Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #91
tankgirl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
To find a used XChallenge bash plate, you might try sending PM's to riders from THIS THREAD. Maybe one of them wouldn't mind selling you one cheap and shipping it to SA. That's how I got mine -- new ones cost about $225 but I bought mine for $100 (shipped) from a fellow inmate and it was pristine. Be sure to ask if it's all beat to hell or not.
cool thank you so much for the part number! :)
and i'm gonna try and find a bashplate locally first, haha
thanks again!
tankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #92
Leon T
n00b

Oddometer: 2
BMW G 650 X country

Hey guys,

Please help me out. I am new here. I recently bought a x country and am looking for auxiliary tank options. Do you know of anything?

Thanks!!!
Leon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #93
derder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon T
Hey guys,

Please help me out. I am new here. I recently bought a x country and am looking for auxiliary tank options. Do you know of anything?

Thanks!!!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335086
Old 01-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #94
Solrider
Smiling Politely

Oddometer: 274
Hi everyone, I'm a noob here searching for my first bike and I'm super close to pulling the trigger on a 2009....just waiting for the numbers to come back.

My question is in regards to a skid plate/frame guard combo. So far for skids I've seen the Touratech or the XChallenge option. Is there another I am missing?

The Touratech looks nice but huge and I'm not sure it will work with any of the frame guards out there. Does anyone have a specific combo they are using on their bike? These are some of the first items I'd like to purchase.

Also will most of the Touratech items listed for the XChallenge work on the XCountry? Radiator guard specifically.

Thanks!!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #95
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 1,818
Welcome weezerbot. Adventum(andrewgore) was making a skid plate. I don't know if he is doing another run or not (getting married).Andrew's, Touratech, Hyde, and OEM are the only ones I know of but there may be others. Most Xchallenge stuff will fit our bikes. I don't know which rad guard you speak of(the black tube guard or the silly aluminum cover)but they should both work. Tod(5chord) had what I feel is the ultimate in protection (andrew's skid with HB engine guards)

As for me and my plans...I have Andrew's skid(but may upgrade to a TT rally with toolbox if Andrew dosen't come up with one) then some HB engine guards and some Highway Dirt Bikes beefy handguards.

www.dakotadualsportriders.com
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #96
Solrider
Smiling Politely

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
Welcome weezerbot. Adventum(andrewgore) was making a skid plate. I don't know if he is doing another run or not (getting married).Andrew's, Touratech, Hyde, and OEM are the only ones I know of but there may be others. Most Xchallenge stuff will fit our bikes. I don't know which rad guard you speak of(the black tube guard or the silly aluminum cover)but they should both work. Tod(5chord) had what I feel is the ultimate in protection (andrew's skid with HB engine guards)

As for me and my plans...I have Andrew's skid(but may upgrade to a TT rally with toolbox if Andrew dosen't come up with one) then some HB engine guards and some Highway Dirt Bikes beefy handguards.
Thank you! This site is a wealth of knowledge. Hyde! I knew there was one I was missing. I love th TT Rally but I think thats more than I want to pay for a skid.

Thanks for all your help, its really hard to see in some of the pics what goes exactly where. As for the Rad guard I was talking about the tube one. There don't seem to be many options out there for just covers that aren't cheesy.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #97
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
Weezerbot (and others)-- Drone here (the OP). Do you know that there is a whole thread dedicated to the XCountry? Click here. That would be the best place for your questions. There are hundreds of guys monitoring that thread while there are only a few watching this one.

On that radiator protection, Colebatch thinks it's unnecessary and he kinda has the last word--he's the Sibursky Extreme guy. Here's his thread on the mods he made to his XChallenge. Good reading there.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:04 AM   #98
tabone75
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Xcountry Radiator Guard?

Guys
Where can I purchase a good aluminium radiator guard?

Will a Xchallenge radiator guard fit a Xcountry.

thanks
John
tabone75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:22 AM   #99
novaboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Hopefully this will be available quite soon.

http://xrange.ca/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon T
Hey guys,

Thanks!!!
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #100
tabone75
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Oxford heated grips...

What is the diameter of the bars of the '09 Xcountry. It hasn't arrived yet and want to order the Oxford heated grips.
thanks
tabone75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #101
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Denali - VisionX Solstice LED Driving Lights

The front of my bike has a new look. The HID lights are gone, the Wunderlich screen is installed, new short stalk turn signals installed, and the big change are the new Solstice LED driving lights mounted to the HDB handguards.

There are several threads here on the Solstice lights, and there's a vendor thread too.

The Denali lights are only available from Twisted Throttle. The kit includes two VisionX Solstice 10-watt LED driving lights with 24-inch pigtails (the Solstice sold directly from VisionX only has a 6-inch pigtail), a relay pre-wired to a wiring harness, and a switch.

The Denali kit has a warning on the instructions saying that the circuitry in the lights will be damaged if you don't use the Denali wiring harness.

If you know anything about these lights, you know that this is, of course, rubbish. But I'm sure there are enough people who don't know what they're doing that Twisted Throttle wants to protect themselves from warranty claims for lights that somebody wired up the wrong way.

Here's a pic of the full harness which is about six feet long and includes 4 plugs and a fuseholder--

A harness this size will not fit behind and under the instrument panel. Even after I cut it down to size and got rid of all the plugs, I still was barely able to wire-tie everything into place behind the headlight. Here's the harness, switch and relay after I "trimmed" it down to about 10 inches--

I might have gotten by trimming it to 6", but I have big hands and having a little extra makes it easier to do the connections. You'll note that there are 4 grounds coming from the relay--one goes to ground (duh!), two go to the grounds coming from the two Solstice lamps, and one goes to the switch. It would be nice to trim that down to one ground and then connect all the grounds to it using a Posi-Twist 1022 connector (the really big one) but I don't have any of those. I tried a Posi-Twist 1424 and it was too small. I wonder if there's something better out there? Because I also have grounds for my heated grips and my GPS and the main ground wire itself coming from the battery, so that's 7 wires to connect together securely but without solder so that I can take things apart when needed. A grounding block would be nice, but I don't see any room for something like that up in the headlight/instrument panel vicinity. Anyway, I just used several of the regular Posi-Locks.

If you're going to do this mod using Denali lights, make note that the BROWN wire coming from the lamp is positive (opposite of what you'd expect.) I don't know what the deal might be with non-Denali VisionX lights.

I fabricated a bracket for the switch from some scrap aluminum. I painted it black then mounted it to the left side controls. The switch itself mounts to the bracket with peel-off sticky tape--

I decided to mount the lights to my HDB handguards. My old HID lights were mounted to the side of the headlight, but I figgered that by moving them outboard I'll have improved daytime conspicuity. The only trick to this mounting point is that the handguards are not perfectly square to the direction of travel. But the Solstice mounting brackets are forgiving enough that I was able to bend the brackets to send the lumens in the right direction. If I decide I want more ability to change the aiming point on the fly, shouldn't be too hard to fabricate a "L" bracket to mount the lights to. Here's a shot of the mounting hole I drilled--

And here's the final look--

I think that looks like a nice clean install!

This posting would not be complete without beamshots. I must apologize though for my lousy ability to take pics at night. While these pics are blurry and grainy, the relative brightness is accurate.

I placed a pannier case on the road at 50 yards and draped a brown leather coat over it to imitate a deer crossing the road at night. I chose 50 yards because at 35 mph, you have three seconds to avoid something 50 yards away. At 70 mph, well good luck to ya then!

All pics were taken with the camera set to "manual" and all other variables the same. The deer looks closer than 50 yards because I used the zoom.

The 1st pic is the OEM headlamp low beam. The 2nd is high beam. The 3rd is low beam with the Denalis turned on (wow!). The 4th is the high beam with the Denalis.

In real life, night vision can be affected by oncoming headlights, your instrument panel and GPS shining in your face, moonlight, streetlamps, road signs, etc. But I can say that my subjective opinion is . . . yes, they're that bright. With the OEM high beam I could not see the deer at all. With the Denalis, I could see the deer with ease.

I haven't tested them yet in traffic to see if I can get by without pissing off the cagers. We'll see. Also, with a combined draw of 20 watts, my voltmeter doesn't even flinch when I turn the lights on and off. Rode the bike last night with lights, grip heaters at 75%, and GPS and the voltage was up around 13.6 to 14.2.

DRONE screwed with this post 05-01-2010 at 09:23 AM
Old 04-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #102
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

What's that? You want to know what they look like when they're running?

OK, here ya go--

Yes, they're brighter than the headlamp, though smaller in diameter.

Edit 4 months later--cagers do not flash their lights at me during daytime so I guess they're not overly bright. But coming up to a toll booth the other day the operator says to me, "Hey, those are some bright lights. What kind are they? I could see you coming a long ways off!"

DRONE screwed with this post 09-08-2010 at 10:39 PM
Old 04-26-2010, 01:36 AM   #103
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,385
Wow another great write-up Drone, thanks! As you know I've been eye-ing the Denali's as well and this helps me decide. Will be anxious to hear how the cagers react as there is no doubt you are much more conpicuous.
So you have connected them independently from your high beams so you could turn them on at any time either with low or high beam, right? Just wondering.

Does the kit include any way to mount them off the the front forks lower down or do you know of an option for this? Also wondering how adjustable the angle is, since you said you had to bend the bracket, I would have thought they would have adjustment on the mounting screws?

Nice looking lights!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:26 AM   #104
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Yes, I wired them up to their own switched and fused power line coming from my 3-fuse panel under the seat. I can turn them on and off with the thumb switch independent of the headlamp.

To mount them to the forks, somebody more clever than me would have to design and fabricate a mounting bracket, or you could buy something like a LumaLink fork bracket, but then you'd have to deal with the exposed wiring possibly getting caught on brush etc.

The Denali (and VisionX) mounting bracket allows you to point the lights in any direction you want as long as the bracket bolt is oriented at a 90 degree angle to the direction of movement. Like if you were to use the headlamp mounting bolts. Or, in my case, if I had drilled my mounting holes vertically down through the guards. But a 6mm hole vertically through my guards would have made them too weak.

My ability to aim the lights is limited only because I decided to mount the brackets with the bolts in-line to the direction of travel. If I decide I want more flexibility, I can make an "L" bracket, bolt it to the guards where the lights are now, then mount the lights to the "L" bracket above the guards.

In fact, the more I think about it, making a couple of brackets would be so easy, and would give me complete aiming flexibility, I think I'm going to cobble some up. Stay tuned for more pics.

DRONE screwed with this post 04-26-2010 at 10:54 AM
Old 04-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #105
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

"L" brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
My ability to aim the lights is limited only because I decided to mount the brackets with the bolts in-line to the direction of travel. If I decide I want more flexibility, I can make an "L" bracket, bolt it to the guards where the lights are now, then mount the lights to the "L" bracket above the guards.

In fact, the more I think about it, making a couple of brackets would be so easy, and would give me complete aiming flexibility, I think I'm going to cobble some up. Stay tuned for more pics.
OK, I got around to making and installing these brackets. I took some scrap aluminum, made a rectangle, de-horned all the edges and corners, drilled 6mm holes, bent them, and mounted them up.

1st pic is the naked "L" bracket (blurry but I'm not taking it apart again just to give you a non-blurry pic!)

2nd pic shows bracket mounted to HDB guard.

3rd pic shows Solstice bracket (OEM) mounted to the "L" bracket.

4th pic shows Solstice mounted to the assembly.

Now I can aim the lights anywhere I want. Thanks, Snooker, for asking those pesky questions. I should have done it this way in the first place!

DRONE screwed with this post 04-27-2010 at 04:14 PM