kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,991
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #47
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,736
He called to tell me he made it back 'home' the other day.

He is probably too busy with work to finish this RR, because he sucks ass.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:46 AM   #48
Tequiladezert
Cabeza de mapa

Oddometer: 121
what? nothing yet?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #49
MotoPhotog
Mr Photog

Oddometer: 116
crickets man. Crickets.
www.darrenbeattyphotography.com
MotoPhotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #50
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
http://www.entertonement.com/clips/40547/Well-we're-waiting
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #51
BlueBuell
Banned

Oddometer: 421
Dude, what an exciting report! Your adventure riding on the fly! Risky, but you only live once. Don't go changin on me, and keep it real.
BlueBuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #52
MotoPhotog
Mr Photog

Oddometer: 116
so, dude? You're home. Gonna finish up?????
www.darrenbeattyphotography.com
MotoPhotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #53
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrproper
Uh-oh… take it easy man. Hopefully you’re doing OK!! Those damn Baja Gods can be harsh.
Yet they are also merciful and kind. Some call this Baja Magic...I am a believer! No Bad Days!!!
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #54
barstowblues
Use2beFastUntilICrashed

Oddometer: 38
We all know you are home and

we are still waiting for the rest of the story. Pleeeease !
barstowblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:05 AM   #55
kta OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
ok ok ok!

I've been back in the states for a bit now. The ride report has been written up for a while I just haven't posted because uploading my pictures failed a couple times. Oddly enough the internet was more reliable in Baja than it is in LA. Ha.

It's broken up into several chunks - but here we go....

----------------------------------------------

Arriving at a destination is always bittersweet – I enjoyed my 4 nights in Cabo for what they were and reminisced over the trip so far.

Before I knew it it was time for the return run. I purchased a few of the tools that slipped from the hole in my saddlebag, changed the motor oil in the hotel parking lot, bump started the bike on the street, and I was off!

I took the main road a ways north to start off with some progress. I jetted off here and there to do some dirt loops and check out interesting terrain – not really thinking of where I was heading until after sundown. I stopped for dinner in a busy street-side restaurant in Constitucion and garnered lots of laughs when pushing my bike up and down the street a hot mess trying to start it. An outburst occurred when I stumbled, dumped the bike onto the sidewalk and tumbled over top. I could feel their eyes on me, but didn't sweat the humiliation and gave a quick bow.

I decided to press on through the dark back to Loredo and make a second attempt to reach San Juanico in the morning.

It was far too late to look for camping and I was exhausted from 400 miles of mixed terrain. I dropped my sleeping pad on the main beach strip beneath a streetlight and fell asleep. I was awoken constantly throughout the night by drunken Mexicans blaring their car horns and yelling out their windows in my direction – I'm sure it was an unusual sight, but I hardly see the rhubarb.

I woke up early, worked for a few, had a banana and took off across the peninsula to the west coast fishing towns.

The dirt out to San Jose de Comondu was fun and scenic. I had a couple light spills while over-driving my worn tires in the corners. Thankfully the ground was firm and sloped and I felt well rested – I was able to bump start the bike both times without too much fuss.

After San Jose it was a short jaunt to San Isidro, or so I thought. But despite following the sign, and San Isidro being only 18 miles away, I would never see it . . . . .

kta screwed with this post 10-21-2009 at 08:53 AM
kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:27 AM   #56
kta OP
Studly Adventurer

. . . . the road began to get rough and it was a lot of work to manhandle the bike. The road deteriorated more and more, progress in second gear was slow. After 20 tedious miles I was getting tired and knew I had made a mistake somewhere, but had no idea where.

Another 10 miles of winding first gear mountain roads and I began to become concerned that the road would not improve and might dead-end. I stopped several times to consult my map but it did not reveal any paths I may possibly be on. Soon the road really turned to hell, was very steep, loose, and rocky and winding all over the place. Not knowing where I was I decided to backtrack to the last fork and hope it would be a bit smoother. Back through the mountain passes I was breathing heavy and beginning to be upset – I wanted to get to San Juanico and it was still a long long ways.

While turning down another similar road I dropped the bike in deep sand and it sputtered out. I immediately knew this was going to be trouble.

The ground was soft, sandy and loose, and I was at the bottom of a hill in each direction. I peeled off my gear and prepared to push. In this terrain the bike's front end just sunk in when pushed. there was no way I'd build up enough speed to get it started, let alone the traction. I futilely fought the bike for 30 minutes in the blazing sun pushing with all the strength I could muster. I was simply not fast enough, strong enough, and the rear wheel did not have traction.

Fatigued, panting, dripping in sweat and insatiably thirsty I reached into my saddlebag and felt around for the half gallon of water I brought with me. It was around 2:30pm, I had been on the road for over 5 hours and had hardly covered any miles.

When pulling the bottle out of the bag the cap dislodged and the entire bottle dumped into the sand. No more than a tablespoon made it to my mouth, and little did I know.... my day was just beginning. . .

It was at this moment I noticed my lucky AZD cup had fallen off the back of the bike and was nowhere to be found.

kta screwed with this post 10-21-2009 at 08:54 AM
Old 04-19-2009, 02:42 AM   #57
kta OP
Studly Adventurer

…. I sat in the dirt a few to catch my breath and regain composure. I had to push the bike up the hill or I'd be stuck. So up hill I went. The bike was heavy and the ground was soft. I heaved and pushed and strained and grunted. Foot by foot I forced the bike upwards. Another half hour and I laid in the dirt shielding my face from the sun to catch my breath. I was near the top of the hill.

When the countdown hit one I used every bit of strength I had to push the bike down through the rocks. At top speed I jumped on and dumped the clutch. The rear end hopped around and the bike sputtered and dragged to a halt. I knew I was close. There was space for one more good run before I'd have to go back up. My body was exhausted, my mouth was dry, and it was hot.

Again the countdown began and soon I ran along side the bike, digging into the ground and propelling it forward. I hit the firmest section of ground at decent speed, hopped on and dropped the lever. The bike roared to life and I think I damn near smiled.

I pulled down to the bottom of the hill by my gear, put the bike into neutral, and let off the lever..... sphump...... FUCK, it wasn't in neutral.

Back where I started.

Another hour later and the bike was running once again. I was now drained, soaking wet, and so thirsty it hurt. I had been stuck for well over two hours pushing the bike at the peak of sunlight in the middle of the desert, with no idea where I was.

The road I thought might lead to salvation did not, so I had to traverse the mountain rocks a third time and continue in the original direction.

There were no houses, no recent tire tracks, no signs of life anywhere.. . . . . .
Old 04-19-2009, 02:46 AM   #58
kta OP
Studly Adventurer

…... I rode on panting wildly due to a combination of exhaustion, thirst, and difficult terrain. What I wouldn't give for a nice cold glass of water and a sandwich.

After another hour or so the road started to smooth out a bit and I picked up the pace.

While humming along in 4th gear my front end suddenly took a bad bounce off a rock and I rocketed towards the shoulder. My front end collided with a large rock – the bike immediately flipped and I was catapulted over the bars, violently tumbling end over end into the rocks along the edge of the road. It all happened in slow motion. Everything went black for a moment, then my vision came back blurred, just in time to feel the bike land on top of me.

My immediate thought was that I might die right here right now.

The wind had been knocked out of me and as I gasped for air I could already feel blood running down the inside of my jacket. My entire body was in extreme pain and crumpled up in the rocks squashed beneath the bike.

A quick mental scan showed my left knee, right arm, and ribs to be throbbing in pain and my thoughts immediately turned to a broken knee cap.

I inched my way from under the bike in a daze. I extended my arms and legs and was almost joyous when they did not appear to be broken. After a few gasps I slowly got on my feet, but I was still quite dizzy and had to catch myself from falling a couple times.

Once my mind cleared up a bit and broken bones didn't seem likely I immediately turned to the bike to see it upside down with gas draining out. I knew I had to stop the gas leak so I flipped the bike over as fast as I could, lifted it up onto the wheels, threw down the kickstand then promptly collapsed in pain nearby.

There were broken shards of metal on the ground, but I had no interest in them yet.

While laying down I could already feel my knee swelling like a softball, and the blood showing through my pants and jersey in a variety of locations was worrisome.

The prospect of having to ride out of here hadn't yet crossed my mind.....

kta screwed with this post 04-19-2009 at 02:56 AM
Old 04-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #59
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,427
WOW, crazy ride!!
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #60
Baja Ho