Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,354
Paul--PM'ed you.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #122
Reata Rover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Hi Drone,

I noticed you chaged tires from the OEM, can you tell me what you went with?

Thanks,

Reata (John)

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke, British statesman and philosopher
Reata Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #123
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Those would be Mefo's from Twisted Throttle. Better pics--

I really like these tires for the riding I do -- 80/20 pavement/gravel. I don't really do any mud or sand.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #124
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,538
Ive been running mefo explorers for 3500 miles. Watch out on wet pavement.
leafman60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #125
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Here in the Pacific Northwest, we encounter wet roads from time-to-time (like 9 months a year). The Mefo is not a Tourance on wet pavement, but its decent and predictable.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #126
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, its predictable as long as you expect that it may get squirrely on wet pavement because it will. To take up on your statement, don't ride a mefo on wet pavement like you would a tourance or even an anakee.

Also, at high speeds on dry pavement, say 80ish, the mefo is not as stable.

Conversely, the mefo is better than a tourance or anakee in demanding dirt situations.

It all depends on what you wanna do. I do a lot of dirt but I also like to push the bike's limits on pavement. I will probably go back to an anakee.

leafman60 screwed with this post 09-10-2010 at 03:20 PM
Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #127
MuddytheWaters
Petrol Burner

Oddometer: 8
Thanks Drone et al

She looks great. I had the same Q as Tank Girl, I've been craving crash bars/somewhere to put my feet on long hauls for a while. Also glad to hear someone is using the HB luggage racks without frame damage. And that back luggage plate is beautiful. My stuff sack slips around on the TT "large" too much. Once my MSR stove tank ended up in front of the exhaust pipe. I got lucky, only had to replace the pump...

To throw in my bit, I've put 22k on my bike. The rear Metzler lasted me well into the teens-- I wanna say 13K, maybe longer. The front Metzler should have been replaced a bit ago, but it was pretty good on tred until 20k or so. Daily street riding 97%, much of it in Tejas. I've put them through the paces and love them in deep leans. They've also served me well on dirt/gravel roads, into cattle trails, and general trespassings better not spoken of...of which spoken...whatever. So the I'm sticking with my elephant tyres.

MuddytheWaters screwed with this post 09-10-2010 at 10:16 AM
MuddytheWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #128
hisport
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks from NC

Hi Drone:

Here's my first ADV post, in your honor.

Just finished reading this whole thread, and compliments to you. Great info.

I picked up an '08 XCountry last week ($3,900; 2,600 hard miles), and I've already put about a thousand more on it. It's a blast to ride - feels liike a big bicycle (compared to my Concours).

I'm going to ride some of the Trans America trail (TN - OK) with a couple of friends beginning next week. This is why I bought the bike - I wanted a 650 dual sport as light as possible, but still capable of running the 300 miles from our NC coast house to our VA mountain house. I've done that trip now, and really had fun.

On the road, IMHO the bike needs:

- A better horn (I'm alookin...)
- A better headlight (Will replicate your solution, I think)
- A windscreen (Parabellum or Cee Bailey? I'm 6')
- A throttle lock or cruise control (numb wrist within 20 miles)
- A more forward handlebar setting (feels a little cramped)

Off road, no experience yet, but I will be doing the following TAT prep this weekend:

- Dirtbagz/rear frame
- Conti TKC 80 tires
- Nuvi 500/RAM mount
- Dry bag
- Tank bag
- Tool roll
- BMW AL skidplate (already installed by PO)

BTW, have you had any problem with the front fender loading with mud? I'm a little worried about fuel capacity (55 - 65 mpg on road so far; what do you get off road?)

Thanks again for doing this thread. BTW, I got some scoop on the BMWNA/G650X inside story while at the BMW dealer last Thursday. PM me if you're interested.
hisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #129
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Congrats on the bike, Hisport. Sounds like a bargain?

Looks like you got a pretty good handle on things. About the windscreen, they're nice for reducing windblast, but they can cause buffeting, make 18-wheeler turbulence more noticeable, and can be a pain in the neck when on the dirt or up on the pegs. Everything's a trade-off. My suggestion would be to keep it short--you don't want a Concours-like bubble of calm air around you. You just want to make things a little less tiring.

For the handlebars, consider the Rox Risers. Lots of adjustability there.

