Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2014, 07:27 AM   #5746
crt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparqq View Post
next week I will be on Lombok and I want to rent a 690 enduro or a 990 adventure. Does some know a shop that is renting this bikes? Or another shop that rents big dirt bikes?

I look forward to get some contact details in advance. BTW I have my international driving licence for big motorbikes.
I don't have any info about rent a bike in Mataram
but i'm sure enough that will be hard to find a BIG BIKE

Maybe you should go to Bali first, i had read some news that Ducati and Husqvarna dealer allowed to rent a bike daily (but sorry i don't have any further infos about that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT953 View Post
I rode through Indonesia from Timor to Sumatra last year and dearly wanted to go to Sulawesi but was running out of time. Now you have me wanting to retrace my route from Thailand back to Indonesia to go to the places I missed out on.
Thanks for posting and inspiring me to return.
Don't forget to report
I'm envy to all of you, that can ride thru several country
crt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #5747
WillieKing
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by h17 View Post
list of ADV Riders Indonesia:
1.H17 - Jakarta
2.Pandawa - Jakarta
3.Kucung - Jakarta
4.T-Redz - Jakarta

please continue.....

5.Willie King
WillieKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #5748
Jsparks
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Talking Banyuwangi multi-day rental?

Hi all, I'm headed with my girlfriend to Indonesia next month, and I'm hoping to do a self-tour of Ijen and Bromo after taking the ferry over to Java from Bali. I'd like to rent a bike in Banyuwangi for 3 days or so to do a large loop (Banyuwangi -> Ijen -> Bondowoso -> Probolinggo -> Bromo -> Probolinggo -> Bondowoso -> Banyuwangi [via the 3]). Does this sound possible? Any advice for finding a solid bike in Banyuwangi? Thanks for any advice you can offer! Cheers!
Jsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #5749
blek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by crt View Post
I don't have any info about rent a bike in Mataram
but i'm sure enough that will be hard to find a BIG BIKE

Maybe you should go to Bali first, i had read some news that Ducati and Husqvarna dealer allowed to rent a bike daily (but sorry i don't have any further infos about that)
Confirmed. No such big bikes rental in Mataram. Consider renting a Megapro or Tiger series from Honda lineup. Those bikes are considered big in Indonesia.

I am really sorry for not gonna be able to offer any help around West Nusa Tenggara right now, since I have some works to do on the capital city, Jakarta.

blek screwed with this post 02-08-2014 at 04:37 PM
blek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #5750
Tyyson
n00b

More info

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike cummins View Post
Based on my experience with a hp2 enduro in indo, I would say a small bike with a big tank and soft seat would be ideal. I reckon a honda xr 400 or dr 400 suzuki with waterproof soft panniers would be idea. Added to that some k60 70/30 off road tyres and 20 litre tank and it would be ideal.
Mike, I have been lurking for a while and came across your comment. i am going to be moving to Indonesia this summer and I have been searching for what bike i will bring with to be able to get around and handle any kind of terrain. I had just about settled on the BMW HP2 and your comment has me a bit shaken. you wouldnt recommend the HP2 for getting around? you would have preferred something else? please explain.

and i would like to put the question out to the community? do you all think the HP2 is too much bike and too big for Surabaya? HELP!!!
Tyyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #5751
blek
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsparks View Post
Hi all, I'm headed with my girlfriend to Indonesia next month, and I'm hoping to do a self-tour of Ijen and Bromo after taking the ferry over to Java from Bali. I'd like to rent a bike in Banyuwangi for 3 days or so to do a large loop (Banyuwangi -> Ijen -> Bondowoso -> Probolinggo -> Bromo -> Probolinggo -> Bondowoso -> Banyuwangi [via the 3]). Does this sound possible? Any advice for finding a solid bike in Banyuwangi? Thanks for any advice you can offer! Cheers!
There are lots of motorbike rentals in Banyuwangi. The price will be around 300k for one day. You need to leave your passport only. It will be around 10 days for complete sightseeing within the big loops. Too much things to miss if it is just 3 days, since, practically, you sleep half day for each and that means only one and half day for sightseeing withing 3 days.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #5752
blek
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyyson View Post
Mike, I have been lurking for a while and came across your comment. i am going to be moving to Indonesia this summer and I have been searching for what bike i will bring with to be able to get around and handle any kind of terrain. I had just about settled on the BMW HP2 and your comment has me a bit shaken. you wouldnt recommend the HP2 for getting around? you would have preferred something else? please explain.

