User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 122 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #2581
2twisted
GoodNYou

Oddometer: 2,864
^^^^ Great story, thanks for sharing and a really cool gun !
2twisted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #2582
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,859
Nice little piece of history.

Colt is likely moving outta Hartford soon. CT legislature voting today on the most restrictive gun laws in the nation.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #2583
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382

My Dad had one of these and it was the first semi automatic pistol I ever shot. It was "borrowed" by one of his brothers after he died and I never saw the gun after that. Sure wish I had it today.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #2584
Dr Klaun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker View Post
As the old saying goes, "They don't make 'em like this anymore."

I've got a High Standard Model A that looks very similar from 1939 that was my grandfathers. A very smooth gun. Mine likes the low velocity rounds vs. the newer HV stuff.

96 R1100RSL (red)
08 TE610
Dr Klaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #2585
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
Some of my favorite rimfires:

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #2586
Bigfeet428
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
Got one/shot one? How clear is it?
Don't have an APV but I do have an Eradicator in silver and like it allot, very clear. I may move it to my 22 hornet and buy an APV for my 10/22. Have never heard a bad report on them.
Bigfeet428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #2587
BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,781
TexBiker,
That is a very, very nice gun! What a beauty, when guns have a history it makes them all the more special. I hope you and your family enjoy it.

Bob

BOBaloo22 screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 06:15 AM
BOBaloo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:47 AM   #2588
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,531
Quote:
I've been helping a local elderly couple for several years. Mainly just little chores around their house like changing light bulbs or moving furniture/appliances on occasion. In return, they've shared pies, briskets, and vegetables from their garden with my family. They recently had a party for their 70th wedding anniversary and it was a small affair. They've outlived most of their friends and family, including 4 of their 5 children, so it was mostly just a few neighbors. After it was over, I was rounding up my kids when the man called me back into the house. He had a small cardboard box in his hand and said he wanted me to have it. It was an old Colt Woodsman. His father had bought it for him when he was in grade school and he used it to keep the squirrels out of their pecan orchards. He hasn't shot it since the 50's, but he took it out of the drawer every year or so and wiped it down with oil. He knew I liked to shoot and thought it would be a good starter gun for my kids one day. He wouldn't accept any money, but he asked me make sure it the boys took good care of it and to try and keep it in the family if I could.

I just got a chance to take a good look at it and it's a very nice little pistol. Manufacture date is 11/18/1931. Still has the original factory test target and manuals. The box is falling apart, but it's an interesting piece of history in itself. The fit and finish of the pistol is very nice. Very, very smooth and the trigger is much crisper than my 90's era Buckmarks. I've only had time to run one magazine of .22LR through it and it was flawless. At 50', it outshot those Brownings, as well.

That is beautiful, I'd say he must think very highly of you to hand that down to your family.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #2589
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
I've been helping a local elderly couple for several years. Mainly just little chores around their house like changing light bulbs or moving furniture/appliances on occasion. In return, they've shared pies, briskets, and vegetables from their garden with my family. They recently had a party for their 70th wedding anniversary and it was a small affair. They've outlived most of their friends and family, including 4 of their 5 children, so it was mostly just a few neighbors. After it was over, I was rounding up my kids when the man called me back into the house. He had a small cardboard box in his hand and said he wanted me to have it. It was an old Colt Woodsman. His father had bought it for him when he was in grade school and he used it to keep the squirrels out of their pecan orchards. He hasn't shot it since the 50's, but he took it out of the drawer every year or so and wiped it down with oil. He knew I liked to shoot and thought it would be a good starter gun for my kids one day. He wouldn't accept any money, but he asked me make sure it the boys took good care of it and to try and keep it in the family if I could.

I just got a chance to take a good look at it and it's a very nice little pistol. Manufacture date is 11/18/1931. Still has the original factory test target and manuals. The box is falling apart, but it's an interesting piece of history in itself. The fit and finish of the pistol is very nice. Very, very smooth and the trigger is much crisper than my 90's era Buckmarks. I've only had time to run one magazine of .22LR through it and it was flawless. At 50', it outshot those Brownings, as well.

Wow. What goes around comes around...good on you!
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #2590
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
The woodsman is a fantastic pistol....take care in shooting it however....some needed upgrades (springs and such) to fire modern ammo. I have a pre-woodsman...colt made the guns for a time without "the woodsman" printed on the side...they are usually called pre woodsman, but they are the same gun....in my gun I only shoot sub sonics in it....be careful you can damage it even shooting standard vel. 22 ammo if it has not been upgraded.

There are also several different series of the gun, and while a mag may from a series 3 will fit in a series 1, it will not work real well....you can usually tell the different series of mags by looking at the very top...some have little fingers, as well as a few other changes.

This and things like high standards are just of such high quality...nothing modern can come close to these.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #2591
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
That is beautiful, I'd say he must think very highly of you to hand that down to your family.
Absolutely.

I first had sex at the age of 13. However, my butt hurt so bad I never did it again.
- Mista Vern
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #2592
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,467
22lr ammo

I may have found some online.

Belay that, they are out too.

Off the grid screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 11:07 PM Reason: Didn't find any ammo after all....
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #2593
jecyammy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
My ultralight rimfire

My lightweight 10/22 plinker, for wandering the woods hunting pine cones and pop cans, and maybe the occasional 4-legged or winged target. Pretty much gutted and rebuilt with aftermarket goodies to minimize weight for all day toting: Barrel - Magnum Research MagnumLite Carbon Fiber barrel. Stock - Choate pistol grip, I skeletonized the butt, and chopped & filled in the fore end, then painted with Krylon “Make It Stone” spray paint in blue Lapis (weird name, decent color). Trigger Group: Clark Custom Upgrade from Magnum Research - Deluxe Trigger Kit, Tuned Extractor and Bolt Release. Thanks to a mixup on the part of MR or the distributor when I purchased the gun, it came with the Clark Upgrade when I didn’t order it, so my local gun shop gave it to me at no charge. Bolt reworked and various aftermarket internals added. Bedded the receiver block and 2 inches of barrel bedded with epoxy putty. 3 pounds 11 ounces, and more accurate than I'll ever be.
jecyammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #2594
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,411
I was at my ammo dealer this weekend, He had a video playing from CCI about how they make rimfire rounds. Then I heard what the daily production numbers were......

7 million rounds per day

I did a search of all ammo manufacturers, they are near 1 billion rounds per week for all calibers.

And I can not find a single round

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #2595
mattlikesbikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecyammy View Post

My lightweight 10/22 plinker, for wandering the woods hunting pine cones and pop cans, and maybe the occasional 4-legged or winged target. Pretty much gutted and rebuilt with aftermarket goodies to minimize weight for all day toting: Barrel - Magnum Research MagnumLite Carbon Fiber barrel. Stock - Choate pistol grip, I skeletonized the butt, and chopped & filled in the fore end, then painted with Krylon “Make It Stone” spray paint in blue Lapis (weird name, decent color). Trigger Group: Clark Custom Upgrade from Magnum Research - Deluxe Trigger Kit, Tuned Extractor and Bolt Release. Thanks to a mixup on the part of MR or the distributor when I purchased the gun, it came with the Clark Upgrade when I didn’t order it, so my local gun shop gave it to me at no charge. Bolt reworked and various aftermarket internals added. Bedded the receiver block and 2 inches of barrel bedded with epoxy putty. 3 pounds 11 ounces, and more accurate than I'll ever be.
That barrel is sweet. I sort of wish I had gone that route. My Green Mountain 18" Bull is almost too heavy to carry. Granted the gun is scary accurate, but if you cannot shoulder it to knock rats out of the tree, what good is it.

I'd love to see a long term review on the barrel and how well the gun stays true. With a heavy gun like mine I think it would take a seerious beating to knock it out of alignment.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: