ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,613
Motorcycle travel and camping clinic April 4th at REI in Atlanta...

Thought I'd bring this to y'alls attention... came across it on another board...

First one to tell me REI is out to kill motorcyclists' rights is gonna be challenged to show specific evidence and proof.

http://www.rei.com/stores/store_even...ignore_cache=1

Motorcycle Touring

4/4/2009 2:00 PM

We will discuss ultralight gear for cross-country
motorcycle touring from sleeping bags and tents to quick dry clothing. Emphasis will also be on low impact, Leave No Trace camping. Enjoy an afternoon with fellow motorcyclists and leave with some great ideas for you next ride!
  • Cost: Free
  • Registration Required? Yes. Customer Service 770.901.9200
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 406
Very cool--thanks for posting! Their clinics can be really good, based on the ones that I've seen.
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,479
rei pours money to the greenies and they (the greenies) are against any motorcycle related riding areas period!!! you know this as fact so no need for me to bring evidence!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Dags
I'm not British

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates
rei pours money to the greenies and they (the greenies) are against any motorcycle related riding areas period!!! you know this as fact so no need for me to bring evidence!
I think you need to bring evidence. I'm a greenie and a motorcyclist
Dags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dags

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
Old 04-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
arkangel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Rei

I think a company like REI would be stupid NOT to help the "greenies." I also think they would be stupid not to support motorcyclists. I am sure we make up some small percentage of their customer base :P
arkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dags
you're not a greenie you just conserve soil by not washing your pos bike.
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
mhaas
intrpd travlrwanabe

Oddometer: 184
Wink will miss it

Too bad I'll miss it. I'll be busy Low impact camping at Road Atlanta for SBKs.
mhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkangel
I think a company like REI would be stupid NOT to help the "greenies." I also think they would be stupid not to support motorcyclists. I am sure we make up some small percentage of their customer base :P

they (rei) do claim to support motorcyclists , but they do not donate anything to our organations but they do make big contrubtions to all the greenie groups that are fighting the ama and other groups to close ohv areas!!! they give them money not to directly fight us but that is what the groups do!!!

rei is not a friend to the motorcyclist!!!

see it how you like and i will see it how i do

and as the green groups continue to have money and the power to close our riding areas!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
bluebye
Skin it back

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaas
Too bad I'll miss it. I'll be busy Low impact camping at Road Atlanta for SBKs.
Enjoy it! But it is not SBK'S it's glorified superstock specs from last year.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #11
Dags
I'm not British

Oddometer: 1,240
If we had no groups fighting for the protection of natural resources there would be even less places to go riding. We are all trying to gain access to an ever decreasing resource. The main driver of this problem is the over population of the planet - the worlds population has doubled since 1965
Dags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #12
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates
rei is not a friend to the DIRT motorcyclist!!!
Fixed. I'm guessing their stance toward street riding/camping is favorable, but the dirt riders are probably looked at as malcontents who want to destroy the planet. Spend some time in JM and you'll see a large percentage of inmates are street posers who never venture further offroad than a gravel driveway. Gnarly adventurers my ass. I'm all for balance and land stewardship, but the environazi movement has gotten out of control in recent years.

edit: Dags is right. We need to stop the baby making nonsense. It has gotten out of hand. When the human population exceeds the design limits of the planet we're all fooked.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
posers who never venture further offroad than a gravel driveway.

gravel driveways

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
Fixed. I'm guessing their stance toward street riding/camping is favorable, but the dirt riders are probably looked at as malcontents who want to destroy the planet. Spend some time in JM and you'll see a large percentage of inmates are street posers who never venture further offroad than a gravel driveway. Gnarly adventurers my ass. I'm all for balance and land stewardship, but the environazi movement has gotten out of control in recent years.

edit: Dags is right. We need to stop the baby making nonsense. It has gotten out of hand. When the human population exceeds the design limits of the planet we're all fooked.
Like this....

I remember seeing a Tiger in Tx......
Old 04-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #15
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper
Like this....blah, blah, blah

I remember seeing a Tiger in Tx......
You saw correctly. I rode it down this. Krautbikeman followed on his GSPD. The other guys were on thumpers, except Redone on the HP2.

Nice stepup. Too bad these were the only pics of this gnarly section.

I ain't braggin' but suffice it to say a noob on a big bike would've had some serious problems on Black Gap "Road". Remember that "4 Wheel Drive Vehicles Only" sign? You did ride Black Gap on that trailered LC4, right? Just sayin' I'm glad the guys that went with us that day knew what they were doing.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote