Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #841
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
99% of intruders would be disuaded from entering your house by being shot with a pellet gun never mind a 22. That being said my local shop has a gently used model 41 for 795 or best offer. Ever since stupid Hard Case started talking about them I've been wanting one more and more... stupid Hard Case is talking me into a model 41 I better talk him into buying an SR9... go buy an SR9!
I agree with you in reality. I was talking more about perceived view of a .22lr verses a 1911. That perceived value has a correlation, or seems to, between the amount people are willing to pay for a .22 verses a .45ACP.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #842
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
I agree with you in reality. I was talking more about perceived view of a .22lr verses a 1911. That perceived value has a correlation, or seems to, between the amount people are willing to pay for a .22 verses a .45ACP.
I started shooting more and more .22 not only for cost but for lack of good places to shoot ear me. No one had any range that stretched out past 100 yards and that one was 45 minutes away. No need for rifles capable of long ranges. All the near by ranges are indoor and they are all 30 yards or so. It was more challenging to shoot a small bore off hand than to shoot centerfire at short ranges.

I got wind of a new range about 30 minutes down the road that has pistol pits, 50 yard, 100 yard, and 200 yard lanes with nice new solid benches. I may have to start getting a few more rifles once I check it out.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #843
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
Ever spent any time with a High Standard Citation or Trophy Military Grip? I used to think that the 41 was the best, but I really think that it takes a backseat to one of these. And you can get a standard grade Trophy for $845.00, and the premium 10X Citation for $1095.00. The 41 now retails for $1139.00.

But you are right, why would you willingly pay that much for a basic 1911, and not for a top flight 22??
I used to compete (NRA Standard Pistol), with a Citation (Hamden, CT. built). Nice piece, but not on the level of the 41 I traded it for. I started out with a cheap-o Browning Buckmark which was reliable, but had a lousy trigger for precision shooting and was just not competitive for numerous reasons. Moved up through the High Standards and ended up with the 41. My 41 had a trigger that was "glass". It was almost as good as my Anschutz 1413 Super Match target rifle. Enough said on that!!

I also started out with a Colt Gold Cup 80 which was a waste of money. Had a good pistol wrench do a trigger mod., slide/bushing fit, barrel upgrade, tuner rib, etc., and the thing was decent. I'd do a "frame up build", if I wanted to compete in the future.

The High Standards are good. If I decide to get back into a competition .22 handgun, I'd probably take a long look at the Italian stuff, along with the used S&W 41 market.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #844
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
99% of intruders would be disuaded from entering your house by being shot with a pellet gun never mind a 22. That being said my local shop has a gently used model 41 for 795 or best offer. Ever since stupid Hard Case started talking about them I've been wanting one more and more... stupid Hard Case is talking me into a model 41 I better talk him into buying an SR9... go buy an SR9!
Jeebus, Achtung, I think I'd hustle my buns down to that shop first thing tomorrow and make an offer on that 41!! Only thing you might not like about it is that it isn't a Ruger!! That OBO thing is always tricky though. I'm thinking if you offered $700 - 725 you might buy it! What barrel length is it? Most of the ones I've seen in recent years are the 5 1/2" but I know that 7" guns are still being made too.

I'm seriously thinking about that SR9c.....it's the compact version. AZstrommer has one and did a nice write-up on it in the "I love this gun thread".

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:23 AM   #845
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
A couple of rimfires

All this talk of Model 41s and Citations prompted me to take some pics for posting. Here is my Citation:

And a couple of my favorite rimfires, A Model 18 and a Model 34 snubby:

And not really a favorite, but somewhat collectible, my PPK/S .22:

And my Colt 22. I got this one as an understudy gun for the POS Glock that I am forced to carry on duty, as the feel and trigger are similar. The big difference is that this one is accurate and reliable. None of the Glocks I have been issued have been either.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #846
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Nice handguns, Andyinhilo.

Surprised your Glock isn't reliable. I have a 19 and 26 and they've never malfunctioned. If it's your duty gun, have the thing looked at, man! I'd be a sqeaky wheel on this. That thing has to go bang 'til the slide locks back, then do it again and again and again.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #847
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog View Post
Nice handguns, Andyinhilo.

Surprised your Glock isn't reliable. I have a 19 and 26 and they've never malfunctioned. If it's your duty gun, have the thing looked at, man! I'd be a sqeaky wheel on this. That thing has to go bang 'til the slide locks back, then do it again and again and again.
I've been issued three different Glocks, a 17 and 2 22s. All have broken parts and had "unexplainable" misfires. Usually worse after a so-called factory trained armorer tries to fix them. It really makes you practice the old "tap-rack-bang (or click).
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Old 03-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #848
HardCase
winter is coming

Some sweet guns there, Andy. I'm betting that Citation is a joy to shoot.

Okay, here's a little 41 pictorial essay. My father (died in 2007) purchased this 41 new in roughly 1959 or 1960. It has a serial number in the 4000s and I'm not sure of its year-of-manufacture, but the model was introduced in '57 so I'm betting this one was made a year or two after that. It has the 7" barrel with a detachable comp. I believe that the early ones were all of this configuration and the 5 1/2" ones came along a few years later. Anyway, dad loved this gun, shot thousands of rounds through it and did in hundreds of gophers. I got out of the Army in the spring of '72 and was living at home before starting school that fall, so signed up for a few goof-off classes at the local community college, stuff like photography, ceramics, and a course offered called "pistolry" which was basically small-bore bullseye shooting. I didn't have a .22 handgun, so dad let me use this one. The instructor was very impressed, and I did well in the class. Here she is:

I thought that some pics of the holster might be of interest. A guy named Pink was a friend of dad, he was LEO and later became sheriff of a neighboring county. He loved the 41 and made and gave dad the holster for his birthday in 1961. I was a kid and used to stare at that holster and study all of the "art" etched into it.

I've not shot the gun since the summer of '72. Dad used it for years. I bought my own, a 5 1/2", in the late '70s based on my experiences with this one. I'll have to take this baby out this summer and run a few boxes through it for old times.

Hard cases make bad law.

HardCase screwed with this post 03-19-2011 at 01:10 PM
Old 03-20-2011, 07:35 AM   #849
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Thats a great holster and a really nice gun. Its very cool that you have that. As I've said before a model 41 is on my short list, of course I've bought three guns in the last year and I haven't bought a single pair of pants in 5 so it may be time to prioritise. I'll keep plinking with the mk 1 and someday down the road I'll grab one of those.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #850
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Good looking 41. Have you fired it without the muzzle break? The one on my Citation is of dubious value, given the gun's weight, it hardly recoils anyway. A pal gave it to me, and it looks different, anyway.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #851
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Good looking 41. Have you fired it without the muzzle break? The one on my Citation is of dubious value, given the gun's weight, it hardly recoils anyway. A pal gave it to me, and it looks different, anyway.
No, my dad always left the muzzle break on just because that's the way it came. When I took the class with it in '72 I just left it there as well. I've never even tried taking it off, it looks like it just attaches with a single screw however.

Achtung, the Ruger Mk 1 is a fine plinker, and can even do respectably well for target shooting if it has decent sights. No real need for a 41 unless a guy was going to get into fairly serious bullseye competition. I suppose the real "need" for most guns is debatable/dubious at best, but we still buy them!!

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #852
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
All this talk of Model 41s and Citations prompted me to take some pics for posting. Here is my Citation:

And not really a favorite, but somewhat collectible, my PPK/S .22:

And my Colt 22. I got this one as an understudy gun for the POS Glock that I am forced to carry on duty, as the feel and trigger are similar. The big difference is that this one is accurate and reliable. None of the Glocks I have been issued have been either.

I'm looking for the PPKish ERMA .22, saw an Ivar-Johnson at the gun show (rebadged ERMA?) but the huge stampings on a small gun ruined it.

Love the Colt Cadet(?), looked for a decent deal for years and finally bought a Neos because I like the similar grip angle.

Nice collection Andy, color me jealous.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #853
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
is .22 short any use for anything but knocking metal ducks over at the fairground?
dont hear much mention of it these days.........
Old 03-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #854
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
is .22 short any use for anything but knocking metal ducks over at the fairground?
I've heard of a lot of folks using .22 CB shorts for pest control.

(all be it, illegally)

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #855
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
I haven't seen a carnival shooting gallery that used real boolits, even .22 Short, in a very long time. I suspect that potential/real liability issues, not to mention new gaming technology, have made them pretty obsolete, at least in the USofA.

As EvilGenius said, they are sometimes used for pest control. And I have known a few guys who have jury-rigged indoor ranges in their homes/basements who use them. You'll still see a few on shop shelves.

Hard cases make bad law.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: