ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #16
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeHard
Most LEO's I have talked to are primarily interested in that you have a motorcycle operators license, insurance, current plate, and registration. Anything else wether it be a full on dirt bike or street bike is up to the individual officer and his mood at the time wether to cite you for any other infractions regarding not being "street legal".

careful on this one... depending on jurisdiction. the officers mood will have less to do with it than you might think(it shouldnt have anything to do with it, and truthfully around here it really doesnt)

dirt bikes on the street send alot of folks clamoring to the local city council and police for action... sometimes i think they want the riders shot off their bikes , and officers do what their city fathers tell them to do, which in some cases, results in special attention paid to particular violations.

(the ghist is that we have had problems with dirt bikes riding in neighborhoods, and as such, even a cop in "a good mood" will write the violation here)

ymmv
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
RodeHard
CSM Sheepleherder

Oddometer: 5,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter
(the ghist is that we have had problems with dirt bikes riding in neighborhoods, and as such, even a cop in "a good mood" will write the violation here)
That sucks... most cops here in the NW Valley of Phoenix are pretty laid back as long as you aren't doing something stupid. Same goes for the G&F, and BLM LEO's. As long as it looks like you are trying to comply, they pretty much leave you alone.
RodeHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #18
Rick Lee OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
Ok, I have a few prospective dirt bikes that are or can be made street legal. But they're all older than five years. How the hell to get them through emissions?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #19
rattlecan
Caffeine Driven

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee
Ok, I have a few prospective dirt bikes that are or can be made street legal. But they're all older than five years. How the hell to get them through emissions?
Register it in Prescott or some other outlying city without emmisson requirements.
or give it a good tune so it will pass.
rattlecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
Rick Lee OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
But I don't live in Prescott and don't know anyone there. What kind of tuning or adjustments would it take to get through emissions?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #21
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
But I don't live in Prescott and don't know anyone there. What kind of tuning or adjustments would it take to get through emissions?
The exhaust is only tested at idle and not particularly strict. IIRC, you get two tries to pass emissions before you get charged extra. Try getting them tested without any tuning, if they fail, lean out the idle mixture screw in the parking lot and try again
wallache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #22
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,248
I found the most helpful and lest likely to find 10 reasons why can't do something type of people are found at the contract DMV places. You pay an extra convenience fee, but they are there to help, not tell you "no."

I walked in with title, signed affidavit paid money and walked out with a MC license plate for an XR250R.

Easy peasy.

Now, if you want to sleep at night, not worrying about what the mean NFS LEO is going to do to you when he stops you on a Forest Service road and runs you through the ringer... that's a whole new story.

Lights... check.
Horn... check.
Signals... check.
MC endorsement... check.
Insurance... check.

Thank-you.

... just a minute before you go, let me look at your tires.

I'm sorry that front tire isn't DOT approved, I'm going to have to cite you for that.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #23
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
Hey guys... I was wondering if anybody knows if it would be possible to street plate a new/newer trials bike in AZ. Non emissions area.

From what I have read in the thread it should be possible with a horn, headlamp, mirror, MSO? I hear AZ is getting more like CA so is it possible?

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #24
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
Hey guys... I was wondering if anybody knows if it would be possible to street plate a new/newer trials bike in AZ. Non emissions area.

From what I have read in the thread it should be possible with a horn, headlamp, mirror, MSO? I hear AZ is getting more like CA so is it possible?

See Here.

Really, it's easy. With an MSO you're going to pay sales tax.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #25
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
Thanks Biguns!

BTW, what is a better deal 1 year registration of 2 year? Is there a difference?

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #26
Kapp555
Better to be Offroad!

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
As someone who just failed and then passed emissions I will tell you how to do it. You get one retry for your 19.00 bucks. First thing is make sure you have high octane gas, the highest u can get. Next run your bike as lean as possible while still idling. i.e. turn the a/f screw in as far as u can right before you go into the test. For me it was necessary to remove my air filter. Your air filter even if new on some bike can make the difference. Have a clean air filter. Sometimes a fresh oil change helps. make sure the valves are adjusted properly.

With these things done u should pass. Now, there is on more trick that can be used if all else fails. Go to ace/lowes/ Home depot etc and get a can of denatured alcohol and run it in with your gas. It lowers emissions big time.

My initial run was almost a 9.0 on Co2. the pass is a 5.00. I did all of the above and then passed with a .6 on the next run and my hydrocarbons were very low as well. flushed my tank, ran new good gas through it, retuned it some and im street legal.
Kapp555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #27
Kapp555
Better to be Offroad!

Oddometer: 671
Oh and from what i read they are supposed to stop motorcycle emissions testing in July 2010 as long as the EPA doesnt insist Maricopa continue. Maricopa county is the only county in the USA that tests motorcycles.
Kapp555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #28
Speaker
What's an estart?

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns
Lights... check.
Horn... check.
Signals... check.
MC endorsement... check.
Insurance... check.

Thank-you.

... just a minute before you go, let me look at your tires.

I'm sorry that front tire isn't DOT approved, I'm going to have to cite you for that.
There is no Arizona statute that requires a motor driven cycle to have operable turn signals, or DOT approved tires.

As others have stated, a motor driven cycle is required to have a headlight, a tail light/brake light, a horn, and a mirror. There is no definition of "horn" in the AZ statutes, so a bike horn is technically legal (I ran one for two years). There is also no stipulation on what the operator must be able to view out of the mirror. Stick one of those wide angle mirrors onto the backside of your handguards.
Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #29
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker
There is no Arizona statute that requires a motor driven cycle to have operable turn signals, or DOT approved tires.
You can get a license plate without anything.

However, when you're stopped you're at the mercy of the officer that's deciding whether you meet all the requirements. I've heard good things and bad. I've never experienced it first hand. Yes, you can always fight it, but is it worth the effort?

I don't install turn signals when I dual sport a bike, but many do, at great expense. I do use DOT tires because the tires I like happen to be DOT, are reasonably priced and feel good on the pavement as well as the dirt.

My previous post was a reference to a story I heard regarding a family that had dual sported their quads (four of them). They had done EVERYTHING except for DOT tires. They got stopped by a NFS LEO on horizontally numbered road and got the detailed inspection. Even though they did almost everything right, they got hammered for a minor detail... four times.

Point is... the rules aren't black and white. You're at the mercy of the LEO that stops you. You may be able to fight it, but it's going to take time, money and effort. It's easier to do it right (or the very best you can) the first time.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #30
Trigxrr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I have a 2000 xr650r that was plated and rode in Ca for years , I bought it and got it back to Az , Transferred everything over and then comes the problem , My insurance company ( Dairyland / AJS ) doesnt want to insure it for street because the vin # says its a dirt bike , I m guessing they dont insure dirt bikes ??

Now I am fighting with them about insuring it .. Have 5 bikes insured with them and have had no clams or tickets ect ect in 10+ yrs

Trigxrr screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 03:44 PM
Trigxrr is offline   Reply With Quote