Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #76
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by spqr
Not my fault if the world at larger can't tell if the bolt is out of my smoke pole
No brandishing laws to worry about there?
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #77
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Like some one brought up earlier. It used to be possibl to get a transport permit. I know several Coasties, that I grew up with who drove their vehicles, through Canada, on their way to Alaska, usig a transport permit with no issues. One of teh kids, that works for me has a NC CCW permit, and went to Canada to visit. He was able to get a transport permit, but it was a real PITA.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #78
spqr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy
No brandishing laws to worry about there?

There has to be an element of Intent. We had none.

My ride Report, I will finish it some day.

You pay your money, and you take your chances.

1983 R65 (sold to good home)
2001 Kawasaki Concours (Stacked and totaled)
1997 BMW F650 (Still rolling)
1987 kawasaki EX 500
2009 BMW F800 GS ('nough said)
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650 (The Mule)
spqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #79
PaperBoy
Dig that Crazy Beak

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by spqr
There has to be an element of Intent. We had none.
Growing up in rural America, it wasn't unusual to see people walking through town with rifles on there way to and from the sporting goods store. Or, walking down the rural roads or with a gun strapped to a bicycle. Also, during hunting season, the hunters would check their rifles at the door with my dad who owned a popular tavern. He'd store them in back until it was time for the customer to go home or until the next day if that's what they wanted. Ranch and farm kids would have rifles in gun-racks in the pickup window, parked right outside the school (you never know when you're going to get an opportunity for a coyote or a nice buck on the way down from the "hills"). Point is, no kid back then, no matter how mad he might have been, ever ran out to the pickup to shoot someone at school. Sorry, off the point, but it does show how things have changed in America, even rural America as one of the many school shootings took place in rural Moses Lake, Wash. here in Eastern Washington (with a rifle, but not an assault weapon) in the 1996.

Canada has its own laws. It's another country and when we visit we are guests and our Canadian brothers and sisters are great hosts. We need to be respectful of their laws. If there is a legal way to bring a gun in then that's fine. If there isn't, leave it at home (or at a U.S. gun shop until you get back) or stay home. We expect visitors to our country to follow our laws, whether they agree with them or not, why should we expect people in other countries to expect any differently of us? Have a great ride and let us know how it went.
BMWMOA #142415
Valley BMW Riders member "Bigfoot"
PaperBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:42 AM   #80
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenGun
You don't even need that. Guns are for cowards. People who are afraid.
I agree, but then I'm one of those 'poor downtrodden' people who have no freedom and can't choose to carry a gun - and I'm bloody glad of it!

If I need to take a gun when I go on a holiday, I don't want to go there.
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #81
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,393
The last time I went into Canada in '97, they were pretty serious about you not having a weapon with you. I was questioned pretty serious at the border when I told them I had left my weapon buried on the US side till I get back. I was smiling when I said it but it was a fact. :-).
I guess the best way is to contact the Canadian government on their web site to get a straight answer. I know , don't even think of it going to Mexico unless you are on one of those high buck hunting trips for doves.
Why do I carry? Guess that's like asking others why the eat so much, or stick their noses in others business. When out roaming the deserts on back roads, sometimes I like to stop and just target practice. ;-). It's not a need, it's a want.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #82
KLRoger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenGun
You don't even need that. Guns are for cowards. People who are afraid. Almost no one needs one outside of a war.
Darn and here I was carrying a pistol for over 20 years while I was a Deputy Sheriff. If I had only known I didnít need one. Or wait maybe I was just a coward?
How come the States that have the harshest gun restrictions have the highest crime rates? Why has the crime rate dramatically risen down under after the gun turn in?
As for Canada leave the pistol home.
2006 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide * 2003 Indian Scout
What, me worry? Alfred E. Newman
KLRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #83
KLRoger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoau
I agree, but then I'm one of those 'poor downtrodden' people who have no freedom and can't choose to carry a gun - and I'm bloody glad of it!

If I need to take a gun when I go on a holiday, I don't want to go there.
Bummer we won't see you in the US then. Have a nice ride.
2006 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide * 2003 Indian Scout
What, me worry? Alfred E. Newman
KLRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #84
dedsmurf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
no weapons in canada

dont bring it to canada. i used to do IPSC competitive shooting and would have tons of trouble bringing restricted weapons BACK to canada that had fully been permitted to leave. restricted weapons are very difficult but you can get permits for hunting weapons... so carry a big 7.62 rifle... HAHA
anyway.. you dont need a handgun to travel.. especially in Canada and even in the US. ive been traveling all over the US without a gun and felt perfectly safe.. obviously you've never traveled overseas huh? i would could have used a Kalashnikov in the Sudan 10 years ago...
dedsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #85
spqr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Pissed

And now to push the thread all the way to Jomomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRoger
Darn and here I was carrying a pistol for over 20 years while I was a Deputy Sheriff. If I had only known I didnít need one. Or wait maybe I was just a coward?
How come the States that have the harshest gun restrictions have the highest crime rates? Why has the crime rate dramatically risen down under after the gun turn in?
Hmmm.. Number one weapon used to kill peace officers? Their OWN weapons. [IMG]images/icons/eek.gif[/IMG] I think Heinlein had it right. The problem with firearms, pistols in particular is that they make you feel ten feet tall and bullet proof. Guess what, no one is. Guns are not about security, or feeling safe. The are not about deterrence or security. Guns are about killing some one. The removal of a person from this world.

Now, if you want to travel armed, let me recommend the M1A2 Sep, when you absolutely positivly have to level the village, except no subsitutes.

Sorry about hijacking your thread dude, but somone has to throw the handgrenade in the fishpond.

My ride Report, I will finish it some day.

You pay your money, and you take your chances.

1983 R65 (sold to good home)
2001 Kawasaki Concours (Stacked and totaled)
1997 BMW F650 (Still rolling)
1987 kawasaki EX 500
2009 BMW F800 GS ('nough said)
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650 (The Mule)
spqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #86
pearlblue1800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy

Understand in no uncertain terms that if you go through the steps of unlocking, loading, and firing the gun there is no self-defense pleading here, it's considered cold blooded murder. Keep it locked away till you get back in the US of A and you won't have any problems.

Other than that, have a great trip!
I would actually feel sorry for myself, and country if I felt that I needed to carry a firearm to feel secure. That inorder to defend my self, family, or even more rediculously property, I felt that lethal force was my only alternative.
pearlblue1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #87
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,757
They're tools, nothing more, nothing less. I was probably one of the few Canucks that grew up with handguns in the house so I'm a bit biased due to familiarity.

The original poster didn't make it political, has a legitimate reason for transporting the item and is doing his best to figure out how to do so legally and safely.

That alone should get him some respect, and it would be helpful if this ends up being the one Canadian gun thread that doesn't get tossed to the basement.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:07 AM   #88
j911brick
Squidinator

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMead11
This seems to be the best advice in my opinion....I always carry here in the USA too, but it is just not worth considering to transport one in Canada....even worse to consider this problem for Mexico. I would plan on crossing at the same point and just find a gun store to hold them for you, or I am sure some ADV'er would be glad to hold them for you while you go over. For some reason or other, whenever I cross into Canada, they know I own firearms.....don't know if it was from a previous interview somewhere or that the USA shares information....don't know, but they about tore my bike down and went through everything including all the files in my laptop, so don't ever think you might sneak anything in. I must be a suspicious looking charachter.
Its BS! They did the same act on me once and I had never owned gun. I had been to Canada before and since and have never been bothered.

R1200GSA; Honda Hawk GT; Honda NSR250 SP Rothmans; Honda RS250 GP; Honda CRF250X; Honda 300 Dream.
http://www.bikepics.com/members/j911brick/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CPzKpZYSU

Porsche (several)
http://members.rennlist.com/j911brick/rennlist3_002.htm
j911brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #89
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by j911brick
Its BS! They did the same act on me once and I had never owned gun. I had been to Canada before and since and have never been bothered.
It was probably the Texas thing. You got profiled. Or they were just fishing.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #90
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRoger
the gun control legislation is generally a RESPONSE to crime rates, not a cause.

Thanks for not carrying up here, we appreciate that.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote