ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #16
Juice Box OP
Got Ink?

Oddometer: 2,835
Couple of Motards, a pair of DR-650's, a pair of stroms, couple of GS's, a speed triple and a Daytona.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
What sort of bikes are y'all on?

www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com
Juice Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #17
Reverse
Armchair Tough

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
I'll second that. Get some homemade sweet potato fries if they are on the menu.
Then, stop by Mike's store (Tellico Moto).

I like the route you set out. It is pretty ambitious, but I think can be done. I ride from just North of Atlanta, and I can do Atlanta - Dahlonega - Tellico - Deal's Gap (once up and down), Robbinsville, Murphy, Blairsville - Dahlonega - Atlanta easily in a day (that's about 350 miles IIRC).

If you like gravel (and dirt) roads, you could ride between Tellico and Murphy on forest roads. I did that a few weeks ago on my Adv, fun!

Or you could could ride between Tellico and about halfway down the Skyway on gravel and dirt, then hit the Skyway to brush up on your cornering skills, then on to Deal's Gap to join the festivities.

Mike will be able to fill you in on the details, he's got free maps and will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Some of my favorite roads in the area:

GA60/TN68
Cherohala Skyway
Deal's Gap/The Dragon
Warwoman Road
215, near Cashiers, NC (between Highway64 and the Blue Ridge Parkway

View Larger Map
Old 03-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #18
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,594
I agree, a stop by Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters is a MUST. I was bummed we got there too late last weekend... Mike passed us as we were filling up at the Chevron there.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #19
WarriorDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
From Bryson City on the Holiday weekend you should probably go either East or South. Stay away from the Gap on the weekends. Lots of good suggestions mentioned. Great BBQ joint on the Hwy coming off the mountain from Highland into Cashiers. Find Wayah Rd, also find Hwy 28 from Deals Gap to Franklin. In Tennessee, Hwy 68 from Tellico to Ductown then across Hwy 64/74 west to Hwy 30 then take catch 315 (Tellico Reliance Road) to Hwy 39 and back to Tellico. Gotta get on the Cherohala too. In GA, take Hwy 60 south from Blue Ridge Ga to Suches Ga then on to Turners Corner and catch Hwy 129 across Blood Mtn. (Awesome twisties on Blood Mtn) Hwy 180 (near Brasstown Bald) will keep you out of Helen, GA on the holiday weekend. That loop that you pictured can be done in one day. But, it will be a long day.
If you want some off road stuff then get to Tellico and find the Bald River Falls, the Fish Hatchery and keep on going until the pavement stops for some of the best off road riding in the South. Watch out for the rock crawlers.
WarriorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #20
Reverse
Armchair Tough

There were some great tips in here for roads I wasn't aware of yet. I put together my Ultimate Tour (a work in progress). I am going to ride this first version tomorrow, 376 miles (not counting riding to and from the Stone Pile in Dahlonega):

Reverse screwed with this post 03-28-2009 at 03:39 PM
Reverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #21
Juice Box OP
Got Ink?

Please give me a report on your return.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse
There were some great tips in here for roads I wasn't aware of yet. I put together my Ultimate Tour (a work in progress). I am going to ride this first version tomorrow, 376 miles (not counting riding to and from the Stone Pile in Dahlonega):

Old 03-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #22
Reverse
Armchair Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Box
Please give me a report on your return.....
Yes sir! Did this route on Sunday. 10 hours, 371 miles on the loop (and another 90 to get to the start of the loop and back home), almost no stopping. Discovered some awesome new roads thanks to the inmates here. Will write up report with route if anyone's interested.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #23
Juice Box OP
Got Ink?

