ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #1546
mnd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters
???? I thought you were talking about Davis Ford. Or are you talking about the dirt road that goes down to the Occoquan River (I think it's called River Rd)? (Did i just C-block your future tag??)
Nope! Was looking at Carriage Ford Road.
Quote:
I want to do a tag in the vicinity of Casanova. I have no idea what's there, but I saw the sign when I went out to the train bridge. Between the Zoolander movie and a cheezey 80's song - lots of corny references.

I guess I will have to wait for this post to get buried before I use that one
Heh.
mnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #1547
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhound

Ali is in the center flower pot of 3 pots on the right side of the building

Pretty well hidden between the edge and the red/orange/yellow plant.

How it will probably look driving up.

Alternate tag picture if you are not inclined to park in the street.

Editing to add an additional clue (from the tag picture):
My back yard... headed out now.
error cooled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #1548
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Quote:

Found the cigarette butt and the straw wrapper but no Ali . I guess one of you all got there before me.. or perhaps a concertgoer did?

Old 08-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #1549
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnd
Nope! Was looking at Carriage Ford Road.
It looks like nothing more than a utility right of way - I like it! Google makes it looks like a road until you zoom in.

You know, I'm thinking it wouldn't take much to talk you into trying the creek crossing at Peach Orchard and Little River Road.

I was eyeing up Beaverdam Resevoir for a new tag - only to see it has been previously tagged. I think sooner or later we may need to allow duplicates to allow others more incentive to go to some of these spots. I think there only a few thousand other cool places to tag in NVA first.

Butters screwed with this post 08-02-2009 at 04:20 PM
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #1550
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,981
So I just picked up one of these.

2007 DRZ400S, has about 3,500 miles on it. FMF pipe, Dyno Jet kit and smaller than stock front sprocket, those are 2 things I will be looking to change. The FMF pipe is so loud it makes me laugh, it is way obnoxious. I have the original pipe and whatever the thingy's are for the carb.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #1551
mnd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters
It looks like nothing more than a utility right of way - I like it! Google makes it looks like a road until you zoom in.
No, the part I wanted to ride is actually a really nice gravel road. It was posted shortly after the pavement ended and though there was no gate its not quite the same as playing fast and lose with a utility easement.

The utility right of way is separate.

Quote:
You know, I'm thinking it wouldn't take much to talk you into trying the creek crossing at Peach Orchard and Little River Road.
Between Braddock and Logmill? That actually is one of the places I want to check out.

Exxon in 15?
Quote:
I was eyeing up Beaverdam Reservoir for a new tag - only to see it has been previously tagged. I think sooner or later we may need to allow duplicates to allow others more incentive to go to some of these spots. I think there only a few thousand other cool places to tag in NVA first.
Well, we've only recently broken 100 so we've a ways to go.

I spotted something like your Reservoir while I was looking at maps. Have to check it out later.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #1552
mnd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mica

2007 DRZ400S, has about 3,500 miles on it. FMF pipe, Dyno Jet kit and smaller than stock front sprocket, those are 2 things I will be looking to change. The FMF pipe is so loud it makes me laugh, it is way obnoxious. I have the original pipe and whatever the thingy's are for the carb.
Sweet.

Butters and I are apparently going to go wash our bikes, after getting them dirty.

Exxon on 28 and Manassas drive?
Old 08-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #1553
donnymoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Nice, the 400 is a nice size for this area, and the trails up at Taskers, etc., congrats!
donnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #1554
Butters
. . . . . .

Quote:

I liked my DRZ. I thought I had a brand new 16t counter sprocket laying around, but I just looked and it wasn't where I expected it. If I find it, you can have it. (I believe you need some cover modification to fit a 16t). My big complaint was the RPMs at hwy speeds (hence the 16t). I don't know how people deal with a 14t or 13t on anything but dirt.

The seat is no picnic either . . .

Butters screwed with this post 08-02-2009 at 04:57 PM
Old 08-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #1555
Elkhound
Hunting Dog

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled
Found the cigarette butt and the straw wrapper but no Ali . I guess one of you all got there before me.. or perhaps a concertgoer did?
There were no events scheduled between the time of the tag yesterday
and when you where there. And Ali was pretty well hidden behind the plants.
Also, I don't remember the cigarette but or straw wrapper. Hope its a Bruce.

Mica, good to hear you are back in action.
Elkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #1556
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,981
I was really looking for the 650 but the price was too sweeeet on this to pass up. I haven't ruled out flipping it, pocket some cash and get a DR 650.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #1557
Butters
. . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnd

Exxon in 15?
Except my son can't reach the rear pegs on my XCh. Oh wait, I don't have rear pegs.

I can attest that DRZs handle the creek crossing just fine.

MND - I'd ask you when are you going to get a dirt worthy bike, but you have made it quite clear you already have one!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #1558
Butters
. . . . . .

Quote:
I was really looking for the 650 but the price was too sweeeet on this to pass up. I haven't ruled out flipping it, pocket some cash and get a DR 650.
That's how I ended up with my DRZ. I'm thinking if I had got the DR from the beginning, I wouldn't be riding the XCh now. But I don't think you can ever go wrong if you can pick up a bike you like and know you won't lose much, if anything, when you flip it.

I did like how I had it set up prior to selling. Shame I didn't use the accessories much. I'm such a friggin poser . . .

P.S. Thumpertalk.com will be your friend! Hopefully we won't lose you to those hooligans.

Butters screwed with this post 08-02-2009 at 04:56 PM
Old 08-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #1559
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Quote:
Also, I don't remember the cigarette but or straw wrapper.
Was it not in this flowerpot? The red, orange and yellow plant was half pulled up.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #1560
DMM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Error, was that you with the sidecar outfit at State Theater this afternoon?
If so, I was across the street getting one of two tag shots. I wondered if the m/c rider was out for a grab. I was going to shout to the rider, until I saw him in conversation with another guy who approached him in the parking lot - figured that perhaps the two were there a bit early for a show (perhaps the GNR Tribute band).

Anyhow, it figures that when I go for a grab and I'm not that interested in it, I get the grab. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I head out.

The grab:

Alli on the planter's edge. You can note some of the remaining camouflage the Elk placed on Alli to keep him well hidden. That or Alli's got some skills. Cannot speak to the cig. but or other detritus. Perhaps Alli was enjoying himself while waiting to get picked up.

A closeup of the camouflage - mostly dirt and leaves.

Grab shot #1:

Theater marquee:

Grab shot #2.

DMM screwed with this post 08-02-2009 at 06:27 PM
DMM is offline   Reply With Quote