ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 01:44 AM   #1921
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds
 
ZzyzyxRd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: So Nev
Oddometer: 11,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
Does it with both magazines (I think), and not all the time. I'm gonna scrub it and hopefully take a few shot this weekend. I'll bring the camera along too.......if I can find my battery charger


ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #1922
fattires
Wandering aimlessly...
 
fattires's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Morehead, KY
Oddometer: 314
This is my latest rimfire acquisition. Savage Mark II BTV with a tasco 4x16 scope. It's not the greatest scope in the world but it was on the rifle when I bought it. Got the whole setup for just a little more than half what a new one cost. I have cut the accutrigger spring a bit to get the trigger pull down to about 14oz.
Here are a couple of my better groups so far, these are at 50 yards. I know I could do much better if I had a better rest.

__________________
1997 KLR685
fattires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #1923
pretbek
Studly Adventurer
 
pretbek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattires View Post
This is my latest rimfire acquisition. Savage Mark II BTV with a tasco 4x16 scope. It's not the greatest scope in the world but it was on the rifle when I bought it. Got the whole setup for just a little more than half what a new one cost. I have cut the accutrigger spring a bit to get the trigger pull down to about 14oz.
Here are a couple of my better groups so far, these are at 50 yards. I know I could do much better if I had a better rest.

Nice groups!

Does the Savage have a free-floating barrel?
And sorry for a possibly stupid question: Doesn't cutting a spring make it stiffer? I guess not, because you got your trigger down to 14 oz.

Please forgive my momentary thread hijack;
I don't have much experience shooting rimfire rifles, so I was wondering: This is one of the better groups that I shot with my .22 Air Arms air rifle with Kodiak pellets, is it fair to compare air rifle and rimfire? They seem pretty similar.

pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #1924
RedRocker
Native Texican
 
RedRocker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: N.Texas
Oddometer: 5,406
Yeah, you need to work on those groups.
__________________
N. Texas
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #1925
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds
 
ZzyzyxRd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: So Nev
Oddometer: 11,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Nice groups!


Please forgive my momentary thread hijack;
I don't have much experience shooting rimfire rifles, so I was wondering: This is one of the better groups that I shot with my .22 Air Arms air rifle with Kodiak pellets, is it fair to compare air rifle and rimfire? They seem pretty similar.

Nice group.
About the only thing they share is bullet/pellet diameter. .22 air rifles shoot at a lower velocity and the pellets are lighter.
I like air rifles but the ones I like ain't cheap.
There is a thread for Air Rifles here. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=rifles
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #1926
Aghartha
Awesome
 
Aghartha's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 340
Bumpin this thread.

Tell me about the Marlin XT17. I'm wanting a .17hmr bolt action, and it's between the Savage 93R17GV and the Marlin XT17V. Both felt the same when I held them, triggers felt similar, I like the simple finish look and feel on the Marlin, but the prices are close enough to not matter. I just don't see much info on the Marlin on the web, compared to the Savage. Is it new? Any thoughts?

Pic for no reason.

Aghartha screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 06:51 PM Reason: holy shit that was a big picture.
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #1927
Signal
Cynical Idealist
 
Signal's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 8,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghartha View Post
Bumpin this thread.

Tell me about the Marlin XT17. I'm wanting a .17hmr bolt action, and it's between the Savage 93R17GV and the Marlin XT17V. Both felt the same when I held them, triggers felt similar, I like the simple finish look and feel on the Marlin, but the prices are close enough to not matter. I just don't see much info on the Marlin on the web, compared to the Savage. Is it new? Any thoughts?

Pic for no reason.
Marlin has done its best to essentially copy the savage stuff, even their own accutrigger version. FWIW I have loved every savage I've owned, and have been the most accurate for cost bar none. Savage does seem to have the best tubes for the bucks .

This AM I bought a savage .17 HMR with the accutrigger (door buster at cabelas- was $190 OTD ). The stock is cheap black plastic but will do the job (as an aside, which paint will cover that plastic?? Gonna go desert cammo/tan I think)
__________________
Day Trippin'- Endless Utah
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #1928
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer
 
tslewisz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Oddometer: 2,338
I'd look to Krylon Fusion. Enjoy your rifle.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #1929
Apxgrndr
In the snow
 
Apxgrndr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Up here
Oddometer: 949
Scoped the full stock, Sacrilege I know but this rifle is too accurate for me and open sights
__________________
You're stronger than you think.
Apxgrndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #1930
mxbulldog
Braaaap!
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Grandora, SK
Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghartha View Post
Bumpin this thread.

Tell me about the Marlin XT17. I'm wanting a .17hmr bolt action, and it's between the Savage 93R17GV and the Marlin XT17V. Both felt the same when I held them, triggers felt similar, I like the simple finish look and feel on the Marlin, but the prices are close enough to not matter. I just don't see much info on the Marlin on the web, compared to the Savage. Is it new? Any thoughts?

Pic for no reason.
I bought a Marlin XT17 this spring. Stainless, laminate, fluted barrel. It shoots really well. Seems to really like the Federal .17HMR ammo. It was not a fan of CCI ammo. really spread the groups out with it. Overall, I am very happy with the gun. Only small issue I have seen is once in awhile when you are feeding the first round in, you need to just press up on the bottom of the clip a little bit.
mxbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #1931
Signal
Cynical Idealist
 
Signal's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 8,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post
Scoped the full stock, Sacrilege I know but this rifle is too accurate for me and open sights
__________________
Day Trippin'- Endless Utah
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #1932
Aghartha
Awesome
 
Aghartha's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbulldog View Post
I bought a Marlin XT17 this spring. Stainless, laminate, fluted barrel. It shoots really well. Seems to really like the Federal .17HMR ammo. It was not a fan of CCI ammo. really spread the groups out with it. Overall, I am very happy with the gun. Only small issue I have seen is once in awhile when you are feeding the first round in, you need to just press up on the bottom of the clip a little bit.
Thanks for the reply. Are you using the 4 or 7 round mags?
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #1933
mxbulldog
Braaaap!
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Grandora, SK
Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghartha View Post
Thanks for the reply. Are you using the 4 or 7 round mags?
Been using both. it comes with a 4 and a 7. Both seem as apt to need the extra nudge but have fed very reliably otherwise. Now it is just habit to give the bottom of the mag a little tweak as I'm closing the bolt for the first round.

I'm apparently only half awake this morning..Mine is a 917.
mxbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #1934
Agent2
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Firestorm Alley, California
Oddometer: 128
Not sure if correct thread to post, but I have a Ruger 10-22 with a BSA Red Dot sight, both purchased about 10 years ago. The rifle still shoots like a champ, the BSA has the problem, not sure how to describe other than saying the rubber or plastic body seems to be deteriorating and has become "tacky" for no better way to put it. Not an expensive sight, but still works great for plinking. Anyone familiar with this problem and any way to quick fix?
Agent2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #1935
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post
Scoped the full stock, Sacrilege I know but this rifle is too accurate for me and open sights
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014