Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #151
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog
And of course you can only use the mags that came with the gun

You can defiantly still get the 10rd mags if you wanted to, and pretty cheap last time I checked.
Agreed, when I bought my gun I actually purchased 8 10 round magazines, for 5.00 each.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #152
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak
you can stick it in a box and send it as bearing assemblies, but it ain't legal if the frame is in there, the frame being the "firearm" in the eyes of the feds.

TITLE 27--ALCOHOL, TOBACCO PRODUCTS, AND FIREARMS

CHAPTER II--BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, AND EXPLOSIVES,
DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE

PART 478_COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION--Table of Contents

Subpart C_Administrative and Miscellaneous Provisions

Sec. 478.30 Out-of-State disposition of firearms by nonlicensees.

No nonlicensee shall transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or
deliver any firearm to any other nonlicensee, who the transferor knows
or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person
is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of
business in) the State in which the transferor resides.

inter-state shipping of firearms is tricky, but I believe that this will clear it up ...

it IS legal to ship to yourself, care of another person, so MY BAD

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b10

Shipping it in a non-firing state does nothing for the goverements standpoint but it does for UPS's policy it's cheaper to ship non-firing versus assembled and working
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #153
scottdc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Canada Transport

When my wife and I moved from Washington to Alaska in 2001 we looked into transporting our firearms through Canada and what we were told by their customs folks was even if we filled out all the paperwork and it was approved it was still up to the discretion of whomever we talked to at the border. In other words you can have everything in order and they can still say no.

scottdc screwed with this post 05-01-2009 at 11:11 PM
scottdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #154
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Guns into Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdc
When my wife and I moved from Washington to Alaska in 2001 we looked into transporting our firearms through Canada and what we were told by their customs folks was even if we filled out all the paperwork and it was approved it was still up to the discretion of whomever we talked to at the border. In other words you can have everything in order and they can still say no.
What he says above...

I was told NO, so had to "take them back to the US". The local supermarket in Washington state had a gun storage locker for $10 and would hold the firearms until my return. Not a bad deal... even with filling out his release from damage or theft form.

Take your camp axe in plain sight, with it's cover in place.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #155
lopaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Question Was For Suggestions on Storage

We travelled to Alaska through Canada this past summer. As an aside it was the best trip we have ever made on the bikes. We went over the issue of carring through canada and just decided to take bear spray instead - it can be used on bad guys as well and made our lives so much easier in not having to worry about the whole gun issue, even though our preference would be to have had something available. Bear spray just made our lives easy, luckily we did not need to use it on bear or any bad guys.

That being said, you were looking for ideas on storage. I would think that the most obvious is a lockable compartment. I would not recommend riding while carrying under your clothing in any form. I think that would just be asking for trouble considering all the different municipalities you will be riding through.

whatever you decide, you will have a great trip. Do yourself a favor and ride down to Homer. You won't regret it.
lopaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #156
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopaca
We travelled to Alaska through Canada this past summer. As an aside it was the best trip we have ever made on the bikes. We went over the issue of carring through canada and just decided to take bear spray instead - it can be used on bad guys as well and made our lives so much easier in not having to worry about the whole gun issue, even though our preference would be to have had something available. Bear spray just made our lives easy, luckily we did not need to use it on bear or any bad guys.

That being said, you were looking for ideas on storage. I would think that the most obvious is a lockable compartment. I would not recommend riding while carrying under your clothing in any form. I think that would just be asking for trouble considering all the different municipalities you will be riding through.

whatever you decide, you will have a great trip. Do yourself a favor and ride down to Homer. You won't regret it.
Field people in the northwest regions of the agency I work for will sometimes encounter bears scavenging accident sites. Some investigators still like to carry, but it's been years since I've heard of one using a firearm for real. The big cans of bear spray really work. They're oil based and a lot nastier than the little dinky self-defense spray cans that women carry in their purse. Plus, if I were in a tent and heard something outside that may be a curious bear who didn't leave after I start yelling and blowing a whistle, I'd rather have the can because the odds of a kill shot in that situation would be pretty bleak.

Flying small planes in Alaska and some other places, you're required to have a survival long weapon. There're plenty of small 22s and shotguns that'd be awkward on the bike but do-able. Again, you'd again have to do the Canadian paperwork in triplicate.

Apart from the Alaska original question and in response to the Texan's question about open carry of a pistol if cc is not allowed, Maryland is like some of the other eastern States. You can't have it off your property unless going to/from the range, a shop, or repair. Period. Don't even think about open carry and cc permits are not granted. I personally know a young guy who got pulled over for a minor traffic stop and the officer found that he had a pistol in the vehicle. (He saw a shell and asked.) The location was near a girlfriend he'd simply detoured to, to say hi, and it didn't happen to be on a direct line between home and the shooting range. He was arrested and his vehicle towed. Even with witnesses happy to provide depositions for his timeline and the officer relating that there really was no problem, it took thousands of dollars and a couple of years to get the gun back and have the enforcement case dropped.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #157
kneeslider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Wink weapons storage

you don't have a hidden stash compartment?
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #158
the_yetiman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I just carry a hatchet. It's more intimidating than a knife in a puckering situation and no problems with the LEOs.

2001 ZRX1200R
2005 Yamaha Zuma
2008 C14
2008 KLR650
2009 Dorsoduro

2006 BMW M-Roadster
2007 Mazda Speed6
the_yetiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #159
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
+1 I sold my 2 handguns as they were worthless. I have no interest in saving someone elses ass, and if someone breaks in I'll be going after them with a machete, hatchet, or if I have to shoot them...my Winchester 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_yetiman
I just carry a hatchet. It's more intimidating than a knife in a puckering situation and no problems with the LEOs.
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:02 AM   #160
sigmund freud
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios
Ok here is a new one...
A friend and I are going to take a 3500 mile trip in May, we are going to travel from Boise ID to Canada, follow the coast down to Mexico and then return to Boise. We are looking to cross into Canada, but they do not allow hand guns in Canada. I know that the simple answer is not to carry but on a long trip like this one, staying in KOA's and cheap Motels and after all the weapons training I have taken, I feel it would be unwize not to be armed. (Its a crazy world out there...) I have a permit that covers some states but that is not the issue as I am not going to carry on my person, I will just keep it locked in my Jesse bags.
So the real question is where can we store our weapons while we do a quick trip into Canada and back, other than a Bus station locker or somthing...

fire away...lol!

STAY AT HOME is my advice
sigmund freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:55 AM   #161
John Spartan
Middle Age Crazy

Oddometer: 46
Aside from checking the RCMP's Canada Firearms Program website which has been mentioned a few times, check out www.canadiangunnutz.com for more advice.

2009 BMW F650 GS (June/2009)
John Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #162
kawasakifreak77
the Asphalt Cowboy

Oddometer: 124
I'd say what I think but don't want to start another wave of anti gun hogwash. After reading the entire thread, the OP asked a simple question to which there doesn't seem to be a simple answer, something I was curious about also. Me personally, as much as I like my little .38, I will be a guest in Canada & will respect their laws / wishes. Therefore I will leave my .38 right where it is now, under my pillow & hope that I am blessed with a safe journey, thank you.

1974 XL350 'Buttons' Scooter trash goes flat track racing!
kawasakifreak77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:38 PM   #163
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
When I went to Nova Scotia, I asked the local Sheriff's Office if I could store it in one of their gun lockers for the week I was in Canada. I picked it up on my way back down.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #164
Pork Butt
Save the USA

Oddometer: 60,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker
Plus, if I were in a tent and heard something outside that may be a curious bear who didn't leave after I start yelling and blowing a whistle, I'd rather have the can because the odds of a kill shot in that situation would be pretty bleak.
Being a gun nutz of sorts I would not think about going near Canadia with a gun .... but bear spray in a tent sounds like suicide to me ......... I had a device one upon a time called a quaram ?? (spell) loud as hell personal defense alarm..... I wonder if sonic devices have any effect on bears?

PB
Old 02-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #165
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Butt
Being a gun nutz of sorts I would not think about going near Canadia with a gun .... but bear spray in a tent sounds like suicide to me ......... I had a device one upon a time called a quaram ?? (spell) loud as hell personal defense alarm..... I wonder if sonic devices have any effect on bears?

PB
Sound will definitely scare a bear and one of our Alaska guys swears by a simple LOUD whistle. I'll bet a can-type air horn would do the same and either the horn or whistle would be my first try if I were in a tent and heard something outside. I acknowledged those.

The gun/spray decision is for AFTER you've been unlucky enough to be one of the few to actually have a bear visit, AFTER you took your bear precautions of keeping smells away from the tent, AFTER you tried the whistle/horn/etc, and AFTER the really slim chance that the bear kept coming. Probably ain't going to happen.

Even then, I wasn't writing about just pre-emptively shooting the spray inside of a tent. If a hungry bear's already gone through all the above and is so intent that he's tearing into the tent, I figure that I'm just trying to minimize how bad I'm going to get hurt. Yes, I'd try real hard to spray him directly or at least put spray out through a tear first, but at that point you're down to you & him. I don't know about you, but my gun aim would be pretty bad at that point and from what I know of bears (unless it's a little blackie) the gun's going to just going to piss him off more. I know for a fact that they'll drop carrion that's got fresh spray on it.