On the throttle lock, again I'll mention that this ain't a big ol' sport touring bike. I use an old fashioned Crampbuster and I can ride for hours with no strain. You just got to set it in the right position. If I'm going to be slabbin' for a while, I'll rotate it upwards a bit for the duration of the high-speed section, then rotate it down and out of the way for traffic or dirt.

My mileage seems to be the same on paved and unpaved.

As for the fender, I don't ride in mud, not like the mud you got back there. I might go through a muddy hole once in a while, but there's always well-packed dirt on the other side. Around here, even the rain-soaked dirt roads are packed down hard. In any event, I don't think mud will be a problem for the low fender. Colebatch is a real expert and he outfitted his XChallenge with a low fender for his trip across Siberia this summer.

DRONE screwed with this post 12-03-2010 at 09:54 AM
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #130
hisport
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Making a silk purse...

You're right - it ain't a gold wing. Surprizingly capable on a long road trip, though.

I'll await the TAT thing before doing a windshield, etc. Assuming I don't lose the bike down a ravine...

Thanks again for the tips. I'll post about the TAT adventure. My friends are on heavily prepped DRX 400 and DR 650, so it ought to be interesting.

Cheers
hisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #131
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Today I installed an Akrapovic "open" full system on my Xco. Ive had it laying around, still in the box, for a while. I took the advice of that grandmother in New Jersey that posts on here and bolted it up.

At first, I thought I had screwed-up. I fired it up in my garage and it sounded too darned loud. Outside, it ain't so bad. I was worried that it may drone at highway speeds, especially since I am running a windshield now and it reflects back sound.

On the road and cruising at highway speeds, the Akra open (with insert) is barely louder than the stock system. Only when I labor the motor can I hear the putt-putts and the sound is not unpleasant to me. It's not overly loud.

I havent taken it on dirt yet. I'm sure that, in the venue, I'll hear it talking more but I think it will actually give me better feedback on what the engine is doing than the ever-so-silent stock set-up.

My only criticism is the Akra is too damned expensive. It's almost silly that I spent a significant percentage of the price of the bike on an exhaust ! I also cannot see the advantage of the Akra header pipe over the stock unit.

Oh well, I got it and I'm gonna use it. Spend that cash. Help the economy.

Question -

My Akra exhaust is labeled with the part number of the "open" system. You can look in one end of the muffler and see straight-through to the other end.

I have the heat shields for the header pipe and the front part of the muffler. My muffler, however, also has the little carbon-fiber heat shield on the top of the muffler at the rear and I thought the "open" version did not have this.

Can anyone speak to this issue?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #132
MuddytheWaters
Petrol Burner

Oddometer: 8
Recall

BTW, did ya'll hear about the 2007 G650Xseries? Roll Gear Pin something.

NHTSA campaign id number: 10V273000
Affected motorcycles:
BMW US G650 X-Challenge, 2007
BMW US G650 X-Country, 2007-2008
BMW US G650 X-Moto, 2007
Manufacturer: BMW of North America, LLC
Manufacturer’s report date: June 15, 2010

Thanks to Paul Duchene at the BMW Car Club of America Forums.
MuddytheWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #133
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Yes and the recall applies to 09 models too.

In addition, there is a technical bulletin to replace the bracket that holds the front brakeline junction box on ABS models. It breaks too.

Hey ! Its a BMW ! What do you expect !?
Old 09-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #134
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

By the way, I installed one of the recalibrated speed rings from Holland this weekend and it totally cleared-up the error in the speedo.

Again, its a BMW.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #135
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60
Question -

My Akra exhaust is labeled with the part number of the "open" system. You can look in one end of the muffler and see straight-through to the other end.

I have the heat shields for the header pipe and the front part of the muffler. My muffler, however, also has the little carbon-fiber heat shield on the top of the muffler at the rear and I thought the "open" version did not have this.

Can anyone speak to this issue?
Grandma here

I didn't get the part number from my service manager when he installed the Akra, but I don't have the carbon heat shield on the top rear of the exhaust.

Andrew Gore, who had the slip-on system installed by his dealer in June 2009, did not have that extra heat shield.

But, you are correct in your assumption (if you check the Akropovic web site). It shows the street-legal slip-on exhaust with the top shield in the rear:

And the open slip-on exhaust without the shield:

Looks like the noise reduction inserts are different, too.
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote