ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #46
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,520
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett
So the question is, does either OZtopo or Garmin TOPO maps show minor tracks and trails above the 700m zoom level.

City Nav version 7 that I have plus later versions I think show no minor track detail above 700M (regardless of detail settings). This means you have to zoom right in to see if any tracks exist! It drives me absolutly crazy especially when using the gpsmap 60cx etc as you have to zoom in so far and then slowy scroll around to find what tracks are around you..

Hope this makes sense to people and I have not completly gone insane...
Howdy Bennet,
I had the same problem and it drove me nuts too. I solved it by downloading (and it's free) tracks4australia and adding that to my mapset.
It allows you to zoom out ad infinitum and still get the big picture. It came in very handy in the outback when we needed to orient ourselves in the big scheme of things, and gave us confidence we weren't hopelessly lost in the Darling Anabranch. It fills the gap that the others don't.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:01 AM   #47
AdventureXR650
Esquire

Oddometer: 147
Cool2 OZTopo V2.1

I use the OZTopo and even zoomed out to 3km I can see walking tracks and trails in the 'big picture'. See page 2 of this thread where I've done a screen dump showing trails at about 3k scale.
AXR
AdventureXR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #48
af300e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
I'm running oztopo v2b (i think) and until yesterday I didn't realise it had good waterway coverage. The reason for this is that I usually run the GPS (276c) at 2 or 3km zoom level and whilst this displays even the smallest tracks, the waterways don't come in until 800m. Yesterday we got to a tricky water crossing that I assumed wasn't marked but when I zoomed in to find the intricasies of the track the river appeared.

Try as I might, I cannot get the rivers to display at anything higher than 800m. 2km would be nice, 3km would be perfect. I've tried all the settings that make sense but they don't seem to help.

Help?

Thanks in advance
af300e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #49
GodSilla
I did that.

It's the coding of the OZTopo mapsets that determines at what zoom level stuff gets displayed, largely. There are some "detail" level setting on the GPS as well usually, I set mine to highest detail, but zoom out a bit and stuff still just vanishes. I asked about this and was told that the map software is coded the way it is because particularly in populated areas the screen would utterly clog with roads and tracks at even low zoom levels, affecting the ability of the units to redraw in any sort of timely manner and presenting a useless mono-coloured blob, instead of readable roads and such. Fair call I suppose, but zooming out on OZTopo for a big-picture view in the outback leaves me with a blank screen very quickly, hence the need for Tracks4Australia, which is most useful in remote areas for big-picture stuff.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #50
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Brian from GPSoz has said that there will be greater detail at lower zoom in the fabled and perhaps legendary V3 release due out in June 2009, oops september 2009, oops February 2010, oops some time soon

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #51
GodSilla
I did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureXR650
I use the OZTopo and even zoomed out to 3km I can see walking tracks and trails in the 'big picture'. See page 2 of this thread where I've done a screen dump showing trails at about 3k scale.
AXR
Mine is set to highest detail and after 1.2k zoom it loses all details. Dunno why.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:29 AM   #52
gpsoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
The current release date for OZtopo V3 is Sept 1. Yes also most a year late but we have been ambushed by Garmin's changes to their PC software and firmware in their GPS units. So that has taken a lot of time and resources away from getting V3 out. But its back on track (pun intended) and looking great.

New features will include

Updated maps from MDS as of Q2 2010
Addition of CAMPS5 locations
Mountain peaks with heights
Outback features, homestead names, windmills, bores etc
Better zoom/detail levels for GPS and PC use
Mac and windows distribution
New pre loaded SD and micro SD card product
DVD product will still be available but no downloading from PC to GPS units.
SD/mSD card price will be $229 including 2GB card, DVD (for PC use) + postage
Upgrades from any previous version $99 for same GPS unit (new unlock code needed) + Reloading of (m)SD card if requested $30
Future upgrades will also be available for SD/mSD product

So basically it will be a card based product only for easy installation (which will be copy protected). No unlock codes or registration etc will be necessary. DVD will provide the ability to plan trips and view previous track logs on the PC (via mapsource or basecamp). There will be a number of existing V1 & V2 customers that may wish to upgrade to V3 that don't have card based units, eg 60C. We handle these on a case by case scenario.

I don't frequent this forum often so if you have any questions put them here or email sales@gpsoz.com.au

cheers
brian
gpsoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #53
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsoz
So basically it will be a card based product only for easy installation (which will be copy protected). No unlock codes or registration etc will be necessary. DVD will provide the ability to plan trips and view previous track logs on the PC (via mapsource or basecamp).

so does this mean that I will not be able to update my maps on the GPS via USB once V3 is installed from the DVD? I don't want a card based product as my card is full of MP3 and other stuff........

PS I just purchased V2.1 and am eligible for the free upgrade.

cheers

griffo
griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #54
GodSilla
I did that.

Upgrades from any previous version $99 for same GPS unit (new unlock code needed) + Reloading of (m)SD card if requested $30
=========================
Er, question for you Brian.
Reading the above implies that I can get v3 on a microSD card preloaded, and I can also get a DVD to load on the PC to run under Mapsource, but I can't use the PC software to load anything v3 to a microSD card.
Here's the problem. Garmin happily allows me to build a mapset that can include map tiles from various products, the GPS unit understands and supports this and displays them as separate map products, so I have used this standard feature to build a mapset containing maps from 4 different vendors, and this suits my purposes very well, but under the scenario above my microSD card can only contain a full version of oztopo v3, and nothing else. I will lose the ability and functionality of my GPS to have different vendor products available, despite the Garmin unit and the Garmin software supporting this quite openly.
I'm unsure of the logic behind your decision in this regard, but I can tell you now this would be a deal-breaker for me personally, and wil piss a few potential customers right off. I am keen to upgrade to v3, but not if it means I have to ditch 3 other mapsets to enable yours to work.

So, will I still be able to compile a mapset with v3 of OZTopo and include the mapsets from the 3 other vendors, or is it an OZTopo monoculture now? Here's hoping.........
Old 08-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #55
gpsoz
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
=========================
Er, question for you Brian.
Reading the above implies that I can get v3 on a microSD card preloaded, and I can also get a DVD to load on the PC to run under Mapsource, but I can't use the PC software to load anything v3 to a microSD card.
Here's the problem. Garmin happily allows me to build a mapset that can include map tiles from various products, the GPS unit understands and supports this and displays them as separate map products, so I have used this standard feature to build a mapset containing maps from 4 different vendors, and this suits my purposes very well, but under the scenario above my microSD card can only contain a full version of oztopo v3, and nothing else. I will lose the ability and functionality of my GPS to have different vendor products available, despite the Garmin unit and the Garmin software supporting this quite openly.
I'm unsure of the logic behind your decision in this regard, but I can tell you now this would be a deal-breaker for me personally, and wil piss a few potential customers right off. I am keen to upgrade to v3, but not if it means I have to ditch 3 other mapsets to enable yours to work.

So, will I still be able to compile a mapset with v3 of OZTopo and include the mapsets from the 3 other vendors, or is it an OZTopo monoculture now? Here's hoping.........
Well the theory is that most new and late model GPS units have both on board memory and a card slot. eg 62s 1.7GB on board, mSD card slot. Load your map(s) to the on board memory and leave the slot for OZtopo. We may be able to call our maps gmapsup1.img, or you may be able to rename our .img so that you can still have the ability to load stuff from Mapsource (gmapsup.img) - we'll need to test. Limited gps support thou. But its something that we might have to consider. What model GPS are you using?

BTW heard a rumor today that there is NO upgrade option from Topo Aus V2 to Topo Aus V3. Full purchase required. Now wouldn't that p... you off?

cheers
brian
Old 08-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #56
MungoP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
How about upgrading from OZtopo v1 to v3

As John McEnroe said "You can't be serious."

