ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
Eagleavn OP
EagleAvn

Oddometer: 111
Question New Idea/ TAT inspired

To all my Fellow Va. Riders,

Has anyone tried to plot a route from one side of Va. to the other without using pavement?

I am sure you all know about the Trans America Route and all that goes along with it. Why dont we as a collective group try the same idea. I know just from riding my local area that there is a lot of unexplored dirt roads/fire roads etc, etc. Who is up for the challenge? Could be a lot of fun.....

Eagleavn
2008 Honda CRF450X
Eagleavn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,663
Please show me your unexplored dirt and fire roads while we talk about it.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
SteveOnTheWay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Sounds good, got any maps or info yet?
SteveOnTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,499
Sounds like a good idea, but don't know if we can piece that much dirt together. Most of the dirt/gravel that I know about around my area always dead-ends on some farm.
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,475
Yes, that's been my experience, too. Too many water courses East of Richmond, and too many developments.

If dirt ways do exist, I am sure they are private, and may be defended!
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Eagleavn OP
EagleAvn

Question Big Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin injin
Sounds like a good idea, but don't know if we can piece that much dirt together. Most of the dirt/gravel that I know about around my area always dead-ends on some farm.

I dont think it will be easy.....how did the guy do the TAT?

Eagleavn
2008 Honda CRF450X
Old 04-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,475
Well, from what I understand, just about all of the TAT east of the Mississippi is paved now. The western portion is composed largely of publicly maintained dirt roads. Access isn't a problem.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:03 AM   #8
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,127
I'm with ya, I'll help you any way I can BUT:

At best, you can only hope to do this with 50% unpaved. I stress unpaved, not dirt, not single track, unpaved roads. But that is not such a bad thing, there is a lot to see and some fun pavement in the Old Dominion. As has been mentioned, the TAT East is falling to the wrath of the DOT.

I have over the past 5 years, put together a humble attempt across West Virginia. You can find it here. Of the true WV sections, over half is unpaved. I have had a lot of help, and now the routes extend to the NJ border. There is also a file for NJ available.

My time this year will be spent working on tying this to Jellico, the eastern start of the TAT, and hopefully make it to Helena. I tell you this because I spent a few months last year trying to get through a western section of Virginia and met with hard top and mine gates. Kentucky is my focus right now, and things are looking pretty good.

You need to get a set of VDOT county maps, the Forest Service MVUMs, City Nav, and look at google earth until your eyes bleed. I have links to all of that here.

Don't be discouraged after looking at all of that, the best finds are most often found while you are out there beating the bushes. Lay out a reasonable track and go scout it.

I'm with you on this, I may not have a lot of time to ride any of the sections this year, but this will take some time. Don't tease me on this, let's go, let's go, let's go.

O, Bluefield WV by the way, right on the Virginia border.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
Eagleavn OP
EagleAvn

Thumb Tat

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew
I'm with ya, I'll help you any way I can BUT:

At best, you can only hope to do this with 50% unpaved. I stress unpaved, not dirt, not single track, unpaved roads. But that is not such a bad thing, there is a lot to see and some fun pavement in the Old Dominion. As has been mentioned, the TAT East is falling to the wrath of the DOT.

I have over the past 5 years, put together a humble attempt across West Virginia. You can find it here. Of the true WV sections, over half is unpaved. I have had a lot of help, and now the routes extend to the NJ border. There is also a file for NJ available.

My time this year will be spent working on tying this to Jellico, the eastern start of the TAT, and hopefully make it to Helena. I tell you this because I spent a few months last year trying to get through a western section of Virginia and met with hard top and mine gates. Kentucky is my focus right now, and things are looking pretty good.

You need to get a set of VDOT county maps, the Forest Service MVUMs, City Nav, and look at google earth until your eyes bleed. I have links to all of that here.

Don't be discouraged after looking at all of that, the best finds are most often found while you are out there beating the bushes. Lay out a reasonable track and go scout it.

I'm with you on this, I may not have a lot of time to ride any of the sections this year, but this will take some time. Don't tease me on this, let's go, let's go, let's go.

O, Bluefield WV by the way, right on the Virginia border.

Rock on wild man......not teasing, just didnt know how to get started, now I do. When I get back to VA I will start looking for the maps you described.

The Eagle
2008 Honda CRF450X
Old 04-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleavn
When I get back to VA I will start looking

Let me know if you need any help at all. I think I will be limited to arm chair quarterbacking for this year, but I am a damn good one. I can, or can ask somebody to run some local routes if you meander this way. I have track logs and some local knowledge for most of the West Virginia border.

To quote Uncle Buck, " Keep an eye on your honey hole".

Old 04-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #11
MarkNC
Just Strom'in Along

Oddometer: 199
The area from north of Roanoke to Tazewell co is pretty easy. Lots of great forest service roads in Jefferson NF. There will be short sections of pavement between them but most of the roads up that way are great even paved.
Oh and Im originally from Bluefield VA myself
I could point you to some of them if you need any help just pm me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew
Let me know if you need any help at all. I think I will be limited to arm chair quarterbacking for this year, but I am a damn good one. I can, or can ask somebody to run some local routes if you meander this way. I have track logs and some local knowledge for most of the West Virginia border.

To quote Uncle Buck, " Keep an eye on your honey hole".
Old 04-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
code
advcurious

Oddometer: 560
have you checked out the gps tracks east, in the layin' down tracks section of this forum? There are several people working up similar routes across wv, pa, nj, and maryland. I've got most of maryland mapped as far as where gravel / dirt roads are located. And have a large portion of va, wv. and pa. mapped out as well.
As someone else mentioned, you're not going to have "TAT" style roads unless you ask local farmers for some kind of pass to use their access roads. When word gets out and you start releasing those spots to people on here or elsewhere you'll loose that access really quick. A lot of what you're going to run around here is going to be privately owned gravel roads, and at best the gravel gets worn to nothing early winter to mid spring before they dump a fresh batch, so it's close to riding packed dirt. Still fun, just not as "TAT" worthy as I think people hope for.
Running those roads from west to east, you'll definitely find the more rougher stuff west where you have the obvious fire roads, etc. leading through the Shenandoah park areas / skyline / blue ridge on up to harpers ferry area without crossing into wv. that is. The further east you go the harder it's going to be. In the end, you'll probably do just as someone else mentioned and make it 50/50, if you're lucky 60/40. Still fun to ride and a worthwhile thing to do, if you're willing to vest the time into doing it.?.

If you need some help, let me know and I'll send you the points I have for the va. area gravel road and dirt road locations. I've been working on maryland moreso then anywhere else, so don't expect too much from my current file stash. I have it as a mapsource file currently, pm me and let me know what you can use.
code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,264
Suggestion

I'd like to see tracks throughout VA, but it would be nice if people also posted some photo "exemplars" of the track to indicate what it is like or its high points. I'd rather do a 50-50 ride across VA where all the roads, dirt or paved, are scenic. 100% dirt for the sake of dirt would suck if it is just some dirt frontage road along the highway.

If people posted pics of their tracks, you could select your own route based upon what you like.

Based upon some of the pictures of the eastern TAT I have seen, I'd just assume skip some ugly dirt portions in exchange nice backroads.

Just my $.02
Old 04-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters
but it would be nice if you

fixt

Old 04-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,264
I'll certainly follow my own recommendation. I wasn't trying to criticize the extensive work others have done. Just suggesting a format that some might find useful.

Now, if I could just remember to take my camera . . .