Yes, please write up a report. I'm really looking forward to this ride come May.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse
Yes sir! Did this route on Sunday. 10 hours, 371 miles on the loop (and another 90 to get to the start of the loop and back home), almost no stopping. Discovered some awesome new roads thanks to the inmates here. Will write up report with route if anyone's interested.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #24
weave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Juice
your missing alot ....thats a hefty route for one day,not much time for anything but riding.
give me a call before you go.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:37 AM   #25
NC HILLBILLY
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Juice,

My advice is to bring your computer with ya and post up daily ride meeting times and locations. You have had some of the very best area NC and GA dual sport riders post up here with ride suggestions. Unless you specifically want to ride alone or with a group thats coming with you, these people could SHOW you more great dual sport routes and loops in a day than you could probably find on your own during many days of riding. Some folks like to ride alone or with there own small groups though and this might not be your cup of tea. We understand that and will still help ya in anyway we can. Have fun, be careful and enjoy the mountains. I be watching around that time and might be able to hook up with ya as well......Mark

Current Stable:

2007 DR 650 (For The Rougher Stuff In Life)
2009 DL 1000 (For Those Laid Back Days)

Bygone Days:

69 Honda 50-----72 Suz 90
74 DT 250-------78 TT 500
80 KZ 650-------87 KLR 650
88 NX 250-------99 DR 650
03 DRZ----------04 SXC 625
06 950 ADV----- 99 DR 200
NC HILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:44 AM   #26
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,783
JB, I would normally suggest that you can do no wrong in that area. You MUST hit 28 from Franklin to Lauada. It is my favorite road period. Others have suggested it too, and it wouldn't really add any time to your loop. I'd give myself 2 days to do that though. You'll get the full benefit of taking in the scenery, the food, the people etc.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:42 PM   #27
Juice Box OP
Got Ink?

We would love to hook up with some locals for a tour. How about we try to put something together for Sunday May 24th?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC HILLBILLY
Juice,

My advice is to bring your computer with ya and post up daily ride meeting times and locations. You have had some of the very best area NC and GA dual sport riders post up here with ride suggestions. Unless you specifically want to ride alone or with a group thats coming with you, these people could SHOW you more great dual sport routes and loops in a day than you could probably find on your own during many days of riding. Some folks like to ride alone or with there own small groups though and this might not be your cup of tea. We understand that and will still help ya in anyway we can. Have fun, be careful and enjoy the mountains. I be watching around that time and might be able to hook up with ya as well......Mark

Old 03-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #28
NC HILLBILLY
Beastly Adventurer

I'll pencil the 24th in on my calender. Stay in touch as the time nears and maybe start up a new post for that day with a time and meeting location.

Any takers for 05/24/09.....baglien, RBrider, Easy Rider, E Vader, mdrake, Mr Baggins, foster, mgarrett, HelenWheels, sniper, STROMIN'NORMAN, WNC KEENER, mad dog driver, hooverider, Barone, Shandy, CDS, lesters, Admin, blastfurnise, Joewannabe, Hines, leewildwater and any DOGS out there ?????

Current Stable:

Bygone Days:

Old 03-31-2009, 04:48 PM   #29
Juice Box OP
Got Ink?

I will start a new thread. Can you suggest a meeting place? Preferably somewhere where we can get some breakfast?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC HILLBILLY
I'll pencil the 24th in on my calender. Stay in touch as the time nears and maybe start up a new post for that day with a time and meeting location.

Any takers for 05/24/09.....baglien, RBrider, Easy Rider, E Vader, mdrake, Mr Baggins, foster, mgarrett, HelenWheels, sniper, STROMIN'NORMAN, WNC KEENER, mad dog driver, hooverider, Barone, Shandy, CDS, lesters, Admin, blastfurnise, Joewannabe, Hines, leewildwater and any DOGS out there ?????

Old 03-31-2009, 04:57 PM   #30
NC HILLBILLY
Beastly Adventurer

Just pick you an eatery around Bryson City if thats where your staying. From there you can began a day long northern loop or southern loop that suits all the riders attending. From Bryson City, Fry Mountain and over the Big Laurel come to mind as well as Winding Stairs, Wayah Rd and USFS 711 for a start. All that can be decided at breakfast though...........Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Box
I will start a new thread. Can you suggest a meeting place? Preferably somewhere where we can get some breakfast?

Current Stable:

Bygone Days: