Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #1996
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Any time you take apart any rifle/shotgun, some critical components are exposed, whether it is the chamber, firing pin or bolt. The big downside in that respect for the 39A is that the bolt can be easily removed from the receiver when it is taken down. Considering these take down rifles were once called "bicycle guns" because they could be easily carried on a bicycle in two pieces, I don't consider component exposure when broken down to be much of an issue as long as the firearm is stored in something like a soft bag.

It takes about 3-4 seconds to take a 39A apart. Unscrew the screw, put on half-cock, pull off the stock.

Sorry about the picture being slightly cut off, but it is the only one I have handy (1939 vintage 39A):

Yours must be a bit more "experienced" than mine (looks older). Mine doesn't come apart anywhere near that easily, but it fits together really well.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #1997
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Those Winchester pumps are cool. My dad has one of the Rossi/Taurus/Puma/whomever copies and it's a great little rifle. Always used to get attention at the range and is super easy to break down. Unfortunately, I can't get him to give it to me

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #1998
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Takedown 22

If you need a 22 takedown, find a Marlin 39M. I have one (my first gun) that was made in the mid 70s. Yes it is tight, but it comes apart and back together in just a few seconds. And it is a bunch lighter than the modern 39A. It is hard to believe how much difference the 20" barrel and straight grip make in the way it feels.

I will dig mine out later and post a couple of pics.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #1999
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,101
Living the Dream

As a boy, I dreamed about being able to walk out the back door to shoot. Seven years ago the wifey and I moved to the country. I was neck deep in motorcycles, and the shooting range was still on the back burner. This summer I got busy and made a place. Three thousand rounds later......

I started this summer using a SIG Mosquito, added a GSG 1911-22 (that I like a lot), and then bought this S&W MDL 22A Target. Using a price vs. accuracy ratio for comparison, this is the best gun I have.

ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #2000
84thProblem
Disbelief suspended

Oddometer: 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Those Winchester pumps are cool. My dad has one of the Rossi/Taurus/Puma/whomever copies and it's a great little rifle. Always used to get attention at the range and is super easy to break down. Unfortunately, I can't get him to give it to me
My dad gave me his '07 1906 last year. He says my great grandpa bought it new, handed it down to his son, who handed it down to his son, who handed it down to me. There are two more generations in line for it now.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #2001
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Mine needs a new extractor.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #2002
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84thProblem View Post
My dad gave me his '07 1906 last year. He says my great grandpa bought it new, handed it down to his son, who handed it down to his son, who handed it down to me. There are two more generations in line for it now.
Awesome. Here's mine, handed down to me by my Dad...
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #2003
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
I'm old enough to remember those pump .22's being used as "Gallery guns", at local fairs, where they had the moving ducks, rabbits, etc., that you could knock down. Great fun! They gave you 10 rounds for a quarter. Those were the good old days!

I also remember running a shooting booth for our local sportsman's club fund raiser picnic (when I was 14), where we had a single shot .22 Savage bolt rifle and for 25 cents you got three shots at shooting a string from which a 2 lb. premium summer sausage was suspended. If you cut the string, you got the sausage (a Wisconsin thing). That little Savage was a tack driver.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #2004
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds

Oddometer: 11,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Alright, sorry for the shitty pics.

Here's my 39a golden. I believe it's early 70s vintage. I have no idea who "RWE" is.

Here's what's exposed when it's it's broken in two. Pretty much everything.

Also, to be honest, it's a pain in the ass to get apart and even harder to get back together. The tolerances are super tight so there's a lot of wiggling and bumping and jerking to get it to work itself apart and back together again. Also, the bolt comes out separate from the two halves with no where to store. Now, I've only done it a handful of times so someone really familiar with the process can probably do it easily, but it's still not as quick as the ruger take down.

If I were plinking in the woods or doing some serious .22 hunting. I'd definitely take it over the other take down .22s except for the ruger and to be realistic, it's still a pretty small rifle and wouldn't take up much room in a truck/suv/boat/airplane. But it's certainly not designed to be carried in a back pack in two pieces. Not that you'd want to, because it's heavy. It makes my 12ga nova feel like a cheap airsoft toy.

Just because I had that out i got my winchester out as well.

Unscrew the little bolt and it pretty much falls in half, but it's tight and solid when together.

Feels like it weights about half as much as the marlin. It's also really small. Literally kid's sized.

The Winchester pump is too cool, love the old straight stock and I see what you mean about the Marlin.
I would rather have an old classic that already has some love then beat up a new gun. That pump is a great squirrel gun.

ZzyzyxRd screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 10:22 PM
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #2005
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds

[

I started this summer using a SIG Mosquito, added a GSG 1911-22 (that I like a lot), and then bought this S&W MDL 22A Target. Using a price vs. accuracy ratio for comparison, this is the best gun I have.

[/QUOTE]

My 22A TALO, got it for what the standard 22A was going for.

This is my best 22 pistol, it's about as accurate as you can get, loves the HV rounds.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #2006
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds

My two 22 revolvers.

That and my three long guns is it for my 22's.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:46 AM   #2007
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Beautiful rifle and a great story to go with it.
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #2008
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,198
Looking for a .22 auto pistol for a lefty... Any suggestions?

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #2009
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
Looking for a .22 auto pistol for a lefty... Any suggestions?

NFE
SR22 is pretty lefty friendly, but doesn't have a right side slide release.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #2010
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,294
I looked at the S&W offerings, both new and old and they all have one problem....they are made for people with gorilla hands. I have several older 22 autos, woodsman, challanger stuff like that and they just fit my hand perfect. In shopping for the latest new 22 I went with a Neos and could not be more happy....I bought the carbine kit a few months after and it is just so much flippin fun. Going to buy another Neos so I don't have to keep switching the thing over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd View Post
[

My 22A TALO, got it for what the standard 22A was going for.

This is my best 22 pistol, it's about as accurate as you can get, loves the HV rounds.

[/QUOTE]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: