User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
stephenaki OP
Old Rider

Oddometer: 271
Talking Short Day trip in Germany

Well ladies and gentlemen, a while back Lee and I hit a short route from Stuttgart, Germany heading east then south down the side of a set of mountains that separate Calmbach from Bad Wilbad before heading back east. In total about 80 miles if you run it to completion. When we did it last we unfortunately only made it to the small town of Calmbach. I had thought it was Kleinenzhof but I was mistaken. This time we ran the entire route and deviated at the end to stop by the local motorcycle hang out that fills up just about every clear weekend.

The day was not so promising as it began with light rain and overcast skies in the Stuttgart area; this would not dampen our zeal for the ride however as it was a good opportunity to break in new tires on my Drifter and Lee’s GS. By the time I actually headed out to link up with Lee at the gas station on Patch Barracks it had started to clear and was actually quite balmy!
I did discover, after we fueled up, that my Tomtom does not like Patch barracks! It wasn’t until after we were off the Kaserne that it plotted our route, go figure. No, it’s not a Tomtom rider; it’s a Tomtom one XL that I have protected in an Aquabox. I got it in Florida for my Porsche originally as the trip to John O’ Groats this May had not yet manifested itself in my overworked mind. Ok, not really overworked but it makes me sound like I am actually gainfully employed.

As I mentioned our start point was Patch Barracks which is actually located in Vaihingen, Germany. From there we headed out onto the Autobahn A831 with a transfer onto the A8 towards, Karlsruhe. Well…I missed that transfer and wound up following the A81 out towards Ditzingen and had to turn around at Leonberg Strasse which is shortly after the tunnel. In total, we wound up only going about 6 miles the wrong way before we got back on track. I am thinking that we will be doing a map check and route synch before we head off each day on our trip to John O’ Groats.

Well once we were back on course we were good to go and made it to Hirsau without any problems. Now for those in and around this area you basically follow the A8 towards Pforzheim/Karlsruhe and get off at the 295 and follow that all the way to Hirsau where you will briefly get on the 463 before turning right onto the 296 towards Oberaichenbach. The 296 goes all the way to Calmbach and ends at the 294 where you hang a hard left onto the 294 and follow this south to the L347 which sends you back east towards Hoffstet and Neuweiler until you hit the 463. There are several routes back at this point but we chose to hit the Sindelfingen race track on the way back. If anyone is interested in the Google maps route let me know and I will send you a link.

It was quite an interesting ride as we went from upper 60s with dry roads and clearing skies to wet roads, cool weather and rain as we ran along the eastern side of the mountains that separate Calmbach from Bad Wilbad. Once we turned east again towards Neuweiler the weather cleared up and the roads were dry once again. We did hit a rather annoying trail of cars on the route west from Hirsau as an SUV with a horse trailer wound up in front of us with a tail of about 6 cars. Not many places to pass on the winding road towards Calmbach but that didn’t stop the German sport bike riders from zipping up along our left and passing the cars and horse trailer! We however stayed behind the pack and waited as cars passed and then the trailer turned off.

The last sport bike with a passenger barely made it around and almost met a car coming the opposite direction; sorry, I have a 3 year old and a wife that I want to get back to at the end of the day. Just not that interested in exploring the existential question of whether God exists or not. Lee is of the same mind as I am on this one; besides, my cruiser is not a sport bike and doesn’t quite maneuver as effortlessly.

As we turned east we stopped briefly at a nature park trail head about 2kms west of Neuweiler and took the opportunity to water the forest. Not that it needed it as it was already raining but we felt this would be a good rest break before continuing. It wasn’t really until we were past Neuweiler and between Oberkollwangen and Bad Teinach that we found dry roads and warmer climes again. I found a spot to pull off and take some pictures before we finished the ride at the local biker hangout and called it a day.

It was when we stopped that Lee claims the road from Oberkollwangen wasn’t really a road but someone’s driveway that clearly needed some maintenance. It truly was a bit of a wash board road with sharp turns and multicolored patches for most of the way. Also quite a bit narrow which was fine for us given we were on motorcycles but I would have hated to have been on the road with my van when another vehicle is coming towards me! All in all a pleasant afternoon out that provided some great roads and scenery and kept us guessing what the weather would do. Just makes it a bit more interesting and challenging when the weather in unpredictable! We didn’t stop to take too many pictures and as usual, the cameraman, myself, was left out. Here are some of the pictures.

99 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
stephenaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
MikJogg
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Nice Bike,your Drifter,and rare to see here.Do you have a closer pic form the paintwork?

Greetings MJ

...and winter
MikJogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
stephenaki OP
Old Rider

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikJogg
Nice Bike,your Drifter,and rare to see here.Do you have a closer pic form the paintwork?

Greetings MJ
MJ,
http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/j...tephenaki/Lee/

Link to my photo bucket with a few closer shots of the bike. Got any recommended routes through the Black Forest?
99 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
stephenaki is offline   Reply With Quote