Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
Helios OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Weapon storage....

Ok here is a new one...
A friend and I are going to take a 3500 mile trip in May, we are going to travel from Boise ID to Canada, follow the coast down to Mexico and then return to Boise. We are looking to cross into Canada, but they do not allow hand guns in Canada. I know that the simple answer is not to carry but on a long trip like this one, staying in KOA's and cheap Motels and after all the weapons training I have taken, I feel it would be unwize not to be armed. (Its a crazy world out there...) I have a permit that covers some states but that is not the issue as I am not going to carry on my person, I will just keep it locked in my Jesse bags.
So the real question is where can we store our weapons while we do a quick trip into Canada and back, other than a Bus station locker or somthing...

fire away...lol!

~ Thomas Jefferson

2010 KTM 990 ADV
2003 YAMAHA WR450F
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios
Ok here is a new one...
A friend and I are going to take a 3500 mile trip in May, we are going to travel from Boise ID to Canada, follow the coast down to Mexico and then return to Boise. We are looking to cross into Canada, but they do not allow hand guns in Canada. I know that the simple answer is not to carry but on a long trip like this one, staying in KOA's and cheap Motels and after all the weapons training I have taken, I feel it would be unwize not to be armed. (Its a crazy world out there...) I have a permit that covers some states but that is not the issue as I am not going to carry on my person, I will just keep it locked in my Jesse bags.
So the real question is where can we store our weapons while we do a quick trip into Canada and back, other than a Bus station locker or somthing...

fire away...lol!
This is going to get moved for sure, but a good question nevertheless. I've thought of the problem more than once and have taken my chances in the States, but unwise, leaving the country.

I replied only so I'm part of the thread and will be notified as such. Sorry, no answer(s). I agree with you, am also CCW and try to keep my States where there's reciprociity. Hard to do sometimes.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Litre
AKA JimiChanga

Oddometer: 412
Not sure about the Canada thing. We were going to travel through NV last year (from Boise). It was strange because specifically in the LV area, handgun laws are very strict. I called the police department and a detective told me that if we had the weapon separate from the magazine/ammo, we'd be fine. I think in the U.S. for the states that have more stringent laws, this is perfectly acceptable.

We're taking a trip from Boise to Colorado Springs in May and have happily found out that our CWLs are reciprocated the entire route we're taking.

Good luck on your trip! DO RESEARCH! Last thing you want is to end up in the slammer, or to have your piece taken from you.

- 2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure: Mine
- 2003 BMW F650GS: Hers
Litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
I was under the impression that you could get an Authorization to Transport so long as you did not intend to use the weapon for hunting or self-defense. You should check the law carefully. I know it is draconian, but I think it is possible to transport your weapons with the proper paperwork so long as they are not prohibited i.e. barrel length less than 4" or .25 or .32 caliber.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
fuats
...and for other purposes

Oddometer: 6,345
Last I heard Federal Law trumps State Law (Which bugs me, but take whatever advantage you can get, right?) when it comes to "firearms in transit" through states that do not allow them...provided you are legal in your state of departure and destination. However, getting the state to believe that when you're pulled over may be problematic at best. I just research the rules of each state I'm going through, and make Litre make calls to the police on ones that are unclear. Up in the NW, it's pretty easy. But, like he said, that Clark County thing needed us to change our carry style, but we weren't staying there anyways.

We did hatch a plan to take apart the three pistols and have one person carry the slides, one person carry the frames, and the other person carry the magazines. That way, if pulled over in areas that prohibited weapons, we could easily show that we only had parts and could not assemble a weapon out of what we had unless we were MacGuyver, or something.

For time in Canada, I'm not sure. Certainly do not take them across the border. I hate saying that, but Canada's laws are their laws. Easiest solution to that conundrum, if you really do NOT want to be without is to not go to Canada. You might look for a gun store (especially if transitioning to Canada from ID or MT) in a nearby town and see if they'll keep your pistols locked up for a couple days while you go fart about in the Great White North. I think bank safe-deposit boxes might work too, but I thought I heard somewhere that it's against the law to store firearms, explosives, ammo and live children in them.

Like Litre said, research everything, and if possible, get it in writing, or have an officer's name to reference in case you get pulled over by someone that has a different view of the law. What things I know are a year old, and only covered ID, NV, UT, AZ, WY, CO, and MT.

(I also wonder when this will get moved. I expect you'll have to get most of your answers at the "Will-Call" Window in the basement. See you in CS&M!)
fuats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
hand guns/canada

I've lived in BC and travel there most summers -- do NOT get caught with a undeclared handgun up there.....your stateside permits mean nothing. Ship the gun to a general delivery address at your re-entry point if you are really concerned about your personal safety at KOA campgrounds and the like...or maybe do some research as to where crime in America takes place and realized you ain't goin' there. Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,372
Shoot everybody you see before they have chance to draw down on you.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
Just_Jake
You lookin' at me...?

Oddometer: 389
I'm going to be having the same issues when I ride to Vancouver Island later this year. I have some contacts at Vancouver PD and with the Mounties. I plan on calling them and asking for advice. I'm certain they'll recommend I don't carry.

Depending on the law, I may trash my ammo at the boarder, secure my pistol with a lock and lock it in a bag. I'm hoping I can get some kind of permission to transport, as was mentioned in a post above.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
USA_MEDIC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Had some friends travel up there a few years ago. I believe they got a permit to carry their handgun with them, since they were on their bikes and camping their way to alaska. Just get all paperwork early
Former Caponord Owner
Former XR650L Owner
Former XR250L Owner
USA_MEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
staying in KOA's and cheap Motels and after all the weapons training I have taken, I feel it would be unwize not to be armed. (Its a crazy world out there...)
I've stayed in plenty of KOAs and cheap motels and never felt the slightest need for a weapon (despite a fair bit of weapons training). Why not just leave the weapon at home and use common sense to keep out of trouble? From my experience it really works well.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter
Why not just leave the weapon at home and use common sense to keep out of trouble? From my experience it really works well.
The thread lasted pretty long before this kind of reply. Are we to presume that owning/carrying/using handguns is now permitted? Not to provoke, but indeed the world is not as safe as we would like and I am quite sure that common sense can indeed help; but an even better response might have been, don't leave at all. But then again, there are home break-ins/robberies/vandalism, yup, and even murders...and in some doggone nice neighborhoods!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #12
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,328
Personally, I think y'all should do the due diligence and try whatever you want...and report back what your findings are for future reference. It's part of the adventure.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,302
I think this is a silly thread but feel compelled after just getting back from what the State Department has deemed unsafe; Baja. 3300 miles and no banditos, mordida, or even so much as a threat to our personal safety.

What the hell do you need a gun for? Personal safety so you say. I don't care how much "training" you've had, if the damn thing is disassembled, unloaded, etc, just exactly what good does it do you? "Oh wait mr. burglar, bear, random alien from outer space, who is attacking me, while I put together and load my generally speaking illegal weapon." Just plain dumb. You'll have more stress worrying about getting caught with it than being in a situation that warrants its use.

Worry about your trip and practical things like water, food, and gas. If you are that paranoid then I think you'd be better off staying at home and barricading yourself in against would-be attackers like the mailman.

I really can't comprehend the desire or belief for a need to carry some sort of gun when you travel. After this gets moved to the basement and the flame wars begin and my equally worthless response forgotten, I'll still think guns are dumb, and you'll still be paranoid, but perhaps some logic will shine through. And no, I'm not a gun hating liberal hippie, I just think that you are more of a pansy for feeling the need to have one than preparing correctly such that you won't need one.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #14
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally
I think this is a silly thread but feel compelled after just getting back from what the State Department has deemed unsafe; Baja. 3300 miles and no banditos, mordida, or even so much as a threat to our personal safety.

What the hell do you need a gun for? Personal safety so you say. I don't care how much "training" you've had, if the damn thing is disassembled, unloaded, etc, just exactly what good does it do you? "Oh wait mr. burglar, bear, random alien from outer space, who is attacking me, while I put together and load my generally speaking illegal weapon." Just plain dumb. You'll have more stress worrying about getting caught with it than being in a situation that warrants its use.

Worry about your trip and practical things like water, food, and gas. If you are that paranoid then I think you'd be better off staying at home and barricading yourself in against would-be attackers like the mailman.

I really can't comprehend the desire or belief for a need to carry some sort of gun when you travel. After this gets moved to the basement and the flame wars begin and my equally worthless response forgotten, I'll still think guns are dumb, and you'll still be paranoid, but perhaps some logic will shine through. And no, I'm not a gun hating liberal hippie, I just think that you are more of a pansy for feeling the need to have one than preparing correctly such that you won't need one.
Yeah, but you're nine feet tall. What about all the insecure, out of shape, short, bald middle aged white guys? We're the real victims.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
Litre
AKA JimiChanga

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally

If he wanted your opinion on the subject, I think he would have asked . He is seeking advice on how to properly carry through the areas that he's going through. He's trying to follow the law of the land. Why can't we leave the opinions regarding carrying/traveling with handguns on the sidelines and do our best to answer his question?

- 2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure: Mine
- 2003 BMW F650GS: Hers
Litre is offline   Reply With Quote