ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #11926
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,226
GRAB: Gum Springs Rd at Katebini Ln

TAG: Look for the Rd that takes you to the Meadow upon which a Beaver would lay in. IF you can see the meadow through the snow

The tree to the left of the photo. Ali is under that dried out Charlie Brown looking pine tree in front of the fence post

SteelB12 screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 11:31 AM
SteelB12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #11927
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
SB12, outstanding!

Hope you didn't have to dig too much to get Ali. I tried to use the electrical conduit as a depth marker.
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #11928
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
SB12, outstanding!

Hope you didn't have to dig too much to get Ali. I tried to use the electrical conduit as a depth marker.
It was all melted around the little bugger
Old 02-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #11929
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Grabbed!

Ali looked at me, puzzled. "You're new," he said. I looked back at him, my helmeted head tilted in confusion. "What do you mean? I've nabbed you several times. Not regularly, but that's not the point." Then it hit me. I changed names recently. "Do you remember a TStorm?" I asked him. Ali thought for a moment. "Vaguely," he said. "Well, I'm him! I simply changed my name" I exclaimed. "Oh," Ali responded, "I thought your bike looked a little familiar. So where to? Somewhere without snow would be nice."

I thought about it for a moment. "There's almost no snow at all in the Red Light District. And I know a spot that's tucked away, and has mostly just stop signs, not lights, to get there," I told him. "That sounds fine to me" he replied. And so off we went...

----

"It's kind of hard to hide you here," I told him. "Nah, it's fine," Ali said. "I don't have to be right on the road. Just as long as you can see the hiding place from the road, and easily walk there. I'm sure there's something along that drainage ditch over there."

I walked over to take a look. Sure enough, about 10' after the ditch started, it ended in a pile of brush. Conveniently, there happened to be an Ali-sized cement cave, waiting for it's new inhabitant. "How's this?" I said, pointing at the cement thing. "Hmm...cozy. I like it," he responded.

Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #11930
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,837
Nice grab!

Typically, the grab address is posted (for what may now be a bygone practice; updating the NOVA Tag-o-rama map). AFAIK, the last grab was at:

Beaver Meadow Road
Sterling, VA
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #11931
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Mast -- very nice grab/tag!!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #11932
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Grab; S. Lee & Green Streets, Alexandria, VA
:

The 15-inch Rodman gun was formidable; in the class of the largest battleship guns of World War II. I think the historic marker maker may have made an error on the Parrott guns; no way the ones I saw could be classed as, "200-pounders." Yet, I admit . . . I ain't seen 'em all!

EDIT: I think the sign-maker had one excess zero; likely the pieces were 20-pounders, vs. 200-pounders. Here's a left trunion marked "20 Pdr." from markerhunter.wordpress.com:

Further EDIT: Wikipedia says, somewhat in contradiction, Battery Rodgers had one 15-inch Rodman gun, and one 6.8-inch 100-pounder Parrott rifle; then shows this image said to portray one 10-inch 200-pounder Parrott rifle (foreground) and the 15-inch Rodman gun in the rear:

Possibly, armament changed during the war. The 20-pounder Parrott is considered to be the largest piece of rifled field artillery (in contrast to the fixed "coast artillery" of Battery Rodgers) in the "War Between The States."

XDragRacer screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 06:20 PM Reason: World-wide press coverge remains
Old 02-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #11933
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Tag! If you haven't thrown away Sunday's Washington Post, on page C3, you'll see where Ali is:

At the intersection of two roads; one named for the British general in whose honor this monument stands, and . . . one that might have been named for Jane's family; she who starred in Howard Hughes' controversial film, "The Outlaw." THIS Jane (Snap/Rex Features):

Disclaimer: No bike in tag shots; a couple of local policemen came by to assist and advise me, as I had stopped in the middle of the road to photograph the monument; my encounter left insufficient time to pose the bike in the shot.

From the north side of the monument; Ali is under the rock by which the mascot lies (2nd image below):

XDragRacer screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 05:40 PM
Old 02-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #11934
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Tag! If you haven't thrown away Sunday's Washington Post, on page C3, you'll see where Ali is
I know where that is! Then again, I'm the one who put Ali there the first time, almost a year ago.... My tag description wasn't as interesting as yours though.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #11935
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
I know where that is! Then again, I'm the one who put Ali there the first time, almost a year ago.... My tag description wasn't as interesting as yours though.
Alas! Credit yet another dupe to my record!

I thought this a likely spot for a previous venue; however, I did not check the somewhat dated Tag-o-rama map for clearance. The newspaper article, and the immediately previous artillery-centric tag, precipitated my impulsive caching of Ali here.

Regardless, grab away! Tag with more innovation and creativity than I did, or not! The ride's the thing!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #11936
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Grab: 200 W. Braddock Road, Alexandria, Va.

Ali was resting under the rock, right where he was supposed to be.

A short walk up the hill, and we were off to our next spot, a deer place to park ali for a bit. . ..

Old 02-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #11937
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Tag:

Looking back:

Hidden at the base of the large pine seen to the right of the blue sign:

And marked with an "A", like so:

The clue:
Find a spot of ground, naturally or artificially salty, where deer come to lick. It'll be one word plus "park."

Happy tagging!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #11938
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
Grab: 200 W. Braddock Road, Alexandria, Va.
Yes, at RUSSELL Road.

Excellent!
Old 03-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #11939
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Alas! Credit yet another dupe to my record!

I thought this a likely spot for a previous venue; however, I did not check the somewhat dated Tag-o-rama map for clearance. The newspaper article, and the immediately previous artillery-centric tag, precipitated my impulsive caching of Ali here.

Regardless, grab away! Tag with more innovation and creativity than I did, or not!
It's a good spot, and to me, I feel the TOR game is meant to get people to go out and explore places that are in there own backyard. I've always thought it was an interesting spot. I mean you're just driving along Braddock, and then all of a sudden there's a cannon there in the middle of the street. How many places offer that?
Quote:
The ride's the thing!
Very true. After all, "it's better to travel than to arrive", and that's what I kept in mind for my tag today. But more on that in a minute...

First, the grab:
Deerlick Park, off Braddock Road, Springfield

So like I was saying, TOR should be about getting people to go out and see stuff that's in their own area. Since I'm also prepping for a month-long cross country road trip next month, I'm still testing out gear and seeing what I need and don't need. So, since it's not snowing or raining, I figured I'd combine the two and do some more practice with my helmet cam and mic, my Garmin Montana, and test out my new overpants.

I recently downloaded a file full of Offbeat Tourist Attractions that overlap a portion of the TOR boundaries. As I scrolled through the list, I found one that looked interesting: "Corn Cob Silo". I stashed Ali into a side bag and set off.

Some time later, I found myself in farm country (aka: Fauquier Country) on a two-digit road whose numbers add up to 10. Traveling west several miles, I found the silo on the left. I passed it, did a U-turn, and stopped, looking for a place to hide Ali in.

It was a little difficult to find a spot, but if you look by the post with the green electrical box beside it, you'll find Ali peeking out.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #11940
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

I go past that all the time and have never noticed the silo. Go figure