User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Nate and Arts Most Excellent MexVenture

From the creators of Nate and Arts Most Excellent TATVenture comes "Nate and Arts Most Excellent MexVenture"!!!

Follow us as we head south and…….hopefully come back.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 01-11-2015, 11:27 PM   #3
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Headed out!

I left Walnut Shade at 7:00 Friday morning at a balmy 10 degrees. Luckly I had purchased at least heated gloves and with the combination of those, heated grips, a down jacket and down pants, I was able to make it a few hours riding each time across Oklahoma.

RideOut

My feet however were frozen blocks of ice and I had to hook up my gloves to my power let. So I had blazing saddles hot and off.

I ended up blistering my fingers.

DSC_0005

Wind was another enemy and anyone who has driven that route knows that you never are really fully upright during the ride. Most of the time I was at a slight lean to the left.

I made it to Amarillo. Worse ride of my life.

Saturday was a much better day. Headed South out of Amarillo to Demig to meet up with Art.

Passed the White Sands Missile Area, that place is cool. I wonder if you could camp out and watch them shoot missiles?

I also thought it was interesting that when they are doing the testing that they could shut down that highway. As per the huge sign I saw anyway.

DSC_0009

DSC_0014
Old 01-11-2015, 11:36 PM   #4
roaming_art
In transit...

Oddometer: 197
This is heading west from Long Beach, CA. Somewhere along the 10. Really excited to cross the border tomorrow after spending the entire day peeking south and knowing Mexico was just 'ore yonder'. My ride to Deming was less intense to say the least.

roaming_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Thunder_Jay
Here and There

Oddometer: 171
I grew up near Roswell, NM and rode across White Sand so many times I can't recall. Southern NM definitely has dreadful winds quite often too. That area is "enchanting" in its own way. Head through Villa Ahumada south of Juarez if you get a chance, the town is known for their assadero and they make great quesadillas.

Joshua
Thunder_Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,911
In
Dirt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #7
ORF
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Aim high

Kelly Sumner (ORF) here. Planning on taking a side trip while doing the CDT in August to see White Sands Missile Base, TorC, Ruidoso. Dad was stationed at White Sands and met my mom who lived in Ruidoso. Still have family there.
ORF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
mootsuno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
You guys didn't invite me for this one, just kidding.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
And Nate when are you going to finish the TAT
video footage?

Have fun!
Old 01-12-2015, 06:07 PM   #9
todd900ss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Super Troopers to start....
In
todd900ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:23 PM   #10
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nueva Casas Grandes

Alright guys. Had a short ride to NC Grandes.

During our border crossing Art got hustled a bit, but he stood his ground. The immigration guy was either trying to get 50 bucks from us or he was doing him a solid.

Art will explain more.

I just stood there and added that the amount he wanted was a lot of money for future time in Mexico. We had to go back and forth between 2 different buildings before we could go.

Never the less, there were clear roads and blue skies (mostly) the rest of the way.

Super excited that my beast got 47mpg's. I threw on a jet kit before I left.

On our drive in, instead of showering us with rose peddle across our path, they used chili peppers. They were scattered for like 5 miles.

DSC_0002

Beautiful scenery all day with the occasional guy peeing on the side of the road.

DSC_0005

We easily made it to Nueva Casas Grandes and were starving. Asked around and found this taqueria. La Rosas.

DSC_0012

Art is pretty excited.

DSC_0013

The only thing was that they didn't have beer!!!!

DSC_0014

Its ok, cause we are drinking them now at La Hacienda. Nice courtyard, pool. Dead. I think we are the only ones here. Which is fine. Its cool, but we like it. We were discussing how freaking hot the TAT was and you would sweat just thinking. We are drinking beers on that table in the pic. We might belly up to the bar later.

DSC_0015
Old 01-13-2015, 12:27 AM   #11
roaming_art
In transit...

The border snafu wasn't a huge deal. One of the guys at the Banjercito office looked through my passport and noticed that I'd visited Mexico a few times in the past. These were fly-in vacations with the wife/and or fam, and I tried as best as I could in broken mexinglish and hand gestures to explain that I never had a bike on these trips and that I was never told, or required to get an exiting stamp on my passport when leaving through Customs in the airports. He said he could "take care of it" for $50. Didn't sit right with me. I noticed his friend was whispering to him about how much this "fine" would be so I refused to pay it, and the guy eventually let up and made an exception. I'm still unconvinced.

Crisis averted.

Taqueria la Rosa was a great recommendation from the receptionist at the Hotel Hacienda in Nueva Casas Grandes. The place only offers Al pastor and Carne Asada meat options but their topping and salsa spread was second to none and served with every order. Money!

Stoked for everything tomorrow brings!
Old 01-14-2015, 12:47 AM   #12
roaming_art
In transit...

We made Cuauhtémoc today! Can't post any pictures because the internet here is super slow. But tomorrow we'll probably be heading towards Basaseachic falls, or Creel, depending on how we're feeling. Cuauhtémoc seems like a good city, we tried to find a hotel downtown but we weren't seeing any options and the GPS kept pushing us towards the cities outskirts so that's where we ended up staying. For the twisties fans, south of Buenaventura holds some FUN roads. Just watch out for the oncoming semi's "sharing" the two lane on those turns. Till next time.

Photo barrage will happen at the first available opportunity.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #13
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tire Options?

I put on a set of tires at the beginning of the trip not realizing that the ride out from Missouri would take such a toll.

Now I am looking for some tires. I looked in Hermosillo, that might be my best bet for sizes. Or should I call ahead to Motorcycle Supper stores and have them ship some to a Hermosillo tire shop?

Sizes 21 90/90 and 18 150/70 Big big tires.

I am going to check here in Cuauhtemoc at a Honda place. Suerte to me.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #14
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,831
That ride getting across Western Ok and Texas is a real bitch this time of year if you hit the weather wrong. You guys are in for a great time if the weather holds off for you in the tail of the Rockies. Looking forward to more

Hope you got ahold of Tury for some up to date information on the roads in the canyons.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #15
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Cool start....
standing by for more!