Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #2536
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post

....but if I could walk out of my house with only one 22 rifle it would not be the Ruger....for me the rifle I would take would be this one:

NICE! I wanted one of those so bad back in the '60s from reading all the ads in "BOY'S LIFE" magazine.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:21 AM   #2537
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,825
I also got to send a little more time with the GSG Stg44, I am still liking it quite a bit....and in shooting the bulk wally world ammo I am not having any more problems with it over any other gun. The only thing I really don't like about it is the plastic magazine and the heavy weight. The groups (when I shoot at paper with the thing) are getting better, and it is really doing a number on old dog food cans and tomato past cans. I don't think it will ever be something that will pop golf balls at 50+ yards, but around 25 you can hit anything you aim at without much problem....till my arm gives out...it is flippin heavy.

I also took out the old Colt Pre-woodsman....it is a woodsman before they started printing woodsman on them...1920's or so. It only gets sub sonic ammo, and is a very nice looking gun, and a great shooter. I have looked at a few High Standards in the past and think I will pick up the next one I come across that is in nice shape. That old woodsman shoots better than my friends S&W 41 in my hands...he can shoot both real well but I can't hit crap with the 41...it is just too big for my hands, something I have a problem with all the smith .22 auto hand guns...my hands are just too small and thin to be confortable with....I get a better grip on a 1911 over a 41.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #2538
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
NICE! I wanted one of those so bad back in the '60s from reading all the ads in "BOY'S LIFE" magazine.
Right now if I want to just go out and have fun I take the 66, it really is so light..I have air rifles that are more heavy.

They are a little odd to take all apart. If you really want one and don't have a lot of money and still want one look for a CBC....they are made after remington sold the design to Brazil....the gun is still the same really, and are real easy to tell apart....they will not say nylon 66 into the black plastic under the gun....I have one of each and both shoot fantastic.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #2539
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
If you really want one and don't have a lot of money and still want one look for a CBC....they are made after remington sold the design to Brazil....the gun is still the same really, both shoot fantastic.
Thanks for that tid-bit. I thought I found a used 66 at the LGS and got really excited, but it was a 77. Probably the same workings, but I just hate the magazine sticking out the bottom.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #2540
MotoChris521
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Thanks for that tid-bit. I thought I found a used 66 at the LGS and got really excited, but it was a 77. Probably the same workings, but I just hate the magazine sticking out the bottom.
What's the capacity on a 66 ?
I've had my 77 for over 40 years and it's a blast to shoot.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:32 AM   #2541
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I've got the itch for a new toy and can't decide between buying a new semiauto target pistol or upgrading my old Ruger Mark II bull barrel pistol (most likely Volquartsen trigger assembly, grips, extended mag release, Williams sights) and whatever else I come across. Upgrading is certainly cheaper, but don't want to do that, be unhappy and spend more on a new one anyway.
So in short, get a nice out of the box target gun or mess with what I already have?
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #2542
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoChris521 View Post
What's the capacity on a 66 ?
I've had my 77 for over 40 years and it's a blast to shoot.
14 .22LR I believe, maybe 15 if you chamber one first.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #2543
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppFan View Post
I've got the itch for a new toy and can't decide between buying a new semiauto target pistol or upgrading my old Ruger Mark II bull barrel pistol (most likely Volquartsen trigger assembly, grips, extended mag release, Williams sights) and whatever else I come across. Upgrading is certainly cheaper, but don't want to do that, be unhappy and spend more on a new one anyway.
So in short, get a nice out of the box target gun or mess with what I already have?
I have always been one that if I like what I have I will not mess with it. If you are in a position to get another I would just do that.

IMHO the best NEW target mass market 22 is the model 41...but like I talked about before they don't fit everyone.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #2544
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
This thread is making me want to get a .22 pistol and rifle combo. I've been shooting a bunch of 9mm and .308 lately and it's just getting stupid expensive and hard to find ammo[e]. I think moving to a .22 platform for both would be good, and would allow me and the wife to practice a bunch without spending a bunch.

What do y'all think would be the best .22 pistol and rifle combo? I'm not looking to win any national matches or anything - I just want to keep shooting and maintain skills (breathe, relax, aim, squeeze) without it costing $1 per round... I'm not a hunter, I just like shooting.
Consider 22 WMR (22 Magnum)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Win...Magnum_Rimfire

Quote from:
http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/...ong-as-a-bull/

"
For many years, I have recommended .22-chambered revolvers and autopistols for people who are recoil adverse or can’t practice sufficiently with harder-recoiling centerfire arms.

And, .22 ammunition is cheaper, which allows for lots of practice. High-velocity hollow points, especially in .22 Mag., have more stopping power than .38 Special roundnose slugs.

Chambering these revolvers in .22 provides another advantage over their centerfire brethren: more rounds in the cylinder.
"

George

Plug and Plug.
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #2545
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,897
Another excellent rifle choice, adapted to our more anti gun, PC correct world, is the Marlin Papoose 70PSS. This is an inexpensive take down stainless .22 rifle with plastic stock based on the venerable Model 60 action.

It is small enough to fit in a back pack and not shout "hey, I got a gun", and is accurate and dependable. Stainless is of course a plus for those inclined to not be so quick on the trigger when it comes to cleaning and maintenance, or when subjected to the elements, or life on a boat. And at 3.25 lbs, is easy to carry, and comes with a case that will float it.

If you ever had an AR-7, made by 5 different manufacturers who couldn't get it to work reliably, this is like that, except it works.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...ding/70pss.asp

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #2546
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppFan View Post
If it was me, and I had the itch for a new toy, I'd get a new toy. Nothing wrong with an S&W model 41, other than price. I prefer the High Standard Trophy and Citation, IMO better than the 41 and a bit cheaper.

The Browning Buckmark is a great gun and very inexpensive compared to the S&W or the H-S.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper

Andyinhilo screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 05:31 PM
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #2547
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Another excellent rifle choice, adapted to our more anti gun, PC correct world, is the Marlin Papoose 70PSS. This is an inexpensive take down stainless .22 rifle with plastic stock based on the venerable Model 60 action.

It is small enough to fit in a back pack and not shout "hey, I got a gun", and is accurate and dependable. Stainless is of course a plus for those inclined to not be so quick on the trigger when it comes to cleaning and maintenance, or when subjected to the elements, or life on a boat. And at 3.25 lbs, is easy to carry, and comes with a case that will float it.

If you ever had an AR-7, made by 5 different manufacturers who couldn't get it to work reliably, this is like that, except it works.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...ding/70pss.asp
The Papoose is indeed a great little gun. I did not know that they were still being made.

A good companion gun to that would be the SS Colt .22 auto (sometimes called the Cadet), If you can find one. I got one when they first came out and it is a neat little gun, dependable and quite accurate.

Any of you guys have one?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Old 03-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #2548
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,452
Like this one?

1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #2549
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP View Post
Like this one?

Yep. Mine is a 4" with fixed sights. How does yours shoot?

Andyinhilo screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 05:29 PM
Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #2550
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
Yep. Mine is a 4" with fixed sights. How does yours shoot?
I find it quite accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. Now the only problem is finding enough ammo.
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: