Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #31
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,554
So anybody knows about a 2005.5 or a 2006 950 Adventure with the 2" riser installed? Are the cables long enough?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #32
DirtyRoadie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Risers

Please excuse my ignorance. I have stock bars and risers on my adv. 990 and wish they were about an inch lower. I'm 6'2" and ride 98% on pavement. Do the risers make standing offroad more comfortable? If so maybe I'll look into a set for my DRZ.
DirtyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #33
Zander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
So anybody knows about a 2005.5 or a 2006 950 Adventure with the 2" riser installed? Are the cables long enough?
I have a set installed on my 2006. Cables are long enough for the riser except for the throttle in its stock position.

I my case I just rotated the throttle cables backward 90 degrees to provided enough slack.

The throttle cable can also be rotated 180 degrees (positioned under the handle bar).

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Zander screwed with this post 12-21-2011 at 06:33 AM
Zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #34
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander View Post
I have a set installed on my 2006. Cables are long enough for the riser except for the throttle in its stock position.

I my case I just rotated the throttle cables backward 90 degrees to provided enough slack.

The throttle cable can also be rotated 180 degrees (positioned under the handle bar).

Hope this helps.
thank you!
Old 12-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #35
Weldit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
Thank you for all of the replies! I'll try to contact him.
----------------
As for the bolt size "issue": when I got off the bike this summer when crashing into a tree, I've also bent those bolts during the process of the handlebar getting hit by my knee. In my opinion this is not a design flaw, but an advantage, as the bolt will "sacrifice" itself, absorbing some of the energy of the impact, instead of breaking your bones / bending / breaking the handlebar and/or the triples.
while this is true it really sucked for my friend as with only one bolt left it was impossible to ride it out
I rode out and got a bolt so that we could get the bike out of the bush
maybe a spare bolt would be good thing to carry if you plan (who plans to crash) to ride hard
Old 12-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #36
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,310
I got mine a few months ago, only took a few days to receive them. Very pleased with them.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #37
aaronc76
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Cool2 Whats new?

Hello Guys and Girls,
I have a 2011 990.
I am around 180 cm (5.9"-6.0").
I would like to rise the handlebar around 1" (one inch), to get better position when standing on the pegs while "offroading".
I want the handlebar move only up and not toward the back off the bike (and me).

What is new on the market? What is recommended?
I just got confused from the variety...

Cheers
aaronc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #38
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Totally not trying to be a ass here but man the look of that freaks me out. The handlebar to triple connection, being the rider's direct connection to the bike, looks structurally compromised with this setup. The connection between the riser and the stock triple just looks weakened to me with this setup. Riders, especially when riding off road, put a lot of forward and backward pressure on the bars. The more one raises the bars the more one turns them into a lever basically. Fore and aft forces on the bars could bend the riser to triple connection, maybe even breaking it all together. That would be my concern. There comes a point where too much rise is too much rise IMHO. One needs a very solid connection between bars and triple. I'd use a rise height like this with extreme caution. Again, not trying to be an ass, just looking out for fellow ADV'ers.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #39
aaronc76
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
Totally not trying to be a ass here but man the look of that freaks me out. The handlebar to triple connection, being the rider's direct connection to the bike, looks structurally compromised with this setup. The connection between the riser and the stock triple just looks weakened to me with this setup. Riders, especially when riding off road, put a lot of forward and backward pressure on the bars. The more one raises the bars the more one turns them into a lever basically. Fore and aft forces on the bars could bend the riser to triple connection, maybe even breaking it all together. That would be my concern. There comes a point where too much rise is too much rise IMHO. One needs a very solid connection between bars and triple. I'd use a rise height like this with extreme caution. Again, not trying to be an ass, just looking out for fellow ADV'ers.
So .. what are your recommendations ?
Currently I feel I need to bend over to get a good grip when standing.
aaronc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #40
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
I have this riser installed for a long time now, and was/am doing some hardcore offroad riding with it.. have droped the bike more times than I could count, and still everything is Ok with the triples, handlebars and riser.. clutch lever was not so lucky however:)) just my $0.02..
Old 04-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #41
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc76 View Post
So .. what are your recommendations ?
Currently I feel I need to bend over to get a good grip when standing.
Well, firstly, having to bend over a bit when standing up is completely normal. There tends to be a common thread among tall adventure riders that when they stand up on the pegs they shouldn't have to bend over at all. This is not the case.

Marc Coma is a pretty tall guy and bends over a bit when standing up for the entire Dakar. Proper standing posture when riding off road includes an 'attack' posture, which includes a bending of the knee and bending your torso down a bit, bending the elbows, and proper head/eye sight angle: head not up too far and head not down too far. Perfect standing posture:

Point being, having to bend down a bit when standing up is a normal part of riding standing up. Having the mentality that you should be able to be completely upright when standing up is not realistic or effective when riding. An 'attack' posture when riding standing up is key. A 'hey I'm standing around waiting for the bus' posture us not! Torso strength and endurance is also key, but that's a whole other discussion!

My recommendation would be a 50/50 approach. 50% of the rise would come from a bar riser and 50% of the rise would come from the bars themselves. This will achieve a decent rise while maintaining the structural stability of the bar to triple connection. These with a bar that has a bit more rise would work:

Getting used to proper standing riding posture will allow you to not have to raise the bars so much.

I am just throwing out my concerns and recommendations here. I'm not attacking anyone, so no need to flame.

The Griz screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 08:55 AM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote