Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 02:41 AM   #76
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by kta
I thought I would be able to 'fix' this today. The splines were already a bit worn before I left, so I made sure to bring a longer bolt to run through the knuckle on the shaft so I could really pinch it down tight. But when I put a little pressure on the existing bolt the head broke off. I'll need to drill it out and replace the whole thing - something I won't tackle in mexico.

Great RR!
Just started reading this so I know I'm a month late on this comment but Mexico is the place to fix something like that! Any thing like that ... every town has a tornillero and if your lucky he'll be working on it right next to a great taco stand!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #77
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by kta
I had been on the road for over 5 hours and had hardly covered any miles.

When pulling the bottle out of the bag the cap dislodged and the entire bottle dumped into the sand. No more than a tablespoon made it to my mouth, and little did I know.... my day was just beginning. . .
Oh man, i've been there alright. Not having water blows, big time, then you torture yourself with thoughts of cool clean running water flowing over your head. Reading that just about made me break down and sob like a little girl.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #78
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Very interesting report. Look forward to the rest of it!

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #79
MYT1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Has it occured to anyone the reason this ride report stopped is because KTA really did die out in the desert? Just wondering
MYT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #80
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
There's a fine line between being brave and adventurous and being stupid.

No one thing you decided to do was stupid, but when you compound them all you got what you had coming in my opinion. Let's enumerate your errors to date.

1. Started a ride on a bike who's kick starter splines where starting to go.
2. Didn't take the time to repair the hole in your saddle bag with even some duct tape on the inside.
3. Only had one source of water.
4. Failed basic land nav multiple times
5. Didn't carry spare gas
6. Didn't have real bark busters or didn't have them adjusted so they actually protected your levers.
7. Where riding alone.
8. Continued to ride deeper into the desert on a bike with a busted starting system.
9. Where over riding your tires.
10. Didn't take your time when things started to go wrong which means you had to push the bike up the hill again.

You can only do so many of the above before the shit is going to catch up with you.

Remember:

Prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #81
Rashnak
Lorem Ipsum

Oddometer: 9,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog
There's a fine line between being brave and adventurous and being stupid.

No one thing you decided to do was stupid, but when you compound them all you got what you had coming in my opinion. Let's enumerate your errors to date.

1. Started a ride on a bike who's kick starter splines where starting to go.
2. Didn't take the time to repair the hole in your saddle bag with even some duct tape on the inside.
3. Only had one source of water.
4. Failed basic land nav multiple times
5. Didn't carry spare gas
6. Didn't have real bark busters or didn't have them adjusted so they actually protected your levers.
7. Where riding alone.
8. Continued to ride deeper into the desert on a bike with a busted starting system.
9. Where over riding your tires.
10. Didn't take your time when things started to go wrong which means you had to push the bike up the hill again.

You can only do so many of the above before the shit is going to catch up with you.

Remember:

Prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance.
I wrote a post exactly like this on this ride report- then I deleted it before I posted.

Think- does everyone have perfect gear, perfect knowledge of terrain, etc?

Nope- many of us have to make due with the equipment we have. Instead of sitting home waiting for that BMW or KTM outfitted with everything Touratech sells we go out and ride the motorcycle that we have. We seek adventure and pushing the edge because life is meaningless when it is perfectly safe. If we wanted safe we would all be in a car with airbags... or better yet just turn on the TV and be safe and warm at home.

Now obviously the OP made mistakes... water, maps, gear, etc. But we know he is fine and got out.

I personally reject both extremes... I would not place myself in that position with bad gear and no water but OTOH I don't want to sit at home waiting for the Touratech catalog to come. This guy has a story to tell and a experience that he will not forget. I would not do what he did but I don't think we should say he was wrong for going.

That which does not kill you will only make you stronger.
Rashnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #82
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashnak
I wrote a post exactly like this on this ride report- then I deleted it before I posted.

Think- does everyone have perfect gear, perfect knowledge of terrain, etc?

Nope- many of us have to make due with the equipment we have. Instead of sitting home waiting for that BMW or KTM outfitted with everything Touratech sells we go out and ride the motorcycle that we have. We seek adventure and pushing the edge because life is meaningless when it is perfectly safe. If we wanted safe we would all be in a car with airbags... or better yet just turn on the TV and be safe and warm at home.

Now obviously the OP made mistakes... water, maps, gear, etc. But we know he is fine and got out.

I personally reject both extremes... I would not place myself in that position with bad gear and no water but OTOH I don't want to sit at home waiting for the Touratech catalog to come. This guy has a story to tell and a experience that he will not forget. I would not do what he did but I don't think we should say he was wrong for going.

No I don't think everyone has perfect knowledge or gear. Nor do I think that is a requirement.

Making errors is part of life. The problem is when you bite off more than you can chew.

The best way to grow from your mistakes is honest After Action Reports (AAR) and constructive debriefings.

He should have done a better job planning what he was doing around what he had to work with.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #83
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Let me add a little bit more...

Taking risk is part of going on adventure. Managing those risk so you come back alive is part of it to.

Going on adventures like this require certain decision making processes around your and your gears capability to properly manage those risks. The more extreme the ride or the environment the more care you need to take in planning. Things like 2 water containers so the failure of one would not have been catastrophic would have been a good idea. Things like riding slower because you had already been down 2 or 3 times earlier that day and you're exhausted because you had to drag your bike up a hill twice.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #84
mtndragon
Traveler

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashnak

Quote:
Making errors is part of life
There is wisdom in both of these thoughts.

kta made it out alive, so we can now laugh and learn. I don't know that I would have wanted to be in his shoes, or would have taken his walk that way, but I am glad to be sharing now.

So please, carry on kta, I am ready for more baja stories and friendly laughter.

Misery and success are two ingredients for a great story!
mtndragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #85
vdlcinc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
No I don't think everyone has perfect knowledge or gear. Nor do I think that is a requirement.

Making errors is part of life. The problem is when you bite off more than you can chew.

The best way to grow from your mistakes is honest After Action Reports (AAR) and constructive debriefings.

He should have done a better job planning what he was doing around what he had to work with.
I'm kinda new here... but is your idea of "constructive debriefings" to post:

"There's a fine line between being brave and adventurous and being stupid.

No one thing you decided to do was stupid, but when you compound them all you got what you had coming in my opinion. Let's enumerate your errors to date. "

Sorry man, but IMHO you may be the one that crossed the fine line onto the stupid side... ... your point that he could have done things differently is not the problem... but your delivery ("stupid", "got what you had coming", "enumerate your errors") was definitely out of line.

kta... Please finish your ride report, many here appreciate your living life to the fullest.

'12 Tiger 800 XC
'68 Tiger 650 TR6R
vdlcinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #86
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,394
Quote:
Wow, you must be a hoot at parties.

I wouldn't want to necessarily live kta's adventure, and obviously neither would you, but he did live it, and had the dumb luck to walk away and write about it. Do you think maybe he's learned some of the lessons you speak of from his experience? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe next time his lack of planning will kill him. But it is his adventure and many here still want to hear about it rather than dissect it and point out all of the stupid things he may or may not have done.

One of the reasons I'm intrigued is that he did do this on the bike he did it on. I get bored reading about some over equipped yahoo going on some over-planned pseudo-adventure where every possible contingency is planned for. I much prefer the ones like kta's. Remind me of some of my best trips.

There are lots of threads where the guy has GPS coordinates mapped out, paper maps, his spot, a brand new GS with everything from the touratech catalog mounted on it, along withe all the coolest gear from aerostitch , several similiar equipped friends along and enough money and credit cards to buy his way out of any predicament. You can have them. I'll take the guy crossing the world on a Ruckus and a smile anyday

I'm glad kta did it. And I'm glad he survived it. Now I'm ready to hear the rest of the story.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:50 AM   #87
kuyaoli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast
complete post
very well said.

So I also want to hear the rest of the story

kuyaoli screwed with this post 04-23-2009 at 03:50 AM
kuyaoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:27 AM   #88
stickfigure
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 510
Man oh man I cannot believe you took the route from San Isidro to San José Comondú solo! On a bike that you had to bumpstart, no less!!

I just got back from Baja with two other riders (RR forthcoming) and this stretch was the hardest part of the whole trip. It's nothing but huge grapefruit-sized rocks. We were warned, so we were prepared for hard going, but there is no way I would want to be out there without a bike in good condition, supplies, and some fellow bikers!

I'm sure kta (and anyone who has actually been on that road recently) knows this, but the direness of that situation should not be brushed aside. This RR could *very* easily have ended up another object lesson for all the rest of us. Nobody uses that road anymore so you won't be getting help from passersby. Many parts are fairly technical and there's nothing to fall on except very hard rock. Bump starting? Good luck!!

This is what he went through:

None of my group made it through without dropping a bike at least once.

Honestly, between trying to get through that route alone with a bike in that condition and playing russian roulette, I'm not sure which is safer.

Glad you made it back alive.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:14 AM   #89
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
I feel you both crofrog and Oregon coast ... I think Oregoncoast may be on to something that crofrog might not be the life of the party . However, as one who is often the life of the party I take comfort from the presence of stable guys like crofrog (hmmm ... even if this thing WERE to catch on fire I'm sure crofrog could put it out .... yeah ... let's do it!)

KTA your ride report was fantastic! I've been there, done that and would do it again. I do think crofrogs warning was good too though ... there are many "less experienced riders" who read these RR's and it should be pointed out that KTA's MO isn't particularly safe or advisable ... IT SURE IS ENERTAINING THOUGH!

Seriously though, I am really glad your ok ... that sounded like a pretty bleak situation!

Rick

Hey Stick!! What's you up to and where you at? I appreciated your RR and actually followed a bunch of your routes just a few weeks behind you. I "lived" at the KTM shop in Guadalajara for 2 weeks - just missed you when my FI went out.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #90
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
(hmmm ... even if this thing WERE to catch on fire I'm sure crofrog could put it out .... yeah ... let's do it!)
Yeah, I'm that guy... :)