and i would like to put the question out to the community? do you all think the HP2 is too much bike and too big for Surabaya? HELP!!!
Too big. Consider buying Honda Verza. It can handle any terrains and using carburettor system, not the computerized injection system, so practiaclly, you can easily fix it on your own without rellying too much on Honda's dealer. Also, plenty of cannibalized spare parts lying across Indonesia so if somehow you busted one or two parts, you can just easily get one. Even from your neighbour. The engine share same parts with Tiger, GL series, Megapro series, or should I said, any sport motorcycle series in Indonesia. And best of all, it is the cheapest manly look motorcycle that you can get.

Also, if you need to do some modification later, like putting brackets, box, or whatever, Surabaya is the city of crazy mechanics and welders. You even can turn Verza into chopper style motorcycle with 500$.

But if you want a big mean look, go for Yamaha Byson, then change it's handle bar with jap style bar, put on some big, round headlight, and repaint the gas tank it with satanic motif on local airbrush shops. There you go.

Now if you care less about looks, then FIND A SECOND HAND HONDA WIN100. It wont let you down.

Don't believe me on this one. Go ask those Vietnam riders.

blek screwed with this post 02-08-2014 at 02:59 PM Reason: Adding more info
Old 02-08-2014, 11:45 PM   #5753
Tyyson
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike cummins View Post
Based on my experience with a hp2 enduro in indo, I would say a small bike with a big tank and soft seat would be ideal. I reckon a honda xr 400 or dr 400 suzuki with waterproof soft panniers would be idea. Added to that some k60 70/30 off road tyres and 20 litre tank and it would be ideal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blek View Post
Too big. Consider buying Honda Verza. It can handle any terrains and using carburettor system, not the computerized injection system, so practiaclly, you can easily fix it on your own without rellying too much on Honda's dealer. Also, plenty of cannibalized spare parts lying across Indonesia so if somehow you busted one or two parts, you can just easily get one. Even from your neighbour. The engine share same parts with Tiger, GL series, Megapro series, or should I said, any sport motorcycle series in Indonesia. And best of all, it is the cheapest manly look motorcycle that you can get.

Also, if you need to do some modification later, like putting brackets, box, or whatever, Surabaya is the city of crazy mechanics and welders. You even can turn Verza into chopper style motorcycle with 500$.

But if you want a big mean look, go for Yamaha Byson, then change it's handle bar with jap style bar, put on some big, round headlight, and repaint the gas tank it with satanic motif on local airbrush shops. There you go.

Now if you care less about looks, then FIND A SECOND HAND HONDA WIN100. It wont let you down.

Don't believe me on this one. Go ask those Vietnam riders.
Wow...really?!? I am 6'1" and about 230 lbs....and my girl is about 5'9" 150...,do u think these options would work with 2 up riding? I really appreciate the feedback...I'm just afraid of being on something which could be too small.....
Old 02-09-2014, 03:34 AM   #5754
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Tyyson,

The HP2 would not be a too much bike here. You'll be fine on it.. or on any other big bike here.

I commute everyday on a Ducati Monster or a Husky TE630 and I never have any kind of problem riding either one of those bikes in Jakarta traffic... or in other places in Java when I do long ride. I commute on big bikes the past 12 years (R1150RT, HD Sportster and now Ducati Monster and Husky TE 630) ... and I never have any kind of problem riding the bikes and commuting on those bikes.

So, I think you'll be fine on an HP2.

One thing though, after years of commuting on air cooled bikes in the terrible traffic here, I think a liquid cooled bike will be better for the traffic condition in Jakarta.

The TE630 is my first liquid cooled bike, and I never worry about the engine temp when commuting...OTOH when I ride my Monster I constantly watch the oil temperature indicator whenever I get caught in heavy traffic jam.

edit: I forgot this. A bike without a windshield (a naked bike) will be much more comfortable to ride in this climate and traffic, than one with a windshield. One thing I didn't like about the R1150RT is the windshield. It made riding really hot and uncomfortable. To me it felt like wearing a full riding gear and standing still under the sun at noon.

BobPS screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 04:04 AM
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #5755
Tyyson
n00b

Laugh so should i bring or buy there?

thanks for the responses and the info. how is the big bike market over there? i tried looking online to see if there are shops which have posted their inventories online but no luck so far.
The JK traffic is legendary! i am hoping that the traffic in Surabaya will be way better so I shouldnt have to worry as much about sitting in traffic!*.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:32 AM   #5756
crt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Wow...really?!? I am 6'1" and about 230 lbs....and my girl is about 5'9" 150...,do u think these options would work with 2 up riding? I really appreciate the feedback...I'm just afraid of being on something which could be too small.....

With that size, no LOCAL BIKE can match for you two (even Ninja 250 still not enough)
Please BRING YOUR WEAPON
anyway where you want to go ride ?
crt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #5757
Tyyson
n00b

well, that is why i keep looking at bigger bikes....we just need something with enough go-go-go to get us around!! with that said, our plan is to just see the country...it will depend on the roads. in the ideal world, we will get just about all the way around. i scrolled through the pics in this string to check the roads and they look pretty good. away from jakarta traffic, there should room to run around but i dont want to be confined to paved roads, thats why i am thinking dual sport.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #5758
Jsparks
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Blek, thanks for your response. It's very reassuring to know we'll be able to find something. Unfortunately, we've only got 3-4 days maximum for this section of the trip, so iron butt and big sights only. Just riding around a couple volcanoes is epic enough for me!

Cheers!
Jsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #5759
Sparqq
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I would certainly go for a big bike, you need some power when you go up the mountains to feel the fun. And you need good brakes and engine braking when you go down with all that weight.
Sparqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #5760
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
thanks for the responses and the info. how is the big bike market over there? i tried looking online to see if there are shops which have posted their inventories online but no luck so far.
The JK traffic is legendary! i am hoping that the traffic in Surabaya will be way better so I shouldnt have to worry as much about sitting in traffic!*.
Here big bike, new or used, is more expensive than in the US for instance. Maybe as mush as twice the price ... and this year the government just increased the import duty for luxurious vehicles (motorcycles with engine displacement of 600 cc or bigger, falls into this category) from 75% to 125%. On top of that you’ll also have to pay other taxes like VAT and luxury tax.

If you’re going to buy a new bike, the brands that are available here, the ones that can be registered hence street legal and have dealerships here are: HD, Ducati, BMW, Husky, KTM, Triumph and Kawasaki.

If it’s a dual sport bike that you want, then your choices are BMW (they have Sertao, big GSs and 700/800GSs) Triumph (Tiger 800xc and explorer), KTM (990 and 1190, they don’t have 690 enduro) and Kawasaki (Versys 650... I was told that KLR is coming but they told me that July last year and haven’t seen one here). Husky dealer, last time I was there, have one TR650 left, maybe it’s already sold now. For a foreigner to buy a new bike, he must have a temporary residency permit. That way the bike can be registered under his name.

Alternatively, you can buy a used bike. I believe the price will still be higher than used bike price in the US or other countries. If you go this route, make sure that you buy the one that is registered and street legal. That simply means the bike was not smuggled into the country, it was properly imported and registered with the DMV. It must have proper registration paper (STNK) and vehicle ownership book (BPKB). Stay away from illegal bike.

Of course you can still buy and ride illegal bike. We call it “motor bodong” which means bike with no papers. They’re smuggled in to the country. They’re much cheaper than the legal ones, maybe the same price as the price in the US … but if you’re unfortunate enough to be stopped by the police and asked for your paper, you might be in trouble. Most likely your bike will be impounded and you’ll have to pay hefty fine… no, not a fine, but a bribe… to release it. That is if you can release it. There’s also a chance (however slim it is) that you may be charged with possession of illegal goods.
I personally will not buy an illegal bike.

I don't know how long you're going to stay here, but if it's going to be a while (more than 6 months), if it was me, I would buy a used bike here and sell it when I go home.
Hope this helps.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote