Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #121
Amithai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
MJ , you do all that I want to...how your wife let you do it? Did she complain?
2011 BMW R1200GS Adventure

Amithai screwed with this post 03-28-2010 at 05:02 PM
Amithai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:59 PM   #122
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
MetalJockey

Re battery, that is the second battery you have had cause problems on a trip

Now this could be just the luck of the draw on battery life

On the other hand it may be an indication of a related problem which occurs with the F650GS Dakar, namely overheating and overcharging

On both occasions you had problems it was after riding in extreme heat and at low speed & the battery is a sealed / gel cell battery

When you delve into the tech / eng info on the different variations of sealed cell there are warnings that all these types of batteries dont take kindly to overheating & how they are more sensitive to this than conventional batteries the documentation mentions shorting of electrodes / plates

I have never looked at the location of the battery on your model of machine but I gather from your comments you need to remove the cowlings so I am assuming it is above/behind the motor.

A volt meter in the dash would assist in observing battery voltage to see if it rises during low speed / high temp condtions

Some form of "insulation" around the battery to stop "direct" heat from the engine getting to the battery may be a simple solution to take the edge off the heat reaching the battery

The location of the VReg on the F650 causes it to overheat & raise the O/P voltage & overcharge the battery, riders in Oz, SA and hotter US states report the need to constantly top up conventional batteries on the GS & I noticed some fitting sealed units to the GS reporting relatively frequent battery replacement

Not saying the above is the cause of your problems but perhaps worth considering since the failures have caused you a little grief with the longer trips into remote areas

WayneC1 screwed with this post 02-21-2010 at 12:10 AM
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote