User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
KLRscoob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Question F800GS Strange Vibrating / Buzzing

Has anyone experienced a strange buzz/fibrating sound at 1200-3100 RPM. It sounds like when my sportbikes cam chains start to loosen up and need adjusting, the bike has only 1K on it and I have done all the appropriate service. It is driving me crazy, the dealer says "everything sounds normal"??? The bike seems to run okay but it is worrying me. thanks
KLRscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Nope. But it could be there and I just haven't noticed. I spend much next to no time in that RPM range.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
Rattle

Mine has little rattle till she's warmed up a bit. Nothing that bothers me though.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,524
My F800 sounds a little noisy as well... the mechanic at the dealership, said that's way they are..... (but keep an eye out in case it gets louder) love that disclaimer mentality.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Remember that it's a motorcycle. It has an engine that is out in the open. You're going to hear the engine working in High Definition!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
KLRscoob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

noise

it keeps getting louder and more frequently heard at wider RPM range. I will be stopping by the dealer Monday, I guess this is why I got the 6yr Unlimited Warranty
Old 03-29-2009, 06:29 AM   #7
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
Thumb F800scoob

Lets us know what the rattle turns out to be. And fill out yer profile so we know where you are.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
Mista Toad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I don't know if it's the same problem I've been having, but it's in the same rpm range.

It only happens when I accelerate sort of hard.

It falls off by about 4000rpm.

It's a rattle that sounds like an old fashioned small wimpy car horn. It drives me crazy. I thought it was maybe the brake cable or clutch cable rattling against something, but holding them tight against something isn't helping.

KRLscoob, is the sound like when a chain is starting to loosen, or is the sound coming from that location? For me, it's up front, but I can't tell if it's in front of the windshield (or from the windshield itself) or from something near the computer or speedo or tach. I always wear a helmet, and it's preventing me from isolating the sound---I need to experiment.

I'm pretty sure it's a small problem---all the screws are tightened...etc...

I'll duct tape the whole damned thing, if I need, or if it'll help. It's making me lose my mind---especially when I think it's an actual car horn.
Mista Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:23 AM   #9
ornithoid
Banned

Oddometer: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Toad
KRLscoob, is the sound like when a chain is starting to loosen, or is the sound coming from that location? For me, it's up front, but I can't tell if it's in front of the windshield (or from the windshield itself) or from something near the computer or speedo or tach. I always wear a helmet, and it's preventing me from isolating the sound---I need to experiment.
LOL! Over in my thread about my Wee Strom, I mentioned having the same problem. A sound coming up through the fairing when I coast/decelerate... and it doesn't seem engine-rpm-related, in my case. Folks there told me "bikes make noise, and all the worse because you're right atop the engine".
I won't belittle the OP because I know how maddening sounds can be when you think your vehicle shouldn't be making that particular sound. But don't freak out about it. Be methodical. Understand that chances are if it starts to cause a problem, you'll figure it out and it'll get fixed. And if it doesn't cause a problem--hey, no problem!
ornithoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #10
KLRscoob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The dealer said....

Took it to the dealer and they said it is normal noise, I have the aftermarket skid plate and engine gaurds and they said this is most likely making the noise amplified. I still is getting more pronounced after every ride and I think that there is another problem. It sounds exactly like my gixxer race bikes when the cam chain needs to be adjusted. I know, it is a motorbike and they make noise, but I am meticulous about the care of my bikes and hate the little things. I am one of those guys that gets her dirty and as soon as I get home she gets her bath Time will tell and I will keep y'all posted.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #11
Mista Toad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
So it sounds like KLRscoob has a different problem. I know my problem isn't serious. It's just seriously annoying!

I'm used to all sorts of strange sounds b/c I have a TJ (Jeep Wrangler)...and it's funny b/c on the Jeep forums, everyone always says the same things, "It's a Jeep, they make noises!"

Not having doors makes it more like the bike in that respect as well...you hear things you'd never hear in a car.

...but being in tune with your vehicle, you know what noises are normal and which aren't---my issue is a vibe thing of some sort and I just need to figure out where so I can properly dampen it.
Mista Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
Team Vegas

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Toad View Post
I don't know if it's the same problem I've been having, but it's in the same rpm range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Toad View Post

It only happens when I accelerate sort of hard.

It falls off by about 4000rpm.

It's a rattle that sounds like an old fashioned small wimpy car horn. It drives me crazy. I thought it was maybe the brake cable or clutch cable rattling against something, but holding them tight against something isn't helping.

I'm pretty sure it's a small problem---all the screws are tightened...etc...

I'll duct tape the whole damned thing, if I need, or if it'll help. It's making me lose my mind---especially when I think it's an actual car horn.
You ever figure out what this was? My 2011 started doing it today.
Thanks
Team Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:15 AM   #13
DonHo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
My 2010 model does about the same thing. Noise off the bottom, then about 5000 under aggressive acceleration. Been doing it for several thousand miles, doesn't seem to be a serious problem, but it is annoying. If anyone knows exactly what it is, I would be very interested in what it is.

14 1200GSAW, 12F800gs, 11Griso, 10XR1200, 08S2R1000, 90BMW K1, 77Boneville, 76R75/6
DonHo is online now   Reply With Quote