No upgrade means no buy for me.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #57
gpsoz
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MungoP
As John McEnroe said "You can't be serious."

No upgrade means no buy for me.
If we were to offer a cross upgrade, ie trade in your old Topo Australia V2 (send back your DVD or Garmin mSD card) to OZtopo V3 for say $149 would there be any taker? Just thinking out loud.

cheers
brian
Old 08-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #58
GodSilla
I did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsoz
What model GPS are you using?

GPS60CSx, so my memory "real estate" is card-based, not internal, and there's a few folks on here right now buying the same model as they are being discounted.

BTW heard a rumor today that there is NO upgrade option from Topo Aus V2 to Topo Aus V3. Full purchase required. Now wouldn't that p... you off?

It would indeed piss me off, if I'd purchased that product. I refuse to buy Garmin maps 'cos I can buy a complete unit, hardware AND CN, for $150, so why would I pay $200 just for CN?

cheers
brian
Thanks for responding Brian. I read the rest of it, and I still don't follow the logic behind your decision though. An assumption that all your existing customers who would wish to upgrade are going to buy new units too is just not reasonable to me (or the customers, I expect). And there's no guarantee either that a new unit with lots of internal memory will be able to run anything other than your product if that's what a user wants to navigate by. It's a bit like a toolbox with just a stanley knife, no good if you need to unscrew something or hammer something. As I said before, I use 4 products and switch between them depending upon my requirement at the time, and this is a MOST useful feature of my GPS, to be able to select the appropriate tool for the situation.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #59
gpsoz
Adventurer

OK let me have another go at explaining where we're going with V3 (and beyond).

First off we have no intention of abandoning customers and we'll certainly work with the ones that have "unique" requirements. We can do this as we are relatively small and those that make decisions can be easily accessed and influenced. (I drink Southern Comfort :-) )

A very large proportion of our customers (and our resellers) want an out of the box solution with maximum flexibility. We at GPSOZ would also like to cut down on the number of support calls we get (this is a good measure of how well we have do in producing the product and documenting its use). These are two major goals of V3. So to address both we concluded that a pre loaded, locked to, mSD card would solve 99% of installation problems. ie no unlock codes, can use card in multiple units etc. We also wanted to provide a solution for those wanting to view maps, plan trips and see where they had been on a PC/MAC, ie transfer routes, tracks and waypoints to and from their PC/MAC. Garmin's MapSource, Basecamp etc are good platforms for doing this so we'll provide a DVD for those that wish to use the above for PC/MAC use. We will not allow downloads of maps to GPS units via the above programs.

Now some existing customers may have a problem with this, ie non card based GPS units (60C etc) or units with small card capacities (276c) and we will work with these customers to come up with a solution for them. We will also offer larger cards eg 4 and 8 mSD cards for those with other requirements, eg MP3 music, additional maps.

Some GPS units (and we need to document and test this) allows multiple maps on units WITHOUT combining them into a single file on the card. So conceptually we can provide a card with a copy of OZtopo V3 on it that also allows a customer to add other maps eg Shonky without risk of damaging the OZtopo maps. This card will then allow the customer to select which maps he or she wishes to use without changing cards.

We are also going to offer card upgrades so if you buy V3 on a preloaded mSD card, then when v4 comes out you'll be able to surrender the V3 card with security seal in tact and a some dollars to get a V4 card.

I think that covers most of your concerns but may also raise other questions so fell free to ask away

Cheers
brian
Old 08-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #60
af300e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
It's all sounding very difficult. I have a 276c, oztopo v2 and the install was simple. For V3 I'll require NASA to customise it all? I quite like V2 and live with it's faults because it has many good points and is a locally based business. But if garmin topo becomes a much much easier option (as is well looking to be the case) then I'll probably not bother with V3.

Will waterways be displayed at up to 3km (the same as minor tracks) in V3? This is a significant issue for me and as the displays of units become larger and better resolution wider zoom levels make sense.
af300e is offline   Reply With Quote