found a bed and breakfast in Buena Vista and it was right on the AR River, we didnt stay there as the kids wanted a pool but it looked promising. Still it was $100/night.
Camping through west fest, then I'm not sure what. Playing it by ear. That's the beauty of traveling without the rugrats. I'll sleep in a ditch if it comes to that
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no 'try.'"
— Yoda

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #68215
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 8,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
I'll sleep in a ditch if it comes to that
I've seen you ride, that's a likely outcome.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #68216
tcourdin
Resident Spooner
 
tcourdin's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 10,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Camping through west fest, then I'm not sure what. Playing it by ear. That's the beauty of traveling without the rugrats. I'll sleep in a ditch if it comes to that
Funny thing is, I could picture you in a ditch. Sounds like a great time, if you're still there in September i'll keep an eye out for you hitch hiking.
__________________
My SPOT
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #68217
Scribe
£Bob£
 
Scribe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: In my natural state
Oddometer: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I've seen you ride, that's a likely outcome.
That was actually pretty funny
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no 'try.'"
— Yoda

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #68218
ericdb7g
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ericdb7g's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Van Buren, AR
Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeSH View Post
Anyone want to ride this weekend? I'm going to be in Springdale at the in-laws this weekend but I'm bringing a dual sport bike and prefer a riding buddy.
I'm working nights this weekend but may try to squeeze in a ride sat or sun morning
ericdb7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #68219
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole
 
TRZ Charlie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 14,926
Did you get your wiring problem solved Eric?
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #68220
ericdb7g
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ericdb7g's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Van Buren, AR
Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Did you get your wiring problem solved Eric?
I took the the entire bike apart and inspected every last wire. Everything looked great, and the wiring recall had already been performed. I am going to attribute it to the open connector I left for the license plate light. I also removed the inner rear fender which allowed water from the wet road to splash on the end of the open connector. It never had any electrical issues before, so I doubt it's a coincidence.

I cleaned the connector up and sealed the end off from moisture. I feel comfortable with it now
ericdb7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014