ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
Juice Box OP
Got Ink?

Oddometer: 2,839
Proposed route North Ga, Smoky Mountains

Did i miss anything? Comments on proposed route would be much appreciated? Any points of interest off the beaten path?

www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com

Juice Box screwed with this post 03-27-2009 at 03:39 PM
Juice Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
foster
Huh?

Oddometer: 739
Hey Juice,
That's a nice route you picked but the question is how much time do you have to spend in the area and when do you plan to do this??

If you're limited in time and want a good taste of the area, you're route is as good as any you might choose and provides a mix of riding and scenery.

If you provide a bit more info regarding timing and types of things you would like to see/do, I'm sure we'll have a number of suggestions.

Points of interest might also depend on a willingness to spend time on gravel.
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Juice Box OP
Got Ink?

We will be in town for 5 days starting Memorial day weekend. Do you think the proposed route is ridable in one very long day? I love GRAVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Quote:
Originally Posted by foster
Hey Juice,
That's a nice route you picked but the question is how much time do you have to spend in the area and when do you plan to do this??

If you're limited in time and want a good taste of the area, you're route is as good as any you might choose and provides a mix of riding and scenery.

If you provide a bit more info regarding timing and types of things you would like to see/do, I'm sure we'll have a number of suggestions.

Points of interest might also depend on a willingness to spend time on gravel.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Box
Did i miss anything?

Man, posting that question with that map with just that fracton of roads highlighted is about like kissing one girl (hey, it's a family forum) during your life and asking, "Did I miss anything?" (Though, to take the metaphor a little further, she is quite a girl! )

Pretty much every road in that area is a gem. Since it looks like you're riding pavement, don't miss NC 28 from Franklin up to the edge of your map. And since you'll be there anyway, go ahead and do the Dragon and get a t-shirt.

Others will probably pipe in. (Edit: See, good ole Foster already has. I type slow.)

Happy ridin',
Chris

Land screwed with this post 03-27-2009 at 02:28 PM
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Juice Box OP
Got Ink?

Staying in Bryson City May 22-26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land

Man, posting that question with that map with just that fracton of roads highlighted is about like kissing one girl (hey, it's a family forum) during your life and asking, "Did I miss anything?" (Though, to take the metaphor a little further, she is quite a girl! )

Pretty much every road in that area is a gem. Since it looks like you're riding pavement, don't miss NC 28 from Franklin up to the edge of your map. And since you'll be there anyway, go ahead and do the Dragon and get a t-shirt.

Others will probably pipe in.

When are you heading this way?

Happy ridin',
Chris

Old 03-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Juice Box OP
Got Ink?

What about good places to eat along this route?

Old 03-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
foster
Huh?

Oddometer: 739
I think you can do that loop in one really long day in the saddle. There are a number of good Forest Service roads throughout the area. One system follows the valley below the Cherohala Skyway and other good ones exist throughout NC and Georgia.

I second Land on the Hwy 28 suggestion. Not only from Franklin to Hwy 74 but from Hwy 74 up to Deals Gap.

Be prepared: it will be a zoo up here that weekend! Bikes, cars, paddlers, idiots and tourists and probably a fair amount of law enforcement. I hear they're already stepping up efforts in N. Ga.

Keep us posted there will be opportunities to hook up with locals if you like.

The DOGs (Georgia)will be adding to this I am sure and know the area well.
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
Tripper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Not a bad road in your list there. You'll love 60/68. You might want to look at 197 from 76 west of Clayton to Batesville.

I've ridden a very close approximation of your map many times and it makes for a long and enjoyable day. As mentioned, 28 north out of Franklin is great, but if I had to choose either one, it would be Wayah. Less traffic for sure. Make no mistake though, 28 from Highlands to Deals Gap is an absolute blast if you catch the traffic just right.The run early morning to Tellico Plains is wonderful. For that matter, the run down to Warwoman in the early morning is good. So, north or east out of Suches is fine. For me it works better to run the route clockwise.

Have a blast and stay safe.
~lloyd in atlanta
Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
Juice Box OP
Got Ink?

That would be awesome, we would love to hook up with some locals. I have a group of about 10-12 coming from www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster

Keep us posted there will be opportunities to hook up with locals if you like.

The DOGs (Georgia)will be adding to this I am sure and know the area well.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #10
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,614
What sort of bikes are y'all on?

I would not miss Wayah Rd near Robbinsville, Germany road west of Clayton, the Cherohala Skyway to Tellico Plains, or Warwoman Rd east of Clayton.

From Tellico Plains to The GA line near Ducktown I personally prefer Tellico-Reliance Rd (I think it's Hwy 30 or something) and you get to ride along the same river they did the 96 Olympics on as well that way. But 68 is also nice and is shorter. However if you get stuck behind a parade of cars or cruisers it takes FOREVER and there are few chances to pass. 68 is more popular and more well traveled than Tellico-Relliance Rd is.

In Helen you should run 348 for sure.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #11
Mr Baggins
Stinky Feet

Oddometer: 1,035
Juice
To tell you the truth it really does not matter what road you take around here.

They are all good.

If you do this route in one day and you add in some gravel you will be dog tired.
Adventure is a path. Real adventure - self-determined, self-motivated, often risky - forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind - and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white. -
Mr Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Baggins
Juice
To tell you the truth it really does not matter what road you take around here.

They are all good.

If you do this route in one day and you add in some gravel you will be dog tired.
And do not forget to stop by Mr Baggins' to say hey to one of the funniest fuckers you'll ever meet, and a pretty nice dude to boot! Hiya Greg!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #13
Mr Baggins
Stinky Feet

Oddometer: 1,035
Flux.
Wish i could ride with the dogs this weekend.
Adventure is a path. Real adventure - self-determined, self-motivated, often risky - forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind - and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white. -
Mr Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
jimncin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Box
What about good places to eat along this route?

I like the little cafe on the square in old downtown Tellico Plains,

home made pie

or

the cheap mexican place in McCaysville.

I would stay away from Helen Ga. if it is a holiday.
jimncin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #15
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimncin
I like the little cafe on the square in old downtown Tellico Plains,

home made pie
I'll second that. Get some homemade sweet potato fries if they are on the menu.