Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 58 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #2506
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,135
Speaking of Marlin...

So I've got a Marlin Bolt action .22 and I've been trying to fit it with a scope...since the receiver is grooved, one would think that this would be easy. One would be SO wrong.

Curved top receiver - rings are mostly flat top...also don't have clearance for the 40mm objective scope that is sold as a ".22 scope".

Anyone have hits for a set of rings for a .22 with a decent fit for this? I've tried Burris and now have the Redfield 'see thru' rings - which I had to file down to fit even a bit - I hope they don't pop off in use! I had to file the cross bolt to allow the clamp to fit down into the grooves.

The receiver is not tapped at all, since it's grooved.

Anyone have any suggestions?

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #2507
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
So I've got a Marlin Bolt action .22 and I've been trying to fit it with a scope...since the receiver is grooved, one would think that this would be easy. One would be SO wrong.

Curved top receiver - rings are mostly flat top...also don't have clearance for the 40mm objective scope that is sold as a ".22 scope".

Anyone have hits for a set of rings for a .22 with a decent fit for this? I've tried Burris and now have the Redfield 'see thru' rings - which I had to file down to fit even a bit - I hope they don't pop off in use! I had to file the cross bolt to allow the clamp to fit down into the grooves.

The receiver is not tapped at all, since it's grooved.

Anyone have any suggestions?

You need tip-off mounts, there is no cross bolt for grooved receivers. Probably gettem at your local Wally World et al.

http://www.theriflescopestore.com/we22timo.html
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #2508
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
You need tip-off mounts, there is no cross bolt for grooved receivers. Probably gettem at your local Wally World et al.

http://www.theriflescopestore.com/we22timo.html
Been Trying everywhere! Thanks for the tip to the scope store, ordered the Weaver Tip-off Bases, which according to their fit chart will work fine for my Marlin 880.

Well, now I have three sets of bases....can't send back the ones I filed.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Old 03-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #2509
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Solved.

Took a chance on a set of "medium" rings by B-square, their number 27054, which is a really good solid mount on the Marlin - The rings actually are curved where they interface with the receiver and they clamp on M-F'in TIGHT. And, they are just tall enough for the 40mm objective scope to clear both the barrel and the bolt. Sigh.

At last! That's three sets of rings tried, and I still have a fourth set in the mail. I'm getting another .22 I'm sure at some point, so spares are good...I suppose.

Thanks Sports Authority for having these in stock.

Now I want to go to the range...right now.

Sigh.

I can, you know.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #2510
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Solved.

Took a chance on a set of "medium" rings by B-square, their number 27054, which is a really good solid mount on the Marlin - The rings actually are curved where they interface with the receiver and they clamp on M-F'in TIGHT. And, they are just tall enough for the 40mm objective scope to clear both the barrel and the bolt. Sigh.

At last! That's three sets of rings tried, and I still have a fourth set in the mail. I'm getting another .22 I'm sure at some point, so spares are good...I suppose.

Thanks Sports Authority for having these in stock.

Now I want to go to the range...right now.

Sigh.

I can, you know.
There ya go. I think tip-off mounts may have been the trade name of the weaver brand rings. This type of scope ring won't have a cross bolt like typical weaver type rings, just the clamps that grab the dovetail groove that you find on run of the mill .22 rifles and airguns. Happy shooting!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #2511
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
There ya go. I think tip-off mounts may have been the trade name of the weaver brand rings. This type of scope ring won't have a cross bolt like typical weaver type rings, just the clamps that grab the dovetail groove that you find on run of the mill .22 rifles and airguns. Happy shooting!
Gee, I'd forgotten just how much fun a scope equipped .22 IS, particuarly a high power scope like the 3-9x that I put on the Marlin.

I went to the range, put up a couple of targets at 25 and 50, then pulled the bolt and sighted via barrel and started at 25 yards. Took 7 shots to center at 25 yards and another 5 at 50 yards, then it was game on.

OK, the Bullet Drop compensator is totally bullshit, but once I got it taped, the Marlin 880 is quite accurate - 5 shots at 25 yards covered by a quarter, 5 at 50 yards not too much bigger than that.

And best of all, about $8 of ammo for an afternoon - shucks two magazines in the .40 is $8. What a deal.

Maybe I don't need a 10/.22 after all - this Marlin is quite nice with a good scope on it.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #2512
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,524
Quote:
Gee, I'd forgotten just how much fun a scope equipped .22 IS, particuarly a high power scope like the 3-9x that I put on the Marlin.

I went to the range, put up a couple of targets at 25 and 50, then pulled the bolt and sighted via barrel and started at 25 yards. Took 7 shots to center at 25 yards and another 5 at 50 yards, then it was game on.

OK, the Bullet Drop compensator is totally bullshit, but once I got it taped, the Marlin 880 is quite accurate - 5 shots at 25 yards covered by a quarter, 5 at 50 yards not too much bigger than that.

And best of all, about $8 of ammo for an afternoon - shucks two magazines in the .40 is $8. What a deal.

Maybe I don't need a 10/.22 after all - this Marlin is quite nice with a good scope on it.
This is the reason why I purchased a 10/22 and a P22 in the last 3 months.

Total bonus that they are fun as hell to shoot. I 350 rounds in a range day? No problem with the .22.....almost 200 bucks with the .40cal/shotgun slugs.

Regarding the 10/22, my previous rifle was a .223 bolt-action Savage. Fun, but there's something about a semi-auto that's on another level of awesome.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #2513
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,057
Quote:
I have a 6 x 18 on my 10/22 Sure it's overkill, but it makes 100 yard shooting comparatively easy.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #2514
schlitz
the slow one

Oddometer: 94

Just ordered one of these for the marlin 60. It's a 3-9x. Nothin fancy.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #2515
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I have a 6 x 18 on my 10/22 Sure it's overkill, but it makes 100 yard shooting comparatively easy.
I run 4-14x on both of my 10/22s. I shoot steel out to 400yds with them, but at that range, it's more like artillery.

*POP*

*ting*
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #2516
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Hey, here's some art: Hope these photos are not too huge.

The upgraded Marlin 880 - I was trying to remember exactly when I bought this - it was purchased for my son back when he was, I think 12 or 13, which means 17-18 years ago - I long ago traded him for it, giving my 10/.22 in trade - he's still shooting that one - it's got a $19 Tasco 4x scope on it.

25 yards, can cover this 5 shot group with a quarter:

Adjusting for the recommended 50 yards:

Moving to 100 yards, it's apparent the BDC ain't so great...

And to 150 - not point of aim at top of the green with the 150 yard dot...the BDC is not working very well.

Hey, I already owned the rifle, so my added cost was a decent scope and four sets of rings...not bad. Winchester Super X 40 grain ammo, by the way.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #2517
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,524
Well my 10/22 build is finished......for now. Might do a barrel swap and some trigger work in the future, but after a dozen thousand rounds or so through this setup.

Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:46 AM   #2518
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Well my 10/22 build is finished......for now. Might do a barrel swap and some trigger work in the future, but after a dozen thousand rounds or so through this setup.

Nice! What stock is that?
Old 03-13-2013, 04:05 AM   #2519
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,123
Quote:
Scopes are great fun...to a point I have found out. I currently have a 24 power scope on my silhouette rifle....and it is a bit heavy.....sure is fun tho.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:14 AM   #2520
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,123
I (actually the wife bought it) bought a second neos....we are playing with that little gun so much we (that would be I) got tired of swapping the silly thing back and fourth from carbine to pistol. It is not that hard to do mind you, but I am one lazy bastard....so she bought another one.

I really like that little star trek lookin thing....so far both have run on every ammo we have fed it execpt sub sonic rounds.

On a second note the GSG STG44 continues to impress....I am really amazed just how accurate it is....I am also in shock how heavy the thing is....I bet it weighs as much as a Garand. I have had a few FTF and FTE...with also a few that will not fire....all with different ammo brands. It might get better as more ammo gets run in it, or it could be just the nature of 22 ammo bulk ammo these days. I did run about 2 mags of CCI in it and did not have a problem...so far I love everything about the gun execpt for two things....the weight (yea I know it is suppose to be just like the real deal) and the plastic magazine.....if I wanted plastic I would have bought a glock.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: