ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #76
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
using the correct part is a distinct possibility, but bodgying something "temporary" that lasts the life of the machine the part is preferable. I've only got 99mph tape (cheap chinese stuff).
fixed

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:52 AM   #77
gpsoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
>On another note, I bought a 60 from GPSOZ, and it never turned on by hand from new

What can I say... Well there is lots of things I can say, but I'm a bloke too and have a few things in exactly the same state!

cheers
brian
gpsoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:40 AM   #78
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,603
I just happened to buy it from your business Brian. It's no reflection on the good service I got from GPSOZ, more of a reflection of my blokey inability to be bothered with returns, given everything worked fine apart from the on/off button.

I'm disappointed with Garmin's idea of customer service in this instance. I know for a fact this problem is systemic in 60 series units, as several mates have them and a straw poll shows a 50% fault rate with the on/off buttons. Another inmate here returned his and got a refurb with a good working button. Wish I'd done the same.

I'd have been happy if Garmin had said, well it's normally $195 for a refurb but since we know they had faults we'll do it for say $50/$75/$100. But no, I got a rather terse and curt response, zero empathy, from the Garmin call centre dude, not a good look in my book. They are good products, but I really think Garmin Australia needs to have a serious look at their telephone staff. This is the second, and lesser, bad experience I've had with them, and I've only had the two.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:33 AM   #79
gpsoz
Adventurer

Try ebaying a broken unit, any 60 model will do as they all have the same top rubber cap. I think the issue is with the MB and the switch being further down the board (or broken) than it should be.

Maybe a new unit is the go.

cheers
brian
Old 09-13-2010, 12:46 AM   #80
rosscoact

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsoz
Try ebaying a broken unit, any 60 model will do as they all have the same top rubber cap. I think the issue is with the MB and the switch being further down the board (or broken) than it should be.

Maybe a new unit is the go.

cheers
brian
But Brian, Tom doesn't own anything new. Even the stuff he gets that hasn't been owned by anyone is old.

On the other hand I'm going to buy a 62s as soon as the mounts and Oztopo3 are available

Old 09-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #81
gpsoz
Adventurer

62 mount, interesting point. Haven't heard any thing from RAM on this which is unusual. Make you wonder if they can make one. Just looking at the unit its going to be a challenge.

BTW GPS screen shots of OZtopo V3 should be up this week. Might even do one on a 62 if you ask nicely!!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:11 AM   #82
rosscoact

Quote:
62 mount, interesting point. Haven't heard any thing from RAM on this which is unusual. Make you wonder if they can make one. Just looking at the unit its going to be a challenge.

BTW GPS screen shots of OZtopo V3 should be up this week. Might even do one on a 62 if you ask nicely!!
brian, someone posted up that Ram US had responded to an enquiry on this and December was the response but that possibly means it's in the to-do list.

And i have looked at the screen shots of OT3 and pretty please with sugar on top could you put up some 62 pics?

BTW, I bought the 60csx from you in January this year after losing the 60cs in December last year. I lost the 60csx off the bike last month because I didn't lock it into the TT mount in the dark.

Can't you make these things last longer?

Old 09-13-2010, 01:34 AM   #83
gpsoz
Adventurer

And i have looked at the screen shots of OT3 and pretty please with sugar on top could you put up some 62 pics?

Done will be up in the next 20 mins
Old 09-30-2010, 01:31 AM   #84
gpsoz
Adventurer

Just doing some playing with Topo Australia V3. For those with Zumo 550's you're out of luck. These units wont read maps larger then 2GB. Topo Aus is 2.8GB on a prelaoded card. All of Australia only via the DVD is 2.3GB

cheers
brian
Old 09-30-2010, 01:42 AM   #85
rosscoact

Quote:
Just doing some playing with Topo Australia V3. For those with Zumo 550's you're out of luck. These units wont read maps larger then 2GB. Topo Aus is 2.8GB on a prelaoded card. All of Australia only via the DVD is 2.3GB

cheers
brian
and......?

Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 AM   #86
gpsoz
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
and......?
ok

if you own a zumo 550 and want to run TopoAustralia V3 you'll have to buy it on DVD and create two SD cards each with less than 1.8GB of mapping on them. You won;t be able to use their preloaded SD card product.

cheers
brian
Old 09-30-2010, 02:43 AM   #87
rosscoact

i was really asking when it gets released?

Old 11-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #88
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
kmz images

Thanks for the great link. I have now added a raster image overlay to Google Earth, georeferenced it and saved it on my GPSMap62, but my new layer does not show up in map setup, or on the screen. Frustrating as this feature would be really useful. Ive re-read the instructions several times but cant see where Im going wrong.
Any tips as to common errors when trying to add kmz images to gps's??

Quote:
Just in case people are wondering what V3 may look like:

http://www.oztopo.com/v3

Also did anybody read Garmin's post for supporting more than one .img file on handhelds units:

http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/trail-tech/

Also Topo Australia 2010 rumour number 465 is that doesn't work on Nuvi's

cheers
brian
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #89
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,212
garmin topo maps only $49?

bump

just saw dick smith has the garmin topo maps for only $49, a quarter of the regular price. doesn't look like there's any catch unless they found a few boxes of the old version 1 in the back room!

i've already got the maps but thought this might be worth looking at if anyone is thinking of buying.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #90
gpsoz
Adventurer

Lots of V3 (2010) stuff out there these days. V4 is the latest from Garmin. Maybe worth checking as there is no upgrade option from V3 to V4