Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 02:49 AM   #1
surfted OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Eh? HP2 Enduro clutch/gearbox noise

Hello mates

I have been reading about this typical noise in different forums and alot of them in threads from this forum. But there is not som many threads about the hp2 enduro gearbox noise in neutral.

The summary of what I been reading are:

* Not greased or worn splines between clutch and gearbox inputshaft

* Because of a not regular rpm at idle(lean mixture and surging) makes the gearbox to rattle

* Worn bearing in the back of the inputshaft(not sure if this affects the 1200gs and not sure if it has anything to do with the rattle)

I know that a lot of people have this sound but should it be there? Is it normal? I changed gearbox oil yesterday and it was grey/brown and frankly I don't know the last time it was changed. My bike have 18500km on it and the first 10000km service I sent it in but I don't trust the shop. So it could be more than 10000km. But there was no sign of metalldebris in it so I guess it's ok.

Then I got to think that I maybe should have a look inside the gearbox to ensure that everything is ok. Better safe than sorry since it's expensive stuff. I took a look at the cd-manual that we HP2 owner get with the bike.

And found this section in "replacing input shaft" under gearbox category:

"Attention
Incorrect assembly can result in excessive or insufficient predamper travel.
This will cause the gearbox to rattle in neutral or will produce excessive
reactions to load changes. If the gearbox input shaft is partially or
completely disassambled, it is essential to recheck predamper travel before
reinstalling the shaft in the gearbox."

So this got me to think could it be that some gearboxes are faulty from factory? What I can remember so I had this sound since day one and 1000km.

The rattle dissapears when you pull the clutchlever and I guess that locates the problem tp gearbox or the or the part of the clutch that spinns with it.

Is there someone who has experience from overhauling these gearboxes that can tell me how this predamper thing works and what it is?

What do you think?
surfted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:28 AM   #2
Warthog
TeutonicChronic

Oddometer: 842

I'm all ears on this issue...

I hear the HP2 gearbox has a stronger something or other installed...and the drive shaft is reinforced.

2006 HP2
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:46 AM   #3
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
gearbox noises.....

Mine will rattle like two cats f%#@ing on a tin roof if I'm lugging around town in too tall a gear....the lightly loaded gear cluster rattles and bangs embarrassingly -- gotta remember that 1200cc still doesn't mean I can ride in any gear -- or ride my scooter more around town......Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,693
unfortunately the tolerances within the gearboxes has been spotty at best in our experiences. While we've only had to take out 3 or 4 HP2E transmissions, all of them had issues that in our opinion may have been related to initial set-up at the factory as the gears and bearings were not properly shimmed. You'll need a good BMW tech with gearbox certification and the necessary tools to measure and diagnose.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
surfted OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
BMW Atlanta

What happend to these gearboxes? How did the riders know that something were wrong?

How does a properly shimmed gearbox sound? Theres almost no ratteling when the oil is cold but as soon as it's varm the ratteling starts. My hp2 sound a little more than my buddys bike when hot.

Is there any hp2e gearbox that is completely silent?

I mean how do we actually know what's perfectly normal and what's not.

I've been sorting out different sound/noises one by one since I bougth a BMW. And I figured out that most of the time nothings wrong. it's just the way they are.
surfted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
mnmlst
mnmlst

Oddometer: 105
Mine started rattling around 6000mi, now it sounds like a 55gal drum full of bowling balls bouncing down a set of concrete steps... at first only when the clutch was in (any speed), but lately I'm sensing vibration when I get off the gas in gear.

Something ain't right. It's going to the shop.

"If you're going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use both feet." - Keith Richards
mnmlst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
JohnTz
HP2 Rider

Oddometer: 156
Has anyone got any more info on this? My bike does the same thing. Rattles in nuetral with the clutch out but when you pull the clutch in it gets quiet. No problems, shifts great, just makes the rattling noise so far.
'08 Suzuki Burgman 400
'79 Vespa P200E
JohnTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
maverick
Lost South-African..

Oddometer: 561
I am now really worried as all of your bikes rattle and mine don't, is there something wrong with mine perhaps
Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
me 2

Maverick: I'm taking my pile into the dealer tomorrow for rear main and rear transmission seal and fork rebuild......had to take it apart to clean all the road crap off everything after the trip....and can't think of a thing the trans needs, even though it's going to be on the bench anyway.....bruce

From Motorcycles II

From Motorcycles II

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
SaintEx
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Question Rattle in gear box

I have a late 2008 model R1200GS (owned by me since new), and at 120,000kms it developed a rattle in the clutch/gearbox area. On investigation it turned out to be caused by multiple cracks in the cush drive assembly (BMW calls this component the predamper, in its manual) on the input drive shaft in the gearbox. An expensive but necessary repair followed. This is not the first failure of this component that my repairer has seen. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
SaintEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
oldfool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
hp2 gearbox

Mine makes some noise not enough to concern me yet. I change all fluids forks,trans, rear end every other year I never believed in lifetime oil in these components. I know some people think that's a waste. I paid alot of money for this toy and I have no problem with preventative maintenance over and above factory recommendations. I find myself in places I don't want to be stuck in. This is still my favorite toy I have at the moment. Richard Have fun.
oldfool is offline   Reply With Quote