ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #2341
RedRocker
Native Texican
 
RedRocker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: N.Texas
Oddometer: 5,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Rider View Post
I would like to, but I do not own a gun with a 10 round magazines, Actually those have been outlawed by our great Govenor this week. 7 rounds is all we get in the great state of New York

I work with 2 guys who have done it and they have nothing but good things to say about the program.
On the up side, nobody in your state will ever be a victim of a crime committed with a gun. Maybe the cops can even get ten round mags someday too.
__________________
N. Texas
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #2342
Jeffy
Hmm...
 
Jeffy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SF - East Bay
Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Rider View Post
I would like to, but I do not own a gun with a 10 round magazines, Actually those have been outlawed by our great Govenor this week. 7 rounds is all we get in the great state of New York

I work with 2 guys who have done it and they have nothing but good things to say about the program.
Contact the people who are doing it. There is usually someone with a loaner.
__________________
"I'm going to shift gears now.... This will involve man touching." - Jeremy Clarkson
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #2343
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable
 
rapidoxidationman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: The Teton Rockies
Oddometer: 8,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Rider View Post
I would like to, but I do not own a gun with a 10 round magazines, Actually those have been outlawed by our great Govenor this week. 7 rounds is all we get in the great state of New York

I work with 2 guys who have done it and they have nothing but good things to say about the program.
so does that mean my Ruger 10/22 is illegal in NY now? How about a tube magazine Marlin or some such?
__________________
Quote:
I know I'm feeling badly when I have no interest in speeding
Patrick
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #2344
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire
 
mustang's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cow Hampshire , Frozen Wasteland
Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
so does that mean my Ruger 10/22 is illegal in NY now? How about a tube magazine Marlin or some such?
removable mags only and only applies to semi auto's ,and I believe you can only have 2 mags in your possession at a time . you can still have the 10 rounders but can only be loaded with 7.
You have 1 year to sell / dispose of out of state any mags greater than 10 round capacity .
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 AM   #2345
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
removable mags only and only applies to semi auto's ,and I believe you can only have 2 mags in your possession at a time . you can still have the 10 rounders but can only be loaded with 7.
You have 1 year to sell / dispose of out of state any mags greater than 10 round capacity .
At a risk of sending this to CSM....that is fucking stupid.

I hope someone challenges this.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #2346
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
You have 1 year to sell / dispose of out of state any mags greater than 10 round capacity .
I wonder about adding a "plug" to a magazine. I have 2, 14 rounders for my S&W 59 and I'm 98% sure CT will do something similar. Used to put a wooden dowel in my dad's pump shotgun so we could legally hunt ducks. 3 shots IIRC.

Can an unremoveable "plug" be installed to meet the restrictions?
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #2347
RonS
Out there...
 
RonS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Dancing with roads
Oddometer: 17,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
removable mags only and only applies to semi auto's ,and I believe you can only have 2 mags in your possession at a time . you can still have the 10 rounders but can only be loaded with 7.
You have 1 year to sell / dispose of out of state any mags greater than 10 round capacity .
Ex post facto laws are expressly forbidden by the United States Constitution in Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3. Keep your mags and contact a good Constitutional lawyer.

Please delete this post if it violates the shiny things rules.

RonS screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 02:58 PM
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #2348
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey
 
doc_ricketts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: FlaWaCo?
Oddometer: 4,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
so does that mean my Ruger 10/22 is illegal in NY now? How about a tube magazine Marlin or some such?
You can take one of the clear plastic non-Ruger magazines (single stack vertical) and cut off the end to make a 7 round out of 10 round mag. I did this with the one I have to make it more vertically compact, not because of state restriction. Here is the mag I am talking about, which is very easy to modify:
__________________
"Get yourself to the hills and be uplifted, assuming you got some good knobbies"
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #2349
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last
 
Manuel Garcia O'Kely's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Central Colorado Rockies
Oddometer: 12,102
Well, I've plowed thru every singe page of this thread. Wow.

So, I've got this nice bolt-action Marlin .22 LR with a peep sight and I like it just fine, but I've got an urge for a scoped range rifle.

I know it's not original, but looking a the current models of the 10-22, they have a bull barrel target model that costs a fair slice more than the standard tapered barrel jobs - I heard that the target is a free floating barrel, which presumably will be more accurate.

Knowing the gazillion possible parts, etc., is it worth buying this one stock as a regular shooter? I really am not yet into the building phase - would like something tolerably accurate out of the box, then have options to work it more.

Not interested in a tacticool .22...

I've already got two nice .22 pistols as well.

And yes, I could put a scope on the Marlin.
__________________
Never ascribe to Evil that which is more resonably explained by Ignorance and Stupidity

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #2350
gatling
Beastly Adventurer
 
gatling's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Well, I've plowed thru every singe page of this thread. Wow.

So, I've got this nice bolt-action Marlin .22 LR with a peep sight and I like it just fine, but I've got an urge for a scoped range rifle.

I know it's not original, but looking a the current models of the 10-22, they have a bull barrel target model that costs a fair slice more than the standard tapered barrel jobs - I heard that the target is a free floating barrel, which presumably will be more accurate.

Knowing the gazillion possible parts, etc., is it worth buying this one stock as a regular shooter? I really am not yet into the building phase - would like something tolerably accurate out of the box, then have options to work it more.

Not interested in a tacticool .22...

I've already got two nice .22 pistols as well.

And yes, I could put a scope on the Marlin.
I don't have one of the 10/22 target models, but if you can find one I would snap it up. I am a big fan of the 10/22.

I put a target scope on my TALO French walnut 10/22 and it is accurate enough. These guns are a lot of fun.

__________________
www.motofoto.cc
'06 KLR 650 (Red...the fast one...)
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #2351
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable
 
rapidoxidationman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: The Teton Rockies
Oddometer: 8,039
There's not many rifles out there with the aftermarket support of the 10/22, and in my experience you'll find it pretty accurate right out of the box. I've put a scope on mine and have it zeroed for 25 yards, which also means it is zeroed for 100 yards. It shoots straighter than I do...

The only thing I can say against the new versions is that the trigger guard is polymer instead of metal.
__________________
Quote:
I know I'm feeling badly when I have no interest in speeding
Patrick
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #2352
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last
 
Manuel Garcia O'Kely's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Central Colorado Rockies
Oddometer: 12,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling View Post
I don't have one of the 10/22 target models, but if you can find one I would snap it up. I am a big fan of the 10/22.

I put a target scope on my TALO French walnut 10/22 and it is accurate enough. These guns are a lot of fun.

I saw your photos way upthread, and I have to say that it is one of the bitchin'ist rifles I've ever seen - looks a lot like my vintage browning's stock. Wonderful looking.
__________________
Never ascribe to Evil that which is more resonably explained by Ignorance and Stupidity

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #2353
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last
 
Manuel Garcia O'Kely's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Central Colorado Rockies
Oddometer: 12,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
There's not many rifles out there with the aftermarket support of the 10/22, and in my experience you'll find it pretty accurate right out of the box. I've put a scope on mine and have it zeroed for 25 yards, which also means it is zeroed for 100 yards. It shoots straighter than I do...

The only thing I can say against the new versions is that the trigger guard is polymer instead of metal.
I have gotten much the impression out of the hundreds of posts regarding the rifle - I think I'll call my shop and have 'em order one for me.

As to the polymer: Well, my experience with engineering plastics as been pretty good - and it's not like that's a high-stress location! Now a plastic bolt....

Thanks.
__________________
Never ascribe to Evil that which is more resonably explained by Ignorance and Stupidity

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #2354
JRP
Old guy
 
JRP's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Hampden, MA
Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Well, I've plowed thru every singe page of this thread. Wow.

So, I've got this nice bolt-action Marlin .22 LR with a peep sight and I like it just fine, but I've got an urge for a scoped range rifle.

I know it's not original, but looking a the current models of the 10-22, they have a bull barrel target model that costs a fair slice more than the standard tapered barrel jobs - I heard that the target is a free floating barrel, which presumably will be more accurate.

Knowing the gazillion possible parts, etc., is it worth buying this one stock as a regular shooter? I really am not yet into the building phase - would like something tolerably accurate out of the box, then have options to work it more.

Not interested in a tacticool .22...

I've already got two nice .22 pistols as well.

And yes, I could put a scope on the Marlin.

Check this Savage MARK II-BV
About as accurate as you can get out of the box with no add ons.
__________________
"What could possibly go wrong? " The Jerk
2012 TE 250
2010 F 650 GS
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #2355
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: petoskey,michigan
Oddometer: 1,301
Do to rising ammo cost and availabilty I purchased a remington 597 semi auto, with a 25 rd magazine. Like the gun but after putting a 1000 rds through it , I could not believe how off the sight were. Had friend shoot it and same thing, windage was all the way to left and elevation at 25 yards was all the way down. Finally took it back to dealer. He shot it with same results. Both of us agree the barrel was put into drilling jig wrong or something. On its way back to remington hope they makes this right. 30 years off owning guns and never seen anything like this
tommyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014