ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
NewBRider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
GPS Routes for Mexico and Central America

Hello Everyone

I am taking a trip to Mexico and Central America in my RV with a Suzuki DRZ 400S on the back.

I am wondering if anyone has any good route information for scenic dirt rides in any of the above locations.

Basically I don't have a lot of local knowledge so if anyone had a route recorded they had ridden before I could just follow that.

I am camping capable so I can do several day trips.

I also enjoy wildlife watching.

I am also looking for anyone who is doing trips in the region in the next couple of months I could join.

thanks

NewB
NewBRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
I will post some routes for you tomorrow or Friday just let me know where you have planned to cross the border San Diego or Texas and how many days you have to spend here in Mexico.
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
NewBRider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I will probably be crossing at Mexicali

I can stay as long as I like :)

Right now I am thinking diriving down Baja and then taking the ferries across to mainland mexic and then continuing south east reaching Cosumel and Belize. Then on to guatemala honduras and eventually Cost Rica

The tricky part is finding a route with an easy drive for the RV (my wife) and a somewhat challening ride for me.

NewB
NewBRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
OldManRiver
In for the long haul

Oddometer: 8
I finally stopped procrastinating and decided to register last night so i could start posting and this is what persuaded me to do so. I'll be doing a very similar trip in the next few months. (mexicali - baja - mazatlan - west coast of central america - south america - chile eventually.
i'd be more than eager to meet and ride for a few days depending on when it is.
OldManRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
Chrispy76
キタ━&#

Oddometer: 19
My lady friend and I are just about ready to embark on this very trip. Not too sure how far south we'll make it, but we have about 3 months before we need to be back in Canada. We'll be driving ot Arizona to leave our truck and dual sport it from there. Too much snow in central B.C. and want to be able to drive back in Feb. I searched for GPS tracks a bit, but think we'll try to pick up maps along the way. If not I'm sure Google Earth will come in handy...
Chrispy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
ruedaloca
just me

Oddometer: 446
Question Maps for Garmin 2610 of central america ?

Anyone can tell me if the maps of www.gpstravelmaps.com, specially the maps for central america, would work fine on a Garmin Street pilot 2610 ?

And BTW, is the Garmin 2610 a good unit to be used on central america, mexico ?

THanks in advance!!
Looking for a house or apartment at El Salvador ? your solution is here !!
ruedaloca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
GPSTravelMaps.com
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Central America GPS maps for Garmin

ruedaloca-

This is Michael from GPSTravelMaps.com -

Yes, all GPSTravelMaps.com Central America maps - (click to see more detailed information)

Costa Rica
Honduras
Belize
El Salvador
Nicaragua
Panama
Guatemala

will work in virtually all Garmin devices. Yes, the GPS map will work on Street pilot 2610. GPSTravelMaps.com is also about to release all our GPS maps on iPhone too.

We are also working on two versions of ONE Central America GPS map. One with Highways only and another version with Highways, local streets and trails. The reason for the highway only is to offer a lower price version of a Central America map for those just traveling through Central America and do not need as much detail.

If you have not bought a GPS unit yet, then may I suggest going on Ebay or Amazon and buying the cheapest Nuvi that you can buy. The reason I say this is -
1. The Nuvi works well.
2. Saves you money
3. In case your GPS unit is stolen then you will not lose a lot of money.

The downside is that the Nuvi is not waterproof or as durable and some other Garmin GPS models.

If you are traveling Central America, then please always store your GPS Device in a safe place.

If you have any questions about our GPS maps then feel free to email Michael at support@gpstravelmaps.com . I am a co-owner of GPSTravelMaps.com and would like to help any Advrider members with GPS map questions.

Best Regards,
Michael

GPSTravelMaps.com screwed with this post 05-31-2010 at 02:55 PM
GPSTravelMaps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
ruedaloca
just me

Oddometer: 446
Hi Michael, good to see you around here.

Actually, I already got a Garmin 2610, used of course, very cheap, and I loaded your maps, they work fine.

I'm not traveling at Cental America, I live here !!, I know what you say about the safety over here !! , that's why I got the 2610 as my first unit, too.

Your maps are fine, but it doesn't have details for secondary roads, dirt roads going to small towns, if I want to explore some on this, that I see on the main road, I can't know where are they going with your maps. A little detail, but I can navigate very accurate over cities or main roads. Excellent !

Thanks Michael
Looking for a house or apartment at El Salvador ? your solution is here !!
ruedaloca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
GPSTravelMaps.com
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Costa Rica GPS map

ruedaloca-
I have traveled to Costa Rica on a few occasions. This is one of the reasons why GPSTravelMaps.com developed a Costa Rica GPS map. I was traveling from Mal Pais to Tamarindo with my Garmin 60csx which had no maps available for the route through jungles, river and ranches. Have you ever traveled this route? Here is a small video of some of my pictures of my first travels to Costa Rica in 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtKfCLeBXlk

. There is a river crossing at 1:21 that you would have to cross on the back route from Mal Pais to Tamarindo. I know the video is a little shaky after the crossing, I think my brother was afraid of standing in the river. If you have not traveled this route then I highly recommend it. It is a beautiful route. I collected the GPX tracks of this route and when I got back to the states I joined forces with a gentleman named Aaron to create a Costa Rica GPS map for GPSTravelMaps.com

Every since then we have been adding thousands of local and dirt roads to our Costa Rica GPS map and releasing a new Costa Rica GPS map on a monthly basis.

It is customers like yourself that have made GPSTravelMaps.com aware if we have missed any dirt roads or villages. If you want to email me at support@gpstravelmaps.com then I can add any data to the Costa Rica GPS map that you would like me to. We can even add hiking trails or off road dirt roads for your motorcycle adventure needs.

If you send me in your GPX tracks or POI's then I can continue to send you monthly updates for free. We will add any data to the map that you send in to us.

I have to say that I am very envious that you live in such a beautiful place! Between Nicaragua and Costa Rica, I have to say that they are two of the beautiful places for adventure riding!

If you need anything else added to the Costa Rica GPS map then email me at support@gpstravelmaps.com and I will personal make sure it is added to the data then I will have the updated GPS map emailed to you for free.

Warm Regards,
Michael
Co-Owner GPSTravelMaps.com

GPSTravelMaps.com screwed with this post 05-31-2010 at 02:57 PM
GPSTravelMaps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
candohome
Notta Poser

Oddometer: 254
The Gap?

When will you have a map for The Gap? That boat ride is a killer!
US# 507-593-9550
skypename - candohome
candohome is offline   Reply With Quote