Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #83941
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Great obit for a guy who knew how to live life.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/25/bo...av=bottom-well
Nice find. Should be a great read.

In reading this guy's background (RAF pilot on the '40s and writing a book on an epic motorcycle ride from Cape Town to England), it occurred to me that there is an inordinate number of pilots among ADV FF's....
I'm slow on the uptake, as it is pretty obvious and probably noted before, but a light flickered on in my brain (briefly).
SmugMug Rocks!
Valentino Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #83942
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,522
Thumb pass

I also will be free from my chains tomorrow.
But my SIL and I are going to Tulsa bike-shopping.

I haven't been able to find a KLX 250 locally, but I have the WR250R, DR650 and XR650L. There I can do a side-by-side comparison and finally make up my freekin' mind.

I was leaning Honda from the start, because of all the XLs I had growing up. But I convinced myself that I was being too narrow-minded.
The WR250R fits me like a glove, so it is in the running, but I AM a troglodyte so I am leery of fuel injection. I will probably want to do a big-bore on either the WR or the KLX, the DR is a bit cramped, and the XR I will only do probably a new bar and sprockets for starters.
Of course the carbs on any bike will need re-jetted (easy), the fuel injected WR is a bit more involved to cure the EPA-to-lean-from-the-factory condition.
The BMW F800 is both too big (heavy) and to small (seat to peg). KTMs and Betas are too expensive, and Huskys have too many teething problems.

So, is there anything that I haven't considered in the last two years that I have been ADV-bike shopping?
Old 07-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #83943
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,760
I am a Honda guy but the DR with a tall seat is hard to beat. If need be, Race Tech has a great suspension mod for it also. Very easy to remove 20/25 lbs but that also applies to the others. Every bike is a compromise. all those listed can work well.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #83944
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 7,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoklahoma View Post

I haven't been able to find a KLX 250 locally, but I have the WR250R, DR650 and XR650L. There I can do a side-by-side comparison and finally make up my freekin' mind.

I was leaning Honda from the start, because of all the XLs I had growing up. But I convinced myself that I was being too narrow-minded.
The WR250R fits me like a glove, so it is in the running, but I AM a troglodyte so I am leery of fuel injection. I will probably want to do a big-bore on either the WR or the KLX, the DR is a bit cramped, and the XR I will only do probably a new bar and sprockets for starters.
Of course the carbs on any bike will need re-jetted (easy), the fuel injected WR is a bit more involved to cure the EPA-to-lean-from-the-factory condition.
The BMW F800 is both too big (heavy) and to small (seat to peg). KTMs and Betas are too expensive, and Huskys have too many teething problems.

So, is there anything that I haven't considered in the last two years that I have been ADV-bike shopping?
I think you should get a GasGas. Or a Beta. Be bold. Strike a different path.

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #83945
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,434
Quote:
but I AM a troglodyte so I am leery of fuel injection.
dont sell yourself short on fuel injection..it is wonderful!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #83946
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,445
well Im back.

wife and I went put putting around the North central part of the state

3 days, a hair under 500 miles, we saw many neat things neither of us had seen before.

as a bonus, I saw a Bohawk in the wild!
Old 07-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #83947
k1w1t1m
Kiwi

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
I AM a troglodyte so I am leery of fuel injection.
Doesn't that bar electronic ignition too?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Have fun looking for the next bike.

'01 BMW R1150GS
k1w1t1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #83948
ozarkrider
Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer: 5,628
Hmmm

Am I the only one not getting notifications of new posts?

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #83949
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkrider View Post
Kathe and I are gonna drive over to Chickendale tomorrow to watch a Naturals ball game. We're spending the night in the F'ville are if anyone would like to have brekkie or lunch on Saturday.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #83950
JaiDee
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 2,392
Quote:

As you already know, it all gets down to what you're going to be using the bike for the majority of the time. Mostly gravel and blacktop? Mostly dirt? Getting to places where it's tight and technical and being comfortable there in the dirt? Or on the way there? Whatever.

I've been VERY happy with my WR. Yeah, it's definitely heavier than a "real" dirtbike. Yeah, it doesn't have enough power to easily loft the front wheel over obstacles in second or higher gears. It does have a great suspension though and revs to the moon. Oh, and it's very comfortable most of the time running up to about 60-65 mph. Faster than that is easy, but without a windscreen and more weight it's just not all that much fun. The last long trip I took was about 3500 miles and the bike performed flawlessly in dirt, at high speeds on gravel roads and up to 65-70 mph on rough secondary roads.

Why would you NOT want fuel injection? Does your car have fuel injection? Would you rather be running a carb in it? The XR250 I had prior to the WR was a SOB to get dialed in for the different altitudes I rode it in (9,000-11,000 in Colorado when I lived there and whatever altitude it is here in NW Ark). Once it was set it was great, but finding that perfect combination of jetting took a lot of work and working on the carb on that bike was a real hassle. I hated it. There's no way I'd buy another bike without FI. Or an electric starter. Ok, maybe if it was an old classic like a CZ or Maico.

Having said the above, I bought a F650GS Dakar to have as a comfortable long distance trip bike. It feels like a giant pig compared to the WR, but it's really comfortable and stable on gravel roads and highways. I put a nice windshield on it so I can cruise at highway speeds comfortably. I've got some TKC80s I'll put on it sometime for fun, but there's no way I'd consider it to really be dirt worthy. I think if I had the money I'd ideally buy a F800GS as my "other" bike, but I don't have that kind of cash.

Oh, another thing about the WR is the maintenance interval. What maintenance interval? Just ride it and ride it and ride it. Why ruin that by putting a big bore kit in it? If raw torque and horsepower is one of your most important concerns then the WR or KLX aren't the bikes for you.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm dumping on you. I'm not. Just my 2 cents worth after having lived with and loved the WR and now also having a heavy 650.

-JD
- Robert Frost
"Charter Member of the T.O. Club" '08 WR250R, '05 F650GS Dakar
JaiDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #83951
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 7,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
well Im back.

wife and I went put putting around the North central part of the state

3 days, a hair under 500 miles, we saw many neat things neither of us had seen before.

as a bonus, I saw a Bohawk in the wild!
You were gone?

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #83952
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
You were gone?
Yep.

But, I checked my work email and I see that you do not know the difference between reply and reply to all.

Scribe's second week on the job and he emailed everyone in the division his personal contact info, including Peggy's phone number.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #83953
Arkwhizzy
Arky by choice

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino Magoo View Post
Nice find. Should be a great read.

In reading this guy's background (RAF pilot on the '40s and writing a book on an epic motorcycle ride from Cape Town to England), it occurred to me that there is an inordinate number of pilots among ADV FF's....
I'm slow on the uptake, as it is pretty obvious and probably noted before, but a light flickered on in my brain (briefly).
Should not be to much of a surprise, as our sport attracts the sort that likes to stand on the edge and look down.

Of course, for some of us, the edge of a curb is plenty high.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:47 PM   #83954
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,523
Since Tapasuckahotchie won't let me see or quote JD.
Just wana say that the WR250R is what I prob will buy if I go to 1 bike and have been thinking bout that quite often lately

Sent using Tapatalk 2
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #83955
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
Since Tapasuckahotchie won't let me see or quote JD.
Just wana say that the WR250R is what I prob will buy if I go to 1 bike and have been thinking bout that quite often lately

Sent using Tapatalk 2
must be nice! I can barely afford to do breakfast in the morning, IF we do breakfast that is