Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #31
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by erezj
I'm looking into buying a 2007 x country, but its a bit too high, how can I adjust the hight?
Search for "lollipop" in the "let's see your XCOUNTRY" thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...op#post9292765
Old 04-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #32
Somber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
3 fairly simple things you should be able to do...

the first two don't require any new parts:

1. adjust the lollipop on the rear shock, depending on how much adjustment you drop on the back, you may wind up sitting low in the back, if so, you can go to #2

2. You can slide the front forks up through the clamps to drop the front down to get you lower and maintain a balance front to back

3. you can source an 09 seat, I haven't had a chance to compare them myself, but everything I've read say that the 09 seat is lower

you should be able to get quite a bit of drop between those three things... I went the other way and raised my 09 significantly to better fit me, I did options 1 and 2, and I did a variation on 3 by taking it to a upholstery shop that did a terribad job and so I wound up ripping it apart and going back to stock, but that is always another option too- having someone mod your current seat...
Somber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #33
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,579
Luggage

Bought a 18 liter tailbag from RKA to match the tank bag. Because the TT “large” luggage rack is so small(!), I put some stiff plastic into the bottom of the bag to keep it from slouching. Mounting it to the TT rack was not 100% straightforward but I ended up with a nice secure mount. In there I’ve got 2 liters of gas, 2 liters of water, a fairly large toolkit, a pair of ROK straps, my air compressor, a rain cover, and some toilet paper. In a squeeze, it expands 5" higher. The tankbag will do that too.

For panniers, I tried using some soft bags but they were either too small, or hung funny, or looked funny, or blocked the gas cap. So, even though I think hard bags are the wrong look for this bike (after all, it’s not a F650 GS), I broke down and bought a set of Hepco-Becker pannier racks from Adventure Motostuff.

The HB racks mount to the welded rear footpegs and to the passenger handles. I removed those handles when I added the TT “large” luggage rack, however with a little muscle power I was able to get the HB racks to mount up OK without making any more changes. One nice plus to this setup is that the crossbrace goes under the fender and supports it really well. As mentioned earlier, I don’t want a tail tidy because I ride a lot on wet roads.

The right side of the HB rack is pushed out from the frame farther than needed (8” from the center of the taillight), but it’s still not pushed out as far as the muffler side (11”). If you mount identical sidecases, you end up with the rear end being 3” wider on the left side and the bike looks lopsided. And, unless you’re real careful about weight distribution in the two cases, the bike actually WILL be lopsided!

To fix this, I bought a Seahorse 710 ($42) and a Seahorse 720 ($44) from Fuerte Cases. Both these cases are 20”x15”, but the SE-710 is 2” narrower than the SE-720. With these cases mounted, my muffler side is only 1” wider than my gas tank side, and since I can’t put as much stuff in the SE-710 as the SE-720, I have a good chance at not being lopsided. Some people might say that it looks lopsided anyway because the two cases are different depths, but this is what I decided to do and I like it. Total width is 31”.

To mount the cases, I used this really neat $50 kit from Happy-Trails. The way it works is the bottom lugs are fixed in place and carry the weight. The upper lugs rotate and are held in place with knobs. Note that the upper lugs carry no weight and are in fact mounted BELOW the top rail of the rack. The upper lugs keep the cases from self-ejecting on rough roads.

To mount the cases, you place the case on the rack using the lower lugs only, then press your leg against the case as you pop open the latches. Allow the case to open far enough to grab a knob with one hand while you rotate the lug into position with the other hand, then tighten the knob. Takes about 30 seconds per case. One caveat—when mounting the cases, make sure you mount them far back enough to let you get to the gas cap. I totally forgot to do this but got lucky—I can just barely do it.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #34
lady bikermouse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Thumb awesome!

Hi Drone

Thanks a stack for the trouble you went to to put this thread together!

I now know exactly what I want to do with mine (once I get it, and once I make up my mind whether I should get the '07 or the '09..... )

happy travels on your cool bike!

regards

lady BM
Old 06-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #35
mwolff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
I know it's the wrong forum, but WTB X-Country in CAL

Any body on the west coast with a used X-Country for $6K or less?

Mwolff
mwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #36
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

There's an '09 with ABS and handguards, under 1000 miles, asking $7100 in the Seattle Craigslist. It's been posted there for a while. Not sure you could get it for $6000, but you could try! But the ABS and handguards alone make the bike worth $1000 more than a non-ABS bike without handguards.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #37
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

larger tail rack plate

My tail plate finally arrived. 6061 powder-coated aluminum a full ¼” thick. 16” wide at the front and 13” wide at the rear and 8.5” deep. It uses the Touratech “large” luggage rack as a base. Simply removed the Touratech plate and replaced it with the new plate using the 4 Touratech mounting bolts.

In the pic below, that’s a 29” wide duffel on the bottom with my tent, sleeping bag, downmat, raingear and extra clothes. The plate is wide enough to support the bag with very little droop.

Even though I have the steel subframe on my '09, I think I'm going to have to go real easy on dirt and gravel when I'm fully loaded. The weight from those duffels (plus the cases) is cantilevered pretty far back. Luckily, I have relatively poor off-pavement skills so going slow and easy won't hamper me very much. (Edit: False! Rode the Lolo Trail fully loaded with all my gear and hit some really bad bumps. In fact, broke a peg bolt on one. But subframe handled the abuse just fine.)

In the next pic, the plate disappears under my RKA tail bag. Perfect! Not too big and not too small!

I’m not sure if there is any interest, but my guy has agreed to do up a batch of 10 of these if I handle the details. So I’ve started a thread in the Vendors section with more pics and all the info. Here's the link--G650 XCountry Rear Luggage Plate

DRONE screwed with this post 12-04-2009 at 11:58 AM
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #38
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

RKA 18 Liter Starr tail bag

I've had two mishaps with this bag in the 1st 500 miles of use. Both happened on dirt.

Mishap 1--I zipped the zipper so that each of the sliders was halfway around and met in the middle toward the rear of the bike. As I bounced along on dirt, the zippers unzipped themselves until my water bladder bounced right out of the bag and hit me in the middle of my back going over some washboard. 1-liter fuel bottle also self-ejected. Found the bladder but never did find the fuel bottle. Solution is to keep one slider all the way zipped and the other one all the way unzipped. This seems to be working.

Mishap 2--Washboard then a big pothole and the entire bag separated from the bike and ended up in the mud. I was using it to carry 2 liters of fuel, two liters of water, and my tools. Total weight--22 pounds. This happened on two different trips, so not a fluke. Apparently, if there's enough weight in the bag and the up/down motion is severe enough, the Velcro straps simply let go! Solution is to reduce the weight when going off asphalt. Not exactly the solution I want. If it won't carry the stuff I need it to carry, how is that a good deal for me? Maybe my new large luggage plate will work better keeping the bag attached to the bike. (Edit 6 months later: the ejections only happened with the small TT plate. No ejections after I switched to my large tail plate.)

DRONE screwed with this post 12-04-2009 at 12:00 PM
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #39
fazer6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Mod the velcro straps to fit buckles--problem solved
fazer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #40
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

I agree, but how would I do that? Don't own a sewing machine, much less one able to sew heavy vinyl-backed cordura. I'm a lifelong backpacker and pretty clever with straps and coming up with my own whizbang mods to some of the packs and tents I've owned, but I avoid sewing. When I really really had to, I used a speedy sewing awl. I have a boxful of fastex tri-glides, d-rings, buckles and the like but don't see how they could be used in this situation. Got a specific way to do this?
Old 06-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #41
fazer6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
I agree, but how would I do that? Don't own a sewing machine, much less one able to sew heavy vinyl-backed cordura. I'm a lifelong backpacker and pretty clever with straps and coming up with my own whizbang mods to some of the packs and tents I've owned, but I avoid sewing. When I really really had to, I used a speedy sewing awl. I have a boxful of fastex tri-glides, d-rings, buckles and the like but don't see how they could be used in this situation. Got a specific way to do this?
Hmm...Off the top of my head, not without sewing. I've used the awl too, or just a big upholstery needle and thread. Simplest seems to be to just attach some double-D rings to the 'loop' side, near the bottom, thread the 'hook' straps through, cinch, and then use the velcro as an added measure.

What about just putting some straps around the whole load, cinching through the rack? Makes access more difficult, but should hold everything together.
fazer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #42
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6
Hmm...Off the top of my head, not without sewing. I've used the awl too, or just a big upholstery needle and thread. Simplest seems to be to just attach some double-D rings to the 'loop' side, near the bottom, thread the 'hook' straps through, cinch, and then use the velcro as an added measure.

What about just putting some straps around the whole load, cinching through the rack? Makes access more difficult, but should hold everything together.
Drone, I'm tellin' ya, get Kathy at RKA involved. If your bag is launching, she needs to know, 'cause other bags are launching, too.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:22 PM   #43
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster
Drone, I'm tellin' ya, get Kathy at RKA involved. If your bag is launching, she needs to know, 'cause other bags are launching, too.
Kathy and Richard are not pleased with me because I'm attaching the bag directly to the plate. The bag is supposed to attach to a "Starr IV" base pad and then the base pad is supposed to attach to the plate. But the Starr pad has an extra 1/2" of flop built into it and I didn't want the bag moving around that much. Not to mention that the Starr pad is completely incompatible with the TT plate. They offered to swap out the bottom of the bag for a non-Starr type, but I don't like the strap arrangement on that other bag either.

I designed my new plate to be a perfect fit for this bag with slots in exactly the right place. The slots in the TT plate are a little wrong so maybe they put a strain on the velcro. Now that I got my new plate the next couple of rides should give me the answer. Nevertheless, there are various kinds of velcro-some more aggressive than others-and I think this bag needs something more aggressive.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:17 AM   #44
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
Kathy and Richard are not pleased with me because I'm attaching the bag directly to the plate. The bag is supposed to attach to a "Starr IV" base pad and then the base pad is supposed to attach to the plate. But the Starr pad has an extra 1/2" of flop built into it and I didn't want the bag moving around that much. Not to mention that the Starr pad is completely incompatible with the TT plate. They offered to swap out the bottom of the bag for a non-Starr type, but I don't like the strap arrangement on that other bag either.

I designed my new plate to be a perfect fit for this bag with slots in exactly the right place. The slots in the TT plate are a little wrong so maybe they put a strain on the velcro. Now that I got my new plate the next couple of rides should give me the answer. Nevertheless, there are various kinds of velcro-some more aggressive than others-and I think this bag needs something more aggressive.
I'm sorry to hear that Kathy and Richard don't want to help you with your solution, but want you to accept their solution. Not exactly the way it's supposed to work ...

There are beefier kinds of Velcro which might work. There's also Fastex buckles. I used to worry about my BMW sportbag launching, but have learned to trust the buckles.

Keep us informed! Thanks!

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #45
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,858
Beautiful work!

I'm going to have to add this thread to the G650X index thread.