User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #2701
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,568
Got a scope a bit more in proportion to the Ruger 10/22 Takedown. It's a Leapers 3-9x32 Bug Buster. It comes with quick release mounts. It uses a mildot reticle which I'm not crazy about on a .22LR - I don't see the point for a squirrel gun that'll rarely shoot past 50 yards. I'd prefer simple, thin crosshairs but I still like the scope.

I zeroed the scope then repeated my test of teardown/reassembly and shooting groups. All groups were cloverleafs and maintained POI at 25 yards using bulk ammo. Then I put on the sling and shot a few groups standing and got 1" at 25 yards. The sling lowered the POI by about 2", so I had to adjust the scope.

Interestingly, I tested the theory that slingshotting the bolt helps re-zero the gun after reassembly and sure enough if I didn't sling it a few times I'd get a flier on the first shot. Who'd have thought reading the Ruger manual would be worthwhile?

PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #2702
Wingnut037
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 261
Stopped by the CMP Southern store today on a cross country trip to pick out an 82g. Between the nasty storms in DFW and road closures from accidents we squeaked in to get a gun with 15 minutes before closing. No time for pictures as the background check lady informed us the doors were getting locked at 3pm, and she was not joking. At 3:01 she was in her car leaving. The rest of the staff were super helpful. Got a beauty and it will be shipped to my house for half of what the tax would of been to take it home. Cannot wait to shoot it, as long as I can find ammo(es) to feed it.
Wingnut037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #2703
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Took another trip to the range with my 22/45 lite. Such a fantastic pistol. My not so local, but worth the drive, range has a nice steel target setup for .22 pistols. Put a lot of ammoe through her and she worjed like a champ. So glad I paid the premium price that it cost over the other Ruger MK piatols and the neos. My hands are just too big for the neos, and the other Rugers weigh too much.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
Old 05-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #2704
husqzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
I never thought I'd see a handgun that was so ugly, so obtuse, that I'd not want to even shoot it, let alone own it. Well it is here. Feast thine eyes on this puppy:

More here: http://zipfactory.com/
husqzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #2705
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by husqzilla View Post
I never thought I'd see a handgun that was so ugly, so obtuse, that I'd not want to even shoot it, let alone own it. Well it is here. Feast thine eyes on this puppy:

well its a first for me too, i cant make out where/how youre supposed to hold it?

it reminds me of one of those plastic toy BB guns that are caricatures of real guns eg M16/AK?
Old 05-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #2706
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
well its a first for me too, i cant make out where/how youre supposed to hold it?

it reminds me of one of those plastic toy BB guns that are caricatures of real guns eg M16/AK?
I was similarly confused about shooting it....there is a video and you can see it...The REALLY bizarre bit was where they had it hooked onto different military weapons, and were shooting both at the same time..
Ed@Ford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #2707
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Oddometer: 955
Picked up a 452 lux to keep my full stock company
Old 05-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #2708
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
One of the best parts of the Ruger MK pistols is the limitless aftermarket for them.

Installed the hammer bushing so I no longer have to have the mag in it to dry fire. Makes it easier to strip down. Have a pac lite compensator on the way, and hoping to get the volquartson trigger parts to really make it awesome.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
Old 05-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #2709
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by husqzilla View Post

Does that come with a cardboard cutout of Michael Bey? "As seen in Transformers!!!!"

Wow. Makes my Browning Hi Power look like a fucking Piccaso.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #2710
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 13,094
Midway currently having a closeout special on Caldwell motorized "Shootin' Gallery" targets

here: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/897...tNum=104213167

I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #2711
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,775
Recently picked up 1k rounds of subsonic hollow point ammoes and was messing around at the range yesterday with them......I noticed that the subsonic seemed to hit harder than the standard, 1300+ FPS ammoes.....it left larger holes in cans and much bigger splintering and exit holes in wood.

Is there any legitimacy to this or is it in my head? How does the mechanics/physics of a slower ammoe allow it to hit harder if so?

Thanks!
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #2712
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Recently picked up 1k rounds of subsonic hollow point ammoes and was messing around at the range yesterday with them......I noticed that the subsonic seemed to hit harder than the standard, 1300+ FPS ammoes.....it left larger holes in cans and much bigger splintering and exit holes in wood.

Is there any legitimacy to this or is it in my head? How does the mechanics/physics of a slower ammoe allow it to hit harder if so?

Thanks!
I would test both types of rounds in a ballistic gelatin.

I think there you'd see that the slower speed may allow it to tumble/splinter earlier - which inhibits penetration even if the speed didn't... where-as the higher speed penetrates farther in before hitting the same (i.e. splintering/expanding and transferring its energy).

Through some thin media the faster bullet just passes right through without transferring as much energy. It's kind of like that table-cloth trick where if you pull it fast enough the shit sits on the table.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #2713
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I would test both types of rounds in a ballistic gelatin.

I think there you'd see that the slower speed may allow it to tumble/splinter earlier - which inhibits penetration even if the speed didn't... where-as the higher speed penetrates farther in before hitting the same (i.e. splintering/expanding and transferring its energy).

Through some thin media the faster bullet just passes right through without transferring as much energy. It's kind of like that table-cloth trick where if you pull it fast enough the shit sits on the table.
I was thinking about energy transference and the tumble effect, but the wood I was shooting through was not wussy stuff...it was 1 inch oak/maple. (an old side tabletop, in this case)
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #2714
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post

Thanks!
Is the bullet significantly heavier? You can get the same energy from a heavy slow projectile as you can from a fast light one. The ballistics and range are totally different, but energy can be close.
E=mc² and all that.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #2715
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
and dont forget a hollow point will try and give up more energy than a conical bullet on impact.
the faster bullet may carry loads more muzzle energy but it just drills holes through the target without losing any of it, hence the nice neat holes verses ragged holes.
push a pencil sharp end 1st through a soda can, then the blunt end with the same force. what happens?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: