ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #76
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur
 
DRONE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA-ish
Oddometer: 3,292
PIAA 1100X HID Lights for sale

In case anybody's still following this thread, my HID lights are now for sale in the Flea Market. LINK


*** SOLD ***

DRONE screwed with this post 11-27-2009 at 03:10 PM
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #77
Bike#8
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Socal=Mt. Laguna & Palomar Mtn.> Now in Idaho Yea!
Oddometer: 170
Hey Drone,

I've tried a couple different handguard sets on my xmoto with limited success, due to the abs plumbing near the front brake. Any issues in that area with those great looking guards and risers you have... ie, hose binding, limited lever placement, etc. ?

Thanks
Bike#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #78
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur
 
DRONE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA-ish
Oddometer: 3,292
I looked at the XMoto thread to see if the ABS plumbing on the XMoto was the same as on the XCountry but I couldn't see any clear pics.

Speaking just for the XCountry then, I can say with no hesitation that the HDB guards don't interfere with any of my controls or cabling in any way, with or without the risers.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #79
Bike#8
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Socal=Mt. Laguna & Palomar Mtn.> Now in Idaho Yea!
Oddometer: 170
Thanks Drone, I'm going to order a set.
Bike#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #80
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer
 
Birdmove's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Keaau, Hawaii
Oddometer: 1,526
I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions about the XCountry (and XMoto) motorcycles, as I've just recently become interested in these bikes. I have been told that of the three "X" bikes, only the XCountry is still being imported into the US, and that the XMoto has been dropped from the BMW lineup-does that sound correct? Is it true that these bikes use the same 650cc water cooled thumper motor as the F650 and Dacar models? I know someone with an older F650 that is well over 45,000 miles and still going down the road with few problems.

A dealer has an '07 Xmoto "service loaner" with just over 2000 miles that they are asking $6000 for.I wonder if, since it is discontinued, maybe they could be talked down? How are these bikes to get parts for?

The small gas tank is often mentioned, but I have heard that these fule injected engine get very good gas mileage-even for a 650cc thumper. Can I ask what you are getting from your XCountry?

Thanks, Jon
__________________
Jon in Keaau, Hi. USA
2008 SYM HD200 (wife's ride)
2009 Kymco People 150 and coming soon, another dual sport mc
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #81
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur
 
DRONE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA-ish
Oddometer: 3,292
Jon-- all your answers can be found in the G650 Thread Index.

But I'll PM you with my phone number and, since you're local to me, just give me a call sometime.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #82
plumber mike
Born again
 
plumber mike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: South of North Dakota
Oddometer: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove
I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions about the XCountry (and XMoto) motorcycles, as I've just recently become interested in these bikes. I have been told that of the three "X" bikes, only the XCountry is still being imported into the US, and that the XMoto has been dropped from the BMW lineup-does that sound correct? Is it true that these bikes use the same 650cc water cooled thumper motor as the F650 and Dacar models? I know someone with an older F650 that is well over 45,000 miles and still going down the road with few problems.

A dealer has an '07 Xmoto "service loaner" with just over 2000 miles that they are asking $6000 for.I wonder if, since it is discontinued, maybe they could be talked down? How are these bikes to get parts for?

The small gas tank is often mentioned, but I have heard that these fule injected engine get very good gas mileage-even for a 650cc thumper. Can I ask what you are getting from your XCountry?

Thanks, Jon
Sturgis BMW has a new leftover 07 Xmoto for $5995 that they would probably drop to move it. I would think they could go lower.
__________________
09 Xcountry slightly challenged ....and for sale
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=991262

www.dakotadualsportriders.com
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #83
armex
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Oddometer: 2
HDB handguards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike#8
Hey Drone,

I've tried a couple different handguard sets on my xmoto with limited success, due to the abs plumbing near the front brake. Any issues in that area with those great looking guards and risers you have... ie, hose binding, limited lever placement, etc. ?

Thanks
Hi Drone, adding to this question, from the pictures of your bike it seems that you managed to leave the bar end weights and install the HDB handguards still, is that teh case? if so, how did you manage? I've just gotten my xcountry kit from HDB and it just doesn't seem possible to fit it unless I get rid of the bar end weights...

Also, if I did install the handguards without the weights, it seems that they would be in the way of the break lever at least, even if I push it towards the center as much as the handlebar allows...
I live in Mexico and it is difficult to get parts for the xcountry here, and I wouldn't like to mess things up while trying to install it.

I've added a few accesories to my 2009 XC and its coming along quite nicely and practical. Will try and post a few pictures soon after I try the set up in a longish trip (perhaps Baja) later this month. I've followed some of your ideas, so thanks a lot for sharing.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
armex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #84
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur
 
DRONE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA-ish
Oddometer: 3,292
Armex, you've been a member for almost a year and this is your first post? I'm honored!

In your shipment from HDB, there should be 2 new bar end weights to replace the BMW weights. They are painted black and are about the same size and shape as the BMW weights, except they are flat on both sides. You can see one of them here in this pic--



If these are not in the box, contact HDB. You need the HDB weights to make sure that the guards remain well clear of your clutch and brake controls. Remember also that you need to tap the BMW end plugs that the bar end weights screw into. Those plugs are tapped for M6 bolts and your new handguards use M8 bolts.

Once you have the HDB weights, If the fit is close, but not perfect, that's OK. Just mount the guards to the center bar clamp then "muscle" the outer ends into place, insert the M8 bolts, and tighten.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #85
armex
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Oddometer: 2
HDB handguards weight ends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
Armex, you've been a member for almost a year and this is your first post? I'm honored!

In your shipment from HDB, there should be 2 new bar end weights to replace the BMW weights. They are painted black and are about the same size and shape as the BMW weights, except they are flat on both sides. You can see one of them here in this pic--



If these are not in the box, contact HDB. You need the HDB weights to make sure that the guards remain well clear of your clutch and brake controls. Remember also that you need to tap the BMW end plugs that the bar end weights screw into. Those plugs are tapped for M6 bolts and your new handguards use M8 bolts.

Once you have the HDB weights, If the fit is close, but not perfect, that's OK. Just mount the guards to the center bar clamp then "muscle" the outer ends into place, insert the M8 bolts, and tighten.
Thanks a lot for the prompt reply Drone I couldn't figure it out, but yes, the new weight ends are missing in the package which was evidently what was causing the headaches..., so I'll track them down (the pieces went from hand to hand until someone was able to bring them to me down to MX) or contact HDB if worse comes to worse for a pair, and hopefully get them before the Baja trip later this month.
Once the hanguards are fitted, and the Wunderlich screen (arriving on Dec. 24 through another friend) is attached, I'll be ready to go.
The plan for next year: auxilliary lights, headlight grill (just because I like the looks of it) and if possible adapt a small simple and easy to read tachometer...
and as we say here...muchas gracias!
armex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #86
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur
 
DRONE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA-ish
Oddometer: 3,292
Oh, if you figure out a small, simple, easy reading tachometer, be sure to tell the rest of us about it!
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:11 AM   #87
tankgirl
Adventurer
 
tankgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Oddometer: 12
bmw crash bars - part number ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
X-Challenge Belly Pan with BMW Engine Bars

I wanted a belly pan stronger than the stock BMW ABS pan. But I didn’t want a TT pan because they are so fug-ugly and bulky-looking. So I got a X-Challenge pan from another forum member. And I wanted it black so I got it powdercoated. I like the way the BMW bars look better than HB or any others.
i like this combo!
gonna look for a second hand bash plate and then some crash bars like these, it looks clean!

can you maybe help me with a part number for the crash bars, and a price??? thanks!
tankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #88
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way
 
Geoffster's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: My Blue Heaven
Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
Oh, if you figure out a small, simple, easy reading tachometer, be sure to tell the rest of us about it!
IMHO, the best bet for the tach-obsessed is http://www.trailtech.net/vapor.html.



I checked out the installation difficulty factor, and it's not too bad.

I'm just not tach-oriented. (Gee, I see I'm lugging it -- too bad, that's better than clutching/shifting/losing-momentum. Or, Gee, it won't go any faster, duh, I guess it's time to shift.)
__________________

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #89
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur
 
DRONE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA-ish
Oddometer: 3,292
Tankgirl--

Those BMW engine bars are Part No. 71607706067 and sell for about $125 here in the USA.

To find a used XChallenge bash plate, you might try sending PM's to riders from THIS THREAD. Maybe one of them wouldn't mind selling you one cheap and shipping it to SA. That's how I got mine -- new ones cost about $225 but I bought mine for $100 (shipped) from a fellow inmate and it was pristine. Be sure to ask if it's all beat to hell or not.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #90
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur
 
DRONE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA-ish
Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster
I'm just not tach-oriented. (Gee, I see I'm lugging it -- too bad, that's better than clutching/shifting/losing-momentum. Or, Gee, it won't go any faster, duh, I guess it's time to shift.)
The only reason I'd like a tach is because I seem to hit the rev limiter in 2nd fairly often, and it's always an abrupt end to a smooth build-up!

Most of the digital tachs are way too big for what I want. I'm looking for something small and light that won't crowd up the instrument panel/handlebar area too much but still easy-to-read. Haven't looked too hard for one, but haven't found one either.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014