damn good report....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #93
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdlcinc
Sorry man, but IMHO you may be the one that crossed the fine line onto the stupid side... ... your point that he could have done things differently is not the problem... but your delivery ("stupid", "got what you had coming", "enumerate your errors") was definitely out of line.
Constructive Critism:
criticism or advice that is useful and intended to help or improve something, often with an offer of possible solutions.

It doesn't mean it's all sunshine and flowers and "well you did the best you could and that's just going to have to be good enough."

Don't get me wrong I've throughly enjoyed KTA's misadventures, but the story just as easily at a few different points ended with Kta a missing person dead in the desert. Not because he was engaged in some grand adventure, or for circumstances outside of his control, but because he failed to plan or have any respect for the task he was undertaking or environment he was in.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #94
stickfigure
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl
Hey Stick!! What's you up to and where you at? I appreciated your RR and actually followed a bunch of your routes just a few weeks behind you. I "lived" at the KTM shop in Guadalajara for 2 weeks - just missed you when my FI went out.
Cool! I just got back from two weeks in Baja, doing some of the same roads that kta did. The story is starting here: How I Nearly Killed My Friends In Baja
Old 04-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #95
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Great story KTA. Glad you are OK. I love it when a trip turns into an epic, but only when looking back on it after you are out of the caca.
Good on ya.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #96
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
You lived my worst nightmare come true. How did you get out of there?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #97
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Forget all the backseat drivers, I wanna hear the rest of the story!

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:28 AM   #98
kta OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
….. I rolled around for a while and went through the normal physical inspection checklist for a crash (I crash a lot).

Once the pain subsided enough to move around I got to my feet and limped over to look at the rock.

The fork hit......

All the rocks on the right side of the road were on top of the rail before I came barreling through.

Some good luck hit when the broken metal shards in the dirt were just pieces of the clutch lever, I was worried about a cracked case.

Damage report – broken clutch lever, smashed electric controls, crushed odometer, bent handlebars, bent front rotor, bent front wheel, gas tank mounting bolts ripped from tank on right side, bent saddle bag brackets, broken headlight mounts.

I replaced the clutch lever with the spare, bent the rotor back to straight(ish) with a wrench, and adjusted the handlebars as best I could.

The engine was flooded, no doubt about that. The road was rocky and loose, I was limping and my knee was throbbing and stiff. This was going to be hard.

What ensued was a painful and exhausting combination of pushing, panting, resting, and cursing, but over the course of an hour and a mile I was able to get the bike started once again.

If only I knew where I was going. . . . I thought the crash would be the worst part of my day, but I was wrong.. . . .

Motorcycle Tours in Guatemala

kta screwed with this post 10-21-2009 at 09:58 AM
kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:39 AM   #99
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,478
DAMN! You could have been hit by a truck and done not as much damage as you did by dumping it in a rock garden!..damn
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #100
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,447
C'mon, quit draggin it out, we want the rest!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #101
kta OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
….. I was back in motion. I tried riding with my left leg hanging off the side of the bike, but the ground was too rough so I just had to deal with the pain of bending my knee and keeping my foot on the peg. I kept it slow. Mouth of flour, arms like noodles, tired and weary, but making progress.

Another hour later of winding all over the sun began to set. I passed a couple abandoned shacks and wished I would see someone so I could ask where to go. I eventually came to a T in the road, I chose to go east and head back out towards the highway. However, the road did not go east. The road wound up and down zig zagging back and forth. It was rutted and sandy. I crossed dried up river beds endlessly. In many places the trail split in several directions to maneuver around obstacles. This was difficult riding in any physical condition.

The trail suddenly turned sharply and headed straight back up into the steep mountains I had just come from. My jaw dropped as I realized I had just wasted the last half hour going down a dead end.

I noticed a shack off the path and drove down the driveway hoping there would be someone there. It was long abandoned and dilapidated. The ground was silt, thick deep silt, and keeping the bike moving was a chore. While turning around to head back towards the trail the bike stalled.

I flopped onto the ground. My head was dizzy with exhaustion and disappointment.

I laid in the silt for a few to regain enough strength to stand. I then walked the grounds of the shack looking for firm soil, but there was none to be had. There was however a short steep hill behind the property that dropped down into a rocky riverbed. I determined this was my only shot. It was so steep it had to work, right? I'd never get back out if it didn't.

I heaved the bike across the silt and sand over to the precipice. I then walked the 100 foot steep slope to clear out rocks and pick the best line. I gave the bike a few steps and dropped over the edge. In the middle of the drop I dumped the clutch . . . . the rear wheel dragged, the motor stayed locked, and the bike came to rest at the bottom. Shit.

Motorcycle Tours in Guatemala
kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #102
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by kta
.. the rear wheel dragged, the motor stayed locked, and the bike came to rest at the bottom. Shit.
I know that you were seriously screwed at that point......but that made me laugh none the less

Keep going. Loving the tale!
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #103
stickfigure
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 517
I can confidently say that I speak for everyone here:
Old 04-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #104
Buddy
n00b 4 life

Oddometer: 29
If you were not still writing I would say you were wandering around in the desert still... I want more!
Old 04-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #105
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty

Oddometer: 1,962
Dude! How are you not dead